AA EDC w/ extension tube for camping etc

snigelkott

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys!

I'm looking for a flashlight that use 1 AA with the possibility to run on 2 AA.
Going to use it for EDC and some camping, that's also why I want it to run on AAs I want to be sure to always have access to fresh batteries if my eneloops run out.
I have checked out the S15 and the Neutron 2A v2 but I would still like to run it buy people here.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (world wide shipping).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Up to $60.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

__x__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights)..
I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance

IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

Other, pocket and backpack

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, it's a coin toss. The OL has a better QC/warranty/CS, a floodier beam, more honest specs, and supports CRAAs but it's large/exposed button really needs to be locked out. The TN is throwier, more powerful, with a faster UI, but lots of folks have had QC issues with their samples (mines fine) and TNs always have a massive gap between firefly and low that make them unsuitable (for me) for close task work while camping (OLs is kinda wide too). Personally I like Quarks (QP2A-X w/1AA tube) the most for camping for its low mode spacing, mechanical clicky, momentary max from ON and ability to run on any battery in a pinch. They are above your budget, and are evaporating (discontinued) though :(.

UnderPar

Enlightened
FourSevens Quarks! I second to reppans. Get a Quark QPA or QTA light then purchase a separate 2xAA tube so you can change your light from 1xAA or 2xAA. You may also do it the other way around. Get a QP2A-X then get a separate 1xAA tube as recommended by reppans. HTH

snigelkott

Newly Enlightened
I've read that some people have had problems with the TN, any idea of how common it is? I've been eyeing the s15r too and I wonder if you can buy an extension tube and run it on NiMHs if the li-ion runs out, anyone know if it's possible?
I wish i could stretch my budget even further but 60 is what i can spend.
I'm open to other suggestions if you know of other lights.

Edit: Read selfbuilt's s15r review and 2 AA seem to work.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would like to see is a 3xAA extender for the SC52. That way, you could run the light on 1xAA (or a 14500) on the trail, or go with 3xAA for a long runtime at the campsite. Of course, a 2xAA extender wouldn't work since the light would see 2xAA as a depleted 14500. But 3xAA would run the light like a high capacity 14500, even allowing the 500 lumen burst mode.

Now I know this is kind of deviating from the original topic here. But for camping, I actually prefer Li-Ion to AA. The reason? Li-Ion is easier to charge 'on the go'. Chargers like the Xtar VC and MC series can easily charge Li-Ion batteries on the go either in a car or with a small solar panel. On the other hand, USB NiMH chargers are mostly junk. Of course, both the Olight S15 and Neutron 2A v2 can be used with a 14500. So if you get either of these lights, you can always experiment with 14500s.

Last edited:

UnderPar

Enlightened
I've read that some people have had problems with the TN, any idea of how common it is? I've been eyeing the s15r too and I wonder if you can buy an extension tube and run it on NiMHs if the li-ion runs out, anyone know if it's possible?
I wish i could stretch my budget even further but 60 is what i can spend.
I'm open to other suggestions if you know of other lights.

Edit: Read selfbuilt's s15r review and 2 AA seem to work.

Yes, S15R has an optional extension tube and therefore can be powered by 2xAA NiMH or Alkaline batteries.

Berneck1

Enlightened
The Neutron 2A V2 would be your best option.... However, the switch on the light is a little too sensitive to being accidentally activated. I am also experiencing issues with battery drain when left sitting for a week or two. I have read that some people are also having this issue.

That being said, if this light didn't have these issues, it would blow everything else away in the category.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

snigelkott

Newly Enlightened
I don't feel like I'm any closer to choosing!!!
I like the S15R because of the easy charging option for everyday use, but the Neutron seem like a great light but I'm really concerned about the QC issues :/

Berneck1

Enlightened
I don't feel like I'm any closer to choosing!!!
I like the S15R because of the easy charging option for everyday use, but the Neutron seem like a great light but I'm really concerned about the QC issues :/

Yeah, I emailed Thrunite today about the problems I have had with the Neutron. When the batteries are fully charged, it blows away any other 2xAA light I have. It's very impressive. However, it's useless in a real emergency or for camping, edc, etc...when the batteries drain down from just sitting there....

