Olight ST25 Baton, 2x 14500 in parallel

vixsomnis

Newly Enlightened
The ST25 Baton officially only supports 2x AA (~3V) and 1x 14500 (~3.7V). However, is it possible to run this flashlight with 2x 14500 in parallel (~3.7V w/2x capacity)? Firstly, how would I ensure that this is safe? Secondly, how would I connect them in parallel within the small confines of the battery compartment, and without shorting anything?

I've purchased this flashlight already (in the mail), but I only have a general idea of how much space is in the compartment. I'll be using AAs for the meantime.

Any tips on running two li-ions in parallel? Any hazards I should know about beyond general li-ion safety?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a narrow tube that stacks AAs, so I don't know how you'd possibly wire it up to run parallel without splitting open the tube and performing major surgery on it, if it's even possible.

Get some good Eneloops and call it a day.

Chris

ChibiM

Enlightened
What Chis said. I don`t know how you gonna use 2 14500cells in parallel in that light!?
I guess some people might be able to make it work, but you probably have to cut/dremel a bit of the battery tube.
But if its as thin as the Olight S15 I had, you`ll have a serious job.. because its very thin.

just putting 14500 cells in series will probably result in some fried electronics smell!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely would have a bunch of risks, if even possible - what's the benefit over say 2x Eneloop XXXs?

vixsomnis

Newly Enlightened
I checked it for space when I got it, and yeah, there was no room. Which I guess is a good thing (the batteries would rattle otherwise). I'm using AmazonBasics eneloop equivalents instead and it's working fine. Checking capacity and voltage, there doesn't seem to a significant difference. It's theoretically possible, but not worth it. The light is pretty bright anyway, and the AAs last a while before needing a recharge. It definitely won't fry the board if it's wired up correctly. The Olight page lists it being compatible with a single 14500 / spacer, so it should work in parallel as well. Really just a space constraint. I'll try it if I ever end up with a supply of 14500s.

ChibiM

Enlightened
if you ever work your way around, it would be nice if you could let us know how you did it.
It would probably involve some machining and not very easy to replace batteries.
but pls keep us updated whenever you decide in trying!

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked it for space when I got it, and yeah, there was no room. Which I guess is a good thing (the batteries would rattle otherwise). I'm using AmazonBasics eneloop equivalents instead and it's working fine. Checking capacity and voltage, there doesn't seem to a significant difference. It's theoretically possible, but not worth it. The light is pretty bright anyway, and the AAs last a while before needing a recharge. It definitely won't fry the board if it's wired up correctly. The Olight page lists it being compatible with a single 14500 / spacer, so it should work in parallel as well. Really just a space constraint. I'll try it if I ever end up with a supply of 14500s.
If you draw it out on paper you can easily see the issue. You need to connect the two + and the two - together, while still retaining in contact with the tail cap and driver.

A carrier of some kind would work, but the limited tube diameter would make this very tricky. And considering the length of the light, you'd just be better off with an 18650 light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much more power, brighter and longer runtimes and better regulation.

I was thinking this light might have a buck/boost driver like the S15 Batons, and therefore limit the max output to the same whether 2AA or a Li-ion. However, since the light is only designed for ~3V, it may not have the buck driver and would go direct drive on a Li-ion (brighter), in which case it would probably lose or shift all/most of the lower modes too. To each his own, but I never like running Li-ions in direct drive lights.

BTW, an Eneloop XXX has as much energy (watt-hrs) as the best 14500s, so runtime will not be any better.