LED HPS Retrofit

bradsab

Newly Enlightened
Looking for some advice. My business has two post lights with three white acrylic globes each. Each globe has a 35W HPS lamp. I've always wished they were a little brighter and never really liked the orange 2000K color, but my shop was by itself on the edge of town, and it didn't look bad. Now a new store has opened next to me and it's lit up like daylight with Metal Halide, making my place look dingy. I'm trying to decide weather to retrofit with Metal Halide or LED.

I've been using 35W, 24,000 hr HPS lamps with 2250 lumens. The Metal Halide lamp I'm looking at is 35W, 3300 lumens, 12,000 hr life @ 4200K, or a 3000K lamp with 3400 lumens, 15,000 hr life. Ballast, lamp & G12 socket base will cost about $105. It will take some minor modification to get the new ballast/socket in place.

There are several LED retrofit options similar to this https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/94237/LED-8023NW.html Most are in this $158 price range and claim a 50,000 hr life. Has the same base, so I just need to remove the ballast. I did a search for HPS LED Retrofit Lamps here on CPF but didn't come up with anything. I've never heard of anyone using them, and I'm leery about shelling out $1000 for something I am unfamiliar with.

A third option I've been kicking around is building my own LED retrofits. Ideally, I'd like to throw more light on my building and less toward the highway. Maybe that wouldn't work the way I envision it, putting more/brighter LED's on the building side, but still have enough on the highway side so the globe looks bright to passersby. Would need help designing, though.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

myan

Newly Enlightened
Only advise I have is make sure you can search for it and find it on this list

https://www.designlights.org/qpl

They test for rebates and all good stuff if your product is not on this list think twice or three times. :twothumbs

Optical Inferno

Enlightened
Actually, some pics of the light stand may help the rest of us recommend you a suitable replacement. If you are planning on having to modify the light to accommodate an off the shelf solution, perhaps you may be able to replace the entire head instead of just the bulb and socket.

You may also consider talking to a local electrical supply regarding the lighting upgrade. Be sure to talk to their lighting guy and not just their electrical supply clerk.

Also, the above link may have some acceptable replacements, but do not use it as a be-all end-all. Some of the stuff on there I wouldn't consider as acceptable.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, some pics of the light stand may help the rest of us recommend you a suitable replacement. If you are planning on having to modify the light to accommodate an off the shelf solution, perhaps you may be able to replace the entire head instead of just the bulb and socket.

You may also consider talking to a local electrical supply regarding the lighting upgrade. Be sure to talk to their lighting guy and not just their electrical supply clerk.

Also, the above link may have some acceptable replacements, but do not use it as a be-all end-all. Some of the stuff on there I wouldn't consider as acceptable.

Could you send me a pic of the fixture? I have made a few prototyes which should work.

bradsab

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I've been away for a while, will not be able to work on this for another week. I'll try to post a pic of the light becore then

bradsab

Newly Enlightened
Well, I must be too much of a noob to post pics; it says "You may not post attachments", and there's no place to upload under advanced reply. The globes are 12" dia. white acrylic with a 4" neck.