3v led strip sources

NKAc_Street

Newly Enlightened
New to the forum, I didn't see an edit button. I should have clarified in the above post that I need bright white led strips.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I am only aware of 12V and 24V (DC) LED strips.

Two reasons come to mind:
  • Blue die (used by the vast majority of white LED) get down to around 3V forward voltage, thus a 3V strip could not regulate current using the simplest method - a resistor, which needs voltage overhead to work. One could use some sort of DC-DC converter, but that adds appreciable complexity with a resultant cost increase.
  • The current requirements would scale far faster at 3V than 12 and 24V, which run 3 and 6 LED's respectively per string. You would need to provide 3-6x as much current per unit length of 3V strip as 12/24V strip; this becomes a significant limitation with >5A power supplies being a bit of a rarity and the need for heavier-gauge wire than 12/24V strips.

This begs the question - why do you want 3V strips? UL-rated 12 and 24V regulated power supplies are reasonably inexpensive and broadly available at sufficient current ratings to drive more length of strip than you're likely to want to run in any one location. There are also no shortage of remote controls, dimmers, and solder-free connector systems for 12/24V systems.

NKAc_Street

Newly Enlightened
Have a project in mind that would power the strips from a usb port on a computer.