Understand Blue LED

rutcgr18

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys and girls
I am looking for the brightness BLUE or royal blued leds. I am not confused how they measure the light about of blue leds. I know with white they are messure in lumens but i just dont understand how to figure out what is bright in terms of blue leds. What LEDS do wheelen use in there Lightbars?
Can some explain?
Thanks
Mike

Blitzwing

Enlightened
Cree state the output of the blue xp-e in lumens. Luminus Devices make about the most powerful coloured emitters, rating the blue PT121 at 850 to 1180 lumens.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
We may need an expert here, but I'm pretty sure all white leds enjoy blue light that is then made white by a layer of phosphorous on top of the die. When they make the leds, there is a giant sheet of them that are cut apart to make the little dies we buy, after they are mounted on a pcb and binned by flux and color temp.

I would be willing to bet that a blue led can put out more lumens per watt than a white one because there is no phosphorous to get in the way.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
We may need an expert here, but I'm pretty sure all white leds enjoy blue light that is then made white by a layer of phosphorous on top of the die.
I would be willing to bet that a blue led can put out more lumens per watt than a white one because there is no phosphorous to get in the way.
It is phosphor, not phosphorous. :eek:

Actually, white LEDs have a higher lumen per watt efficiency because the human eye is not as sensitive to deep blue light as it is to yellow-green. In fact, the Philips Lime LED, where all the emitter energy is absorbed and converted by the yellow-green phosphor, is about the most efficient LED there is, in terms of lumens.

SemiMan

Banned
rutcgr18. Based on what you have written, I will assume by bright you mean human perception of brightness. In that case, all you care about it the lumens. Royal blue LEDs are usually rated in watts as they are not used for illumination but for pumping phosphor or for non-visual uses. Their lumens is always low because as Anders pointed out, the eye is not very sensitive to shorter blue wavelengths.