Emitter upgrade options in a Streamlight Stinger DS LED HP?

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, first post here! I am a complete noob to light modding. I just purchased one of those cheap budget Chinese branded "high power" lights to begin my modding journey lol. So, I am a Police Officer, and like almost all LE (at least here in TX) I have the usual streamlight LED flashlight (purchased new in 2011). I know the bug will eventually bite me, and I will start spending money on plenty of amazing lights (I really like the Olight SR96!), but as far as convenience goes, my SL will still be my belt light, as there is always a charger for it anywhere I am (at the office, at home and in the patrol cars).

My question is, what are my options for increasing the output as much as possible? I am still reading up and learning, but it looks like the emitter in my light is an XR-E (not sure what bin), so as far as direct replacement goes, an MC-E should fit perfect and provide MUCH more output, correct? However, I am not sure what the output is on the current driver in this light, and if I would need, or even COULD put a new driver in to better suit the new emitter (being that my SL is a dual switch). And finally, in order to keep this light as more of a thrower, would I need to replace or modify the reflector in any way?

As many of these lights as there are out there in the world of LE, I was surprised that I didn't find more info online as to them being modded. I found a couple threads pertaining to older Stingers (one got an SSC P7 mod!), but that is about all. I hope I can find the perfect Emitter/ Driver combo for this light!

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, as I am sure I missed a few things here. I hope I posted this in the correct subforum. I look forward to learning all that I can stuff into my brain about lights, and meeting some of you! And thanks in advance!

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Hey, Thanks norm! Unfortunately, I had already tried almost that exact search lol. Couldn't find anyone modding the version I have. I will continue in my search, and hope someone can chime in with some experience!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose the first question is which model do you have? I see at least three Stingers that have the dual switch. Have you had it apart? Some photos would probably help.

It should be mentioned that possibly the better route is to get an Elzetta or Malkoff and know you have a solid light than to dump money into a 3 year old light. Lots of options, certainly!

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Woops! Sorry about that. I put the model in the thread title and totally forgot to put it in my text, it was pretty late at night lol. I have the Stinger DS LED HP (the older one from 2010-11, not the newer 350 lumen version). That is all that it says on it (it was a gift from an old chief, so I have no box). I am not sure how many lights they are making with dual switches these days. And yes! I have had it torn down, couldn't resist once I began reading these forums lol. As soon as my post count is high enough I would be happy to post pics! I need 3 posts right? lol.

I agree with you that as far as lights go, there are MUCH better options, and I will be taking full advantage of those too! But for duty use, I prefer this one, as it is a good belt light and I can always throw it into a charger or swap it for a fully charged one at any time, and know that the fully charged light will fit in my belt holster until mine is charged. I just really want more power out of it, not concerned too much with battery life (extra batteries and extended batteries are cheap and easy to come by online). So, I have seen the names Elzetta and Malkoff tossed around before, I have yet to look into them, will do that! Thank you guys for the input thus far. This seems like a great forum.

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Well I am going to attempt to post a few pics of the light from Tapatalk.
678b988d8e60035fb1e6e9b49db8b179.jpg
cd9d37e20bd655ef8928063ae15c230c.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sure looks like you can unsolder that existing emitter board. You can grab an xml2 already on a board (usually called a mpcb) from eBay. I've purchased from vestureofblood, who also sells here I think.

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Cool that's what I was hoping to do. Think 0.7~1 amp would be enough to drive an XML 2? I doubt the driver in here now will push any more than 1a.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool that's what I was hoping to do. Think 0.7~1 amp would be enough to drive an XML 2? I doubt the driver in here now will push any more than 1a.

it should be able to drive it fine. If I'm interpreting you correctly, I don't believe there's much of a minimum "start up current" needed for these LEDs. Now, .00001 mA wouldn't start it of course, but with the current your driver will likely be using I have my doubts it'll be an issue.

Do you know what efficiency bin your XM-L2 will be? you can see the output (at the LED) for different bins of XM-L2 (and others) here: http://flashlightwiki.com/Cree#XM-L2

if we assume you get, say, a T6 XM-L2, at 700 mA you'd get about 318-341 LED lumens (not out the front / OTF), but 300mA more bumps it up about 100 lumens more.

the old LED youre replacing looks like a Cree XR-E, so an XM-L2 will surely give you a much different beam profile

edit: I'd also suggest considering an XP-G2 if you want to keep a good amount of throw in the beam. the XP-G2 may provide a beam more similar, but more powerful, to the old XR-E than an XM-L2 would.

Hey, maybe try both and see what you like best haha

Last edited:

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Hey, awesome info! Thanks for the link too. I will look into the XML-2 and the XP-G2. I do prefer it to still have some throw, so that may be a better bet for me. I will keep this thread updates with any progress I make!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, awesome info! Thanks for the link too. I will look into the XML-2 and the XP-G2. I do prefer it to still have some throw, so that may be a better bet for me. I will keep this thread updates with any progress I make!

no problem at all and do keep us in the loop. welcome to cpf

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
So, its been a while since I started this thread. just figured I would update it, as I hate finding unfinished threads. I ordered an XP-G2 from vesturreofblood. Ill update when I get it installed. I suppose I need to get some thermal glue.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, its been a while since I started this thread. just figured I would update it, as I hate finding unfinished threads. I ordered an XP-G2 from vesturreofblood. Ill update when I get it installed. I suppose I need to get some thermal glue.

nice! keep us posted

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Will do! I forgot to mention, the LED that is currently in the light finally burned up on me. Seems the star wasn't properly glued to down, and it overheated. It still turns on, but is very dim and yellow tinted. I will post a pic of it once I get it out. Where is a good place to buy Thermal glue? I assume for something like this, a lower output light, that basic Fujik should be fine?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will do! I forgot to mention, the LED that is currently in the light finally burned up on me. Seems the star wasn't properly glued to down, and it overheated. It still turns on, but is very dim and yellow tinted. I will post a pic of it once I get it out. Where is a good place to buy Thermal glue? I assume for something like this, a lower output light, that basic Fujik should be fine?

I think most people use Arctic Silver (paste and adhesive available)

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
I have plenty of that, and other Thermal paste lying around from various CPU/GPU repaste jobs. I thought that for LEDs paste wasn't sticky enough. I remember reading somewhere that for these applications it needs to be glued. But if I am wrong then thats good!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, you should not need thermal epoxy. Just use the Arctic Silver thermal compound you already have. The reflector will apply downward pressure on the LED/MCPCB. The other good thing about thermal compound is that you can easily adjust the LED if it isn't centered well. Just be careful to watch and make sure your plus and minus wires and MCPCB contacts don't touch the reflector. You will smoke the driver if that happens.

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Awesome. Thanks for the info. And yeah I will make sure everything is seated correctly and no contact from the wires to the reflector etc. I will post pics and beamshots when its done. LED wont be here til dec 9th though.

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Crap... I totally screwed up. I'll go ahead and file this under noob idiocies. First off, kudos to vestureofblood for the fast shipping. ETA was Dec 9th. Well, it just came in the mail. Looks like I ordered the wrong size. I guess I don't know how to measure these things lol. I now have a spare 10MM emitter. Should have ordered 20MM I guess. It also seems I have forgotten how to attach pictures..

Blue Bomber

Newly Enlightened
Well, NVM. Looks like I won't be uploading any more images of this project. Attachments are only for paid subscriptions now. When did that change? I was able to upload pics to this thread before.