Hydro Graphics Video, Dipping a 2D Maglite - Flames

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
This...
KwVkMY.jpg

Just finished dipping, drying and clear coat.

Here's a rather long video, Again! About the dipping process and my experiences trying to dip.

It's been a real challenge, but I did make something that sort of looks like a dipped part.
Just an FYI. I will take a photo of the finished light when it is done.
Without the support of a certain member here, none of this would ever have happened. I will let him remain unknown, unless he wants to be known. All the thanks go to him.

10/11/14 Added a Skull pattern and added the Camo to the OP
sqAd7q.jpg

oQiZ6i.jpg

v8gK9l.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
the shot of you blowing the air bubble out of the film with mask and rubber gloves, thinking Walter White/Breaking Bad

thanks for sharing and looking forward to the final product

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I am totally amazed there is not a bigger market for lights done like this.
I don't think it's really been done before. Not with Maglites anyhow. If I had a shop to do it in, I would do a bunch of them, with camo, rain drops, flags, etc. I just don't have the facilities for more than one or two here and there. Besides, without spraying epoxy clear coat, they just won't be as tough of a finish.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's really been done before. Not with Maglites anyhow.

So all Maglite Old-Lumens mods will now have a nice dipped film? Wood grain pattern for me please! Someone needs to design a pattern/logo for you.

I am totally amazed there is not a bigger market for lights done like this.

There was a place around where I live that did custom hydrographics for helmets. I'm sure they could dip all things. I think I've seen car bonnets in the shop too. The service is around, and I imagine it would be around in the UK too. Maybe not Wales as you don't want sheep running around with patterns do you?

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I said I would update with photos of the finished light. I have two of them to show. Here they are.

B49Syn.jpg

EMOBpu.jpg

qgJhqI.jpg

sqi5m5.jpg

3NDY0c.jpg

vjNDRZ.jpg

I am not able to dip the tail caps. They need to be dipped the same time as the light and in the same orientation, but then there's no way to hold the light, so the tail caps don't have pattern on them. On the flames light, I left the bezel and tail polished. Also the top of the head, where the grooved ring is. The dip won't cover that right. For dipping, parts need to be smooth. Roughness causes the ink to not get in the low spots. Both lights are done the best I can. I think the Camo actually looks better than the flames.

I am going to do 2-4 of the 3rd Gen Maglites. The heads are smooth, so they might be better to dip.

badazzelanore

Newly Enlightened
Looks great, I love hydro dipping. I think it is amazing some of the patterns they can dip. You should do a black mag light with some silver "ghost" skull pattern. That would look awesome.