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the batteries are fully charged, it blows away any other 2xAA light I have. It's very impressive.

Another issue I see with the Neutron is that, although its brightness may be impressive, it will only be impressive for a short time. Within a few minutes, brightness is down to 230 lumens - less than an Eagletac D25A2. It will admittedly blow away the Eagletac in those first few minutes. But if you are after sustained output, the Eagletac is the brighter light.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
I have a couple of lights that work in both 1xAA and 2xAA configuration -- and while it's a neat feature to be able to switch, I don't think it makes a flashlight better for EDC or camping. I'd advise focusing on other criteria in making your selection.

For one thing, there are relatively few AA lights that work equally well in both a 1xAA and 2xAA configuration, and so limiting yourself to those choices is, well... limiting. If you already think a Foursevens Quark is perfect for you, well then great, go for it! The option to swap battery tubes is icing on the cake, -- however, for me that feature wouldn't be a compelling reason to choose that light otherwise.

For my uses, a good EDC light works equally well as a camping light. For both uses, I want compact, efficient, reliable, and floody, with the option of a moonlight-low -- and I have little use for output over 200 lumens. If that rings true, then I'd focus on meeting your EDC requirements which likely account for 90%+ of use, and just carry some extra batteries when you go camping. On the other hand, if your camping requirements are very different from EDC (e.g., you want a lot of throw for one and lots of flood for the other), then you should probably get different lights for each use case, and an extension tube will not get you there.

I suppose the decision depends upon what type of camping you're doing, and how you want to carry the light for EDC. I like the 2xAA form when it's cold and I'm wearing gloves; the longer tube gives me more to hold onto. I EDC a 2xAA light in my laptop bag because I have the space and the extra weight isn't noticeable. And if by "camping" you mean parking your car next to the campsite, then I guess there's no harm in bringing a bigger light. However, I prefer single-cell form factor for pretty much every other use case, and especially when backpacking or canoe camping due to less weight and space taken up. I'm going to bring a backup in any case, and a smaller footprint makes more sense since I'm bringing 2+.

If I HAD to choose between the S15R and the Neutron V2, it'd be the S15. I'm not personally a fan of Thrunite due to quality control issues I've experienced with their lights in the past, -- but plenty of people seem to like them, so perhaps I've just had bad luck. My experience with Olight has been entirely positive, but my purchases are not a representative sample size, and my personal experience with brand reliability is therefore anecdotal. I have the older, titanium, non-rechargeable version of the S15 Baton, and it's a nice light. But I don't think it's a great EDC because of the clip and the proud button. The S15R should be better on the latter count, but I don't think they made the clip much better in the 'R' version.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not the Foursevens Quark QPA low voltage and pack a 4xAA plastic battery carrier? It's a pretty darn solid solution versus a light with no accessories.

Lots of neat Foursevens accessories, too.

You can get wickedly long runtimes on the low modes of the Quark low voltage head.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Why not the Foursevens Quark QPA low voltage and pack a 4xAA plastic battery carrier? ...

Frankly, between the S15 and the Neutron, ... I'd have the QPA ;) however, the current Quark line is discontinued. So you have to ask yourself if you want to get one of the remaining stock before they're gone, or wait to see what the NEW series looks like when Foursevens replaces them.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

snigelkott

Newly Enlightened
Well my budget doesn't allow it so that's too bad.
I think I'll go for the S15R, unless something else comes up during February.

snigelkott

Newly Enlightened
I've found much cheaper s15rs, but if you can point me in the right direction I'd be very happy :p
I forgot to say that 60$ is with shipping included.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Just looking on Amazon, Quark QTA/QPA is $52.50 shipped (QT2A is $55), and Olight S15R is $54.95 shipped. Between $50-$60 seems to be the going rate for both lights. Not trying to push one over the other, but at first glance they are at the same price point.

snigelkott

Newly Enlightened
I've found the S15R for 45$ including shipping and Amazon don't ship for free to Sweden.
I just have to say I really love this forum, everyone is really nice. Thank you guys!