New projector lamp from Osram uses array of blue lasers

SemiMan

Banned
Thanks for clarifying, Semiman. Nothing gets past you! :)

It's my job .... figuratively and literally :)

That said, you could couple those into fibers and illuminate a small piece of extremely well heat sunk phosphor to make a standard projector. Phosphor has incredible power handling capability. Its the binders and everything else that has troubles.

Semiman

yag-freak

Newly Enlightened
That is not a projector lamp, that is for a scanned laser projector.

I don't know if I get it right?
You say scanned laser projector. Do you mean laser projectors used in laser light shows?

That's more or less my business and I think the Osram module is made for the "normal" video projectors to watch movies with.

In fact we "harvested" once casio video projectors for their diodes to use them in a showlaser :)

Normaly you have the blue lasers in the video projectors. This light is then again partly converted to green (phospor) and coupled with red LED most of the time. There you get your RGB for your DLP engine or similar.

To use this in an showlaser system one could use a telescope to reduce beamsize and get a small diameter beam, but I'm afraid that the orientation of the diodes in the array is not ment to be parallel over really long distances. It would increase the cost of such a module to much for the designated application.

Also I would rather couple half of the diodes via their polarisation with the others before beamforming.

Just my two cents.

Steffen

(from the country where Osram comes from)

SemiMan

Banned
I don't know if I get it right?
You say scanned laser projector. Do you mean laser projectors used in laser light shows?

That's more or less my business and I think the Osram module is made for the "normal" video projectors to watch movies with.

In fact we "harvested" once casio video projectors for their diodes to use them in a showlaser :)

Normaly you have the blue lasers in the video projectors. This light is then again partly converted to green (phospor) and coupled with red LED most of the time. There you get your RGB for your DLP engine or similar.

To use this in an showlaser system one could use a telescope to reduce beamsize and get a small diameter beam, but I'm afraid that the orientation of the diodes in the array is not ment to be parallel over really long distances. It would increase the cost of such a module to much for the designated application.

Also I would rather couple half of the diodes via their polarisation with the others before beamforming.

Just my two cents.

Steffen

(from the country where Osram comes from)

I step back and slap myself upside the head for not reading deeply enough :-(

Yes these are targeted at blue + red/green phosphor converted projectors. When I first saw the package I thought it was much smaller than it is and targeted at scanned laser projectors, but nope, "traditional" methods. Yes there are prototype scanned laser projectors, but alignment and brightness is the issue.

I am seeing movement to red phosphor. Better raw efficiencies, much less temperature control needed, and higher source brightness.

To answer other questions, this technique or a version of is already used in an automotive headlight.

yag-freak

Newly Enlightened
As I saw it by Audi the headlights are also "just" via phosphor to white converted blue laserlight. Using a direct beam as a headlight is perhaps not the safest idea :)
And also you get a light that is not easily to look at, because of interference issues you would see specle in your projection on the road.

But nevertheless I am a fan of the laser headlights.
They are highly efficient, have a long duration and you can do cool stuff with it.
Cool stuff is:
You have an array of lightsources which are converted to white light and you can switch them on and off independently.
The doing the following: You have your high beam on and a camera is looking forward for the headlights of other cars coming towards you.
Then the position of the other car is calculated and exact that port of the your beam (part of the projection of your headlights) which would hit the other driver is shut down.
That looks so amazing. You have your high beam on and an area like a shadow is tracking the other car, so that his driver is not getting blinded.

Like it!

Steffen

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh! I was just reading about a '47 Plymouth that did that. The more things change, the more they stay the same! :)

Well, the new system sounds better. Steering headlights have been around for a bit.

wizardofbatt

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately truly blue lasers are still tough to come by. The laser diodes skipped over blue from green to violet. With them laser projectors will be more practical, though the scanning bandwidth is enormous for high res video.

wiz