Review: Nitecore TM06: 4 x XM-L2 tiny monster, max. 3800 lumens, 4 x 18650

kj75

Enlightened
Review: Nitecore TM06: tiny monster, 3800 lumens, 4 x 18650

The latest member of Nitecore's monster family is called TM06. A very compact, high output all-rounder. A light that offers 3800 lumens out of 12 centimeters length is worth to have a look at. For me, this is the most complete light I've ever had until now. In this review I'll try to show you the details!

TM06, compact, but really a "monster"
20jim2e.jpg

15wkitu.jpg

Powered by 4 XM-L2 leds
2q9m62v.jpg

We'll start with the specs (given by Nitecore):

Features

· The world's smallest and lightest 3800lm flashlight
· Utilizes four CREE XM-L2 U2 LEDs
· Features advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology
· Tactical forward switch on the tail cap
· Innovative two stage side switch accesses different modes and functions (patented)
· Integrated power indicator on side switch indicates remaining battery power (patented)
· Power indicator displays battery voltage accurate to 0.1V
· Direct access to ultra-low or turbo output
· Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
· Integrated "Precision Digital Optics Technology" provides extreme reflector performance
· Stainless steel bezel ring protects core components from damage
· Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum alloy
· HAIII military grade hard-anodized
· Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (submersible to 2 meters)

Dimensions

Length: 4.92" (125mm)
Head diameter: 1.97" (50 mm)
Tube diameter: 1.97" (50mm)
Weight: 9.77oz (277 gram) (without battery)

Output specs:

2lndp2.jpg

Unboxing:

The TM06 is delivered, like other "monster brothers" in a simple carton box. Only the specs that are mentioned on the box look spectacular. J Please scroll down for pictures to see what's inside..

no finery here…
6jqd8w.jpg

inside: the torch, user manual, warranty card, holster, lanyard en spare o-rings
10gy3cm.jpg

Impressions:

As expected, this "tiny" is real compact, but feels rather heavy. With some exercise, you can control it with one hand. Finishing and anodizing are well done. The patent and the warnings (about using the batts etc.) are engraved in the lights body too. Could be better mentioned at the box or in the user manual IMO. The threads are well lubed, the lens is clear, but in the reflector you can see some specks. The leds are well centered. What I like about this light is the fact that it's "thought out". For example I name the double lanyard holes: Still steady tailstand with added lanyard.

nice looking torch…
9knipf.jpg

14ugpqr.jpg

4 XM-L2 leds for stunning output
2h37m1y.jpg

mind that the TM06 can be powered by 18650's only, CR123's will cause damage
35c1w5c.jpg

lubricating and finishing job excellent done
23kw35y.jpg

high-tech inside
24uzr4m.jpg

a closer look
29f8ck3.jpg

double lanyard holes: steady tailstand!
1z1d4s4.jpg

good grip, anodizing well done
23iufsx.jpg

the illuminated button has a lot of (handy) features
2d7c32r.jpg

the holster
6733nl.jpg

2yvtdz4.jpg

withstands the winter season…
24v78dv.jpg

2rroxvo.jpg

Modes:

For me, this is my only "big" light that has almost every "wished" mode. It's very complete! The TM06 has five output modes, from lower to turbo, SOS mode, strobe and beacon. The light has also a location flash built in the side button: A simple click on it to (de)activate will suffice. Handy feature for finding your Monster in the dark! TM06 has also a built-in battery-voltage check: After inserting the batteries, the blue led in the side button will tell you about the voltage. Personally, I would like you could do this on demand (not only by inserting the cells) too. This power indicator tells you also when the power is beneath 50% or critical low. Nitecore did a good job on the modes here!

