Is this normal?

s.e.acree1990@gmail.

Newly Enlightened
I am new to rechargeable batteries, and I recently purchased a Malkoff MD2 HA SHO. It says it can use 18650 batteries, and I ordered some from Orbtronic. The end of the battery is starting to show wear, and with all the warnings on 18650 batteries it has me worried. I have only had the light about 2 weeks. I know this might be a stupid question, but I figured I would ask on here as a long time lurker. Thanks.
Untitled picture.png
Untitled picture.png

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The cell is a bit to long for this light, spring is pushing hard, this is a protected cell, so pcb makes it a bit longer, use unprotected cells, which are shorter.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can disassemble the tail, remove the switch and smooth out the tip of the spring with sandpaper or a whetstone. I did this all the time with McClicky switshes so they don't scratch my batteries

This is a 16650, they are about 6 years old, these damages were in the first months of their life, until I noticed that the tip of the spring was biting into. Now they live well

1705086004312.png

The cell length does not matter, Malkoff himself sells the same protected 18650 from Keeppower, they are not shorter than Orbtronic

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Is that rust on the rear of the battery? If so, dispose of it properly and get a new one. I've literally never seen that before, and I own countless 18650 cells.

s.e.acree1990@gmail.

Newly Enlightened
Is that rust on the rear of the battery? If so, dispose of it properly and get a new one. I've literally never seen that before, and I own countless 18650 cells.
It is not rust. It is the outer coating/layer of whatever material it is has been scraped, or gouged off. I think the other members are right about the clicky switch spring doing it. I have been removing the battery through the tail cap, and it does feel sharp too.