Interesting see/be seen light system ($100)

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
functionally, that's not a bad design. I like the idea of having the light source spread out over a large area.

Would I use it? ummm... who knows. Every design has compromises. I think I'd be concerned about my panniers blocking the view of the rear LED strips. I'm also not sure I'd spend that much for a light that is only a "be seen" light, since a conventional headlight would need to be added.

For urban areas, this would certainly help get you noticed among the sea of car lights.

BrianMc

Enlightened
^ Some mount them horizontal on the rear of panniers. There are extensions for the wiring harness. so they could be shifted between the stays and the bags. Santa is bringing a set. I see them as adjuncts to my main lighting system. Here is is not the sea of lights but a lack of cyclists means they are not watching for cyclists, so you have to benetrate the brain fog.

IWANTBLUE

Newly Enlightened
Nice Idea, but seems a little 'fussy' maybe?

I really fancy COB led's for the rear though having seen the serfas thunderbolt...

Has anyone tried the generic Chinese knock-off COB version of the serfas and Moon COB led's

cheers.

BrianMc

Enlightened
The LITE system is cheaper than four Thunderbolts. Santa is bringing a set. Will review.

BrianMc

Enlightened
Well I got late day, and night video. The day video was shot on the day setting with no F Stops to increase exposure and lighten the video. I am guessing that this would be like a senior with some night vision issues using sunglasses into that low sun, especially so at the end as the sun was going down. My headlights were in night mode (straight ahead). The LED SOL 48's were at about 15 degree out turn, as suggested by Lite. You can see the left turn signal just at the end of the day part. In the day, they are outshone by Hi-Vis clothing, even in shadow of a sinking sun. In the day they add a bit of visibility once the bike was a second or so from the camera (that was turned like a driver looking to the right before pulling out). If they are looking elsewhere that second, they will not be seen. About what the reflectors do at night. Day performance is poor to fair. Though they look great in static mode and so would look great in a court room. "You couldn't see this?"

The high steady state added some visibility at night in full broadside view as I coasted down the drive. UFO? Sort of thing. Both levels look OK at night but the high is a bit better for distance. No surprise there. The turn signals are visible at night from the side not so much from the front with good headlights washing things out. The rear is fine and should look good to overtaking motorists.

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

Hard to beat good Hi-Vis on sunny days and powerful 180+ degree head and taillights. I might rotate the fronts especially out to 30 maybe 45 degrees to get more impact on cross street drivers.