User interface:

This is the first TM with a rear clicky. You always need this for on/off. When on, cycle through the modes by full pressing the side button: LOWER>LOW>MID>HIGH>TURBO> and again LOWER (and so on…). Every time when you press the side button half (like a camera shutter), you'll go one step back until LOWER. If you've got used by this, it's a very handy feature. Out of standby mode you can enter directly TURBO by full pressing/holding the side button and the clicky. For instant LOWER you press the side button half together with the tail button. Press and hold the side button (when on) for special modes: STROBE > SOS > BEACON. The TM06 has momentary on for all modes, including the special.

Tint:

My TM06 sample has a clearly visible greenish tint, especially in the lower modes. Take a look at the picture below to see the difference in tint compared to the Olight SR Mini. I'd prefer a more neutral tint (like most of us)

TM06 tint compared to the Olight SR Mini
2ryn3wn.jpg

Size comparison:

Compared to other big lights you can see how compact this TM06 is. Note that the competitors all are "3-led lights".

18650 cell, Nitecore TM06, Olight SR Mini, Fenix LD60
124d2e9.jpg

TM06, SR Mini and LD60
2n8q89d.jpg

the Fenix LD60 is clearly the "big brother"
2qjymoy.jpg

each light has its own looks
6yz69x.jpg

2ngakpf.jpg

Beamshots:

Projected on a white wall, distance to the wall about 0,75 meters.

camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, WB daylight, 35mm
34r6ee1.jpg

30tq80l.jpg

nwm3hu.jpg

2805q3s.jpg

mm6jvr.jpg

animation picture
5d09ah.jpg

I've made some outdoor shots too. Here you can see how floody the light is. You can see at the pictures that at lower mode the switch isn't illuminated.

camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, 4 sec, WB daylight, 35mm
ehje6q.jpg

34xnp8n.jpg

zskgig.jpg

2vmzeqs.jpg

zlumx.jpg

animated
2991uh.jpg

compared to the Olight SR Mini
qx766h.jpg

compared to the Fenix LD60
10qwdja.jpg

Conclusion:

I really like this monster! It's one of the most powerful and easy to carry lights at this moment. The TM06 is very complete, and offers lots of modes: 5 brightness levels, 3 special modes, instant low, instant turbo, power level indicator, location beacon in the switch, cycling up and down through the (normal) modes….it's all included! The advance temperature regulation (ART) works fine. No problem to hold it for minutes at high or turbo mode. Some things could be better: The difference between high and turbo is not that much: I expected some more power….The turbo modes works only fine with 100%, fresh loaded cells. With less power, maximum output won't be reached. The tint is (to) green, a more neutral tint would be great. The finishing of the reflector could be better. But overall, I love this high-tech monster! I've used it many time until now and will do this in the future too!

11bkopw.jpg

Thanks to Nitecore for providing me this light!

Last edited:

smooth2o

Newly Enlightened
The voltage readout on Nitecores is really nice. It appears that this model doesn't have a lockout feature, usually that turns on the voltage check. This light has anodized threads so just turn the body/end cap 1/4 turn (to lockout) and then back tight again, that will cause the voltage check to run. You should store the light with 1/4 turn loose anyway for safely. Particularly, THIS light!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your very informative review.

The size comparison and beamshot comparison with the SR Mini provides useful and interesting information. The TM06 with its 4x18650 is only a teensy weensy bit larger in diameter than the SR Mini with its 3x18650, as specs show; but it is nice to see such pictorially represented.

The TM06 is also only a teensy weensy bit heavier (with batts) than the SR Mini (with batts), too. To me, that equates to one blowing the other out of the water.

Thanks again!

kwaka636

Newly Enlightened
Nice review - thanks.

Supprised how similar high and turbo are in the photos - maybe the difference is greater in person? Is this the case for all the large lumen lights?

Thanks for the comparisons - shows how floody the tm06 is in close quarters vs the others.

ven

Flashaholic
Awesome review and beam shots,thanks for sharing:)

I really like this light too,it is a perfect example of a tiny monster:D,love the mode spacing,ability to drop down the modes via 1/2 presses. Mine is also a modded version with xml2 u3 and boosted. A 4800 OTF lumen wall of creamy white , simply astonishing output for its size and shallow reflectors.

