Police/Tac Light

Shrike9

Newly Enlightened
Hummmm I'm having a hard time trying out what flashlight to get as a back up to my Mag-Charger flashlight. The mag charger is always close at hand (in my bag) but when it dies or is forgotten (working days and who really needs a flashlight working days
wink.gif
wink.gif
)

I need something that will fit on a pistol belt, not take up much room, fit tight without coming loose & getting lost or accidentally turning on & burning out the batts.

My duty weapon can be either a M16 (GAU 5A/A) or a Beretta 92FS.

What would a good backup flashlight be and why??

Where should I purchase it??

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'd go for my StealthLites before any Maglite. I've never broken a stealthLite even when I threw it out of a 3rd floor window onto concrete to show it's as tough as they come. Seriously, I thought it'd not make it, but it was still shining merrily away. I was rather drunk - I'm just glad I didn't throw my 12PM!!!

So the Pelican StealthLite is safe in the hands of drunks, but not against sharks, bears or nailpolish remover...go figure!

Al.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you want a rechargeable flashlight for a backup? The two best are the Streamlight Stinger, or the SureFire 9N,maybe the SureFire 8X (not as bright as the 9N but smaller.) The regular SureFires are nice as a backup since the lithium batteries are small (as are the lights), and have a long shelf life. However if your going to be using it relatively often the price of the batteries gets outragous, around $6.00 each. Thre Streamlight Scorpion is also a good light, about as bright as the SureFire 6P (with the regular lamp), but usually only around $35.00 instead of $65.00 for the 6P. The Pelican lights do seem to be good, but I've no real experience with them. The batteries (alkaline) certainly are cheaper than the lithiums though. That's about the biggest disadvantage to the SureFires, Streamlight Scorpion.

Jedi, actually the M16 (or AR15) IS issued to a number of police departments. Not as a primary weapon for the patrol officer, either in the car instead of, or along with a shotgun, or for the SWAT (ESU, SRT, etc.) teams.

[This message has been edited by Unicorn (edited 09-22-2000).]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I know a lot of police carry Surefire flashlights- their newest model, the Centurian, has a lockout on the tailcap to prevent accidental activation. Downsides, however, are that the light is expensive (around $100 US) and battery life is only around an hour. Plusses are that it is quite small, and there are many, many carry systems available for it. Also, it's just plain cool!
If you want something cheaper but still relatively compact and bright, try the Pelican Stealthlight. This is a 4AA cell flashlight that is as bright as a 3 "D" cell Maglight and much smaller and lighter. This light costs about $22 to $28 US. I own one and it is a well made light.
Just out of curiosity, are you MP? Your weapon selection seems to be current military, and I don't think that any US police are issued M16 rifles (yet).

JK

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
For day watch/back-up, go for a Streamlight Scorpion. It's small, lightweight, and super bright, and about 20 bucks less than a Surefire 6P.

--dan

Shrike9

Newly Enlightened
Thaks all, I've found a site http://www.skdtac.com/ that seems to have rather good prices on the 6P/Z (48/61)and 9P/Z (71/77) and a 10 pack of duracell batts for $35.00. Now to figgure out what light I really want/need.

Yep I'm in the USAF Security Forces (military police) Right now I babysit ICBM's and am getting ready for another trip to the sandbox.

[This message has been edited by Shrike9 (edited 09-23-2000).]

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between the 6P or 9P, I'd go with the 9P. It's quite a bit brighter and only a little bigger. Check out the new P91 lamp. It's 200+ lumens instead of the normal 105, but it does run the batteries down in about 15 minutes. Be careful where you keep it though. I melted the lens on mine one night. I was carrying it bezel (lens) down and the switch got caught under the bottom edge of my vest and I had this not feeling on my side. They do make a locking tail cap for it but it's more money. If you want the smaller 6P size look at the D2 and M2. Both are evolutions of hte 6P, with a locking tailcap and a pocket clip. The M2 also has an octogon shape so it doesn't roll, and a pyrex lens. With the 6p, D2, and M2 you can also use the P61 lamp, 110 lumens for 15-20 minutes. The normal lamp is 65 lumens for 1 hour. The M2 is priced high though, usually around $120, and the D2 is around $80.00.