Safe lithium batteries with a long service life

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is noteworthy about this battery is that it appears to just be a revision of an existing lithium ion chemistry that is already safe and long lasting - LiFePO4. It appears the major change with this battery is that the anode has been changed from conventional graphite to lithium titanate. Whether this change will be able to improve on the relatively low capacity of LiFePO4 is unknown. Also unknown is the voltage. But if this change could improve capacity AND make a 3.7V lithium ion battery with the voltage stability of LiFePO4, that would be GREAT.

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
For anyone wanting safe lithium chemistry now...checkout K2 and/or Surefire that use LFP/ LiFePO4​. They have plenty of capacity for my needs, and no abrupt termination when I'm in the dark. More capacity would be requested if I was draining my batteries every hour. Relatively, I charge my phone more often than my flashlight batteries, by a wide margin.

IonicBond

Enlightened
Loads of stories like these come out every day from labs all over. Making it to market, and making them available to average consumers and not just OEM's is another story.

Some appear to be just investor-bait, and others may be patent-troll fodder. Bring it out of the lab, and into the marketplace and then we'll decide. Too much "vaporware" out there.