:)

kj75

Enlightened
Nice review - thanks.

Supprised how similar high and turbo are in the photos - maybe the difference is greater in person? Is this the case for all the large lumen lights?

The difference between high and turbo isn't that much. I did'nt measure, but it seems the high mode gives more than 1500 lumens...

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Certainly not all lights are like that, but many are. As a rule of thumb, you need about four times the lumens for a light to appear twice as bright. The human eye is a TERRIBLE lux meter, and it constantly adjusts. (Pupils contract with brighter light, for example. There are even chemical changes...that's why night adaptation takes a while.) Most people would be hard pressed to notice even a doubling of output, if it happened gradually.

I can tell you that my TM26 is the same way...basically similar modes, and the difference is smaller than you would expect if you didn't take the above points into account.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I posted to another thread, if you really want to see the difference between Turbo and high, set the light to turbo and shut it off and wait a minute or two. Then use the tail cap button to turn the light on, at this point the light will be in turbo, then do a half press on the side button which will step down to high. You'll notice a difference between the two settings.

If that's not your cup of tea, turn the light on turbo and allow the temperature management system to step the light down from turbo to high.

I was performing tests on the temperature management system to see how long the light would run before it stepped down. I wasn't paying a lot of attention as I had just looked at the stop watch and laser thermometer when the light scaled back to high at 4:20 seconds. Very visible when this occurred.

kwaka636

Newly Enlightened
The difference between high and turbo isn't that much. I did'nt measure, but it seems the high mode gives more than 1500 lumens...

Thanks kj75, the 1500 lm mode looks the best power/battery trade off...

kwaka636

Newly Enlightened
Certainly not all lights are like that, but many are. As a rule of thumb, you need about four times the lumens for a light to appear twice as bright. The human eye is a TERRIBLE lux meter, and it constantly adjusts. (Pupils contract with brighter light, for example. There are even chemical changes...that's why night adaptation takes a while.) Most people would be hard pressed to notice even a doubling of output, if it happened gradually.

I can tell you that my TM26 is the same way...basically similar modes, and the difference is smaller than you would expect if you didn't take the above points into account.

Thanks thedoc007 - love the 4x guideline, yet another non linear relationship. Getting much more from the forum than expected.
Based on the above rule, it seams more practical for me to compare torch outputs with their 'hi' or maximum sustained modes rather than turbo or boost.

Jayvivet

Newly Enlightened
Hi there kj75.

I have just purchased a TM06 myself. I am loving the flashlight but after just looking at the nitecore site I am a little concerned.

The image below shows it having dual O-rings. Mine only has one, and in your picture of the threads I can't make out if yours has or not.
1-1_TM06_EN15.jpg

This image from another review says it has two O-rings and looks like it has but mine does not look like this.
148f9ac5-ed79-4487-a42c-484f8c0c636a_zps88e12eb2.jpg

Do you think a re run of this model has been started in the factory? or did it always say it had a dual o-ring?

Hope you can help

Jayvivet

Newly Enlightened
Ok.... So after emailing nitecore they have told me the dual o ring on the website is in fact an error. It should only have one. The other person who had two on after looking at his pic I think he has just put the spare o ring on the flashlight. I looked at that possibility before I had the nitecore reply and I have no idea how he closes the tail cap as its way too tight.
On another note, do you know what the thin piece of string is for in the lanyard/o ring bag?

Travelmate

Newly Enlightened
Hi

The pictures in the first post show it has a good throw. So does it really have a good throw besides being floody? Thanks

kj75

Enlightened
Hi

The pictures in the first post show it has a good throw. So does it really have a good throw besides being floody? Thanks

Yes, it has. But less than the LD60 and more than SR Mini. Most Fenix lights have decent throw.
Useful until max. 100-150 meters away.