easy custom keymate

nitebrite

Enlightened
hi guys, i can't think of a ton of things to share here but i thought you would like this one.

i took a keymate a few months ago and modded it a bit.

first, i removed the clip. the easiest way to do this is take a large jaw comercial wire cutter(not tin snips) and put it around the plastic tail cap. chomp down and the plastic cap and clip will break off. i suggest you carefully wrap the back end of the tube with several layers of vinyl tape before you do this as to not scratch it. wrap up past the plastic part because the cutter will move down when you grip. if you do scratch it, a sharpie black marker can touch it up great! now you will have just the little shiny key loop left. two step epoxy it into the hole in the tube. remove the batteries first and the little rivet should fall out. throw it away. now the light will have a shiny silver back ring and a silver key loop with no clip. i think that is cool. plus it is really tiny now.

next, take a tweezers and insert it into the tube. pull out the spring! with the spring out cut the top 1 1/2 loops out of the spring. bend it back into the shape it was so it still makes contact. now put a dab of 2 step epoxy(just a dab) on the back end of the spring. hold it by the tweezers and reinsert it into the tube. it is a little tricky to get it in straight. it does not have to be exactly straight.

now go get a duracell 21/23(you knew this part was coming).
carefully open its casing with a #1 flat head screwdriver. remove all the 'baby' cells. throw one in your junk drawer.
take the remaining 'baby' cells and wrap them 6 times tightly with vinyl tape. observe the correct polarity!

insert them positive up into the tube. put silicone grease on the threads and close it. if it does not light, put your tweezers into the tube and gently stretch the spring. do not try to use all the cells out of the 21/23 they will not fit! it is now running at 10.5 volts! the internal resistance of these cells should keep it from cooking. the way the lamp is installed in this light actually uses the bezel as a heatsink so this works out great.
you wont beleive the output! don't look at the beam! it is a super tight beam, but way brighter than my e1e!
mine has lasted over 3 hours so far with no noticible drop off. it does not draw much current at this voltage so even though these cells have a low mah they should last a long while. i'd be more worried the led will die before the batteries because it does get hot. but i have had it on for 10 minutes and it did not warp the lens. anyways the light costs less than a lot of batteries we buy so it doesnt matter to me.

one thing i must say! all of this is done at your own risk! if you kill your little light dont blame me. it worked for me and if you are somewhat skilled it SHOULD work for you. please do not get mad at me if it does not work. i am just suggesting this, not forcing anyone to do it!

rob.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob,

This sounds like an awesome little mod. I think I'm going to try this. Thanks -- Tim

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nitebrite said:
now go get a duracell 21/23

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob, I'm not familiar with this battery, and I can't seem to locate it. Can you give me some more info on it. Thanks. --Tim

paulr

Flashaholic
21/23 is one of those tiny 12 volt cigarette lighter batteries. It's been used in simple LED mods of the Mag Solitaire. Its capacity is very low, and while the mod suggested here is interesting, I don't believe for one second that it ran for 3 hours with no brightness falloff. Better check it with a photometer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums Rob! Just the other day I was thinking about taking the ugly plastic clip retainer and clip off of my NanoMate, (modified Keymate). Thanks for the tips!

nitebrite

Enlightened
just be carefull taking the clip off it is easy to break something you don't want to also. or scratch it. wrap it with tape like i suggested. it may not have actually run three hours with no drop. i may have exagerated. i didnt actually time it and it was on and off many times not continous. it may also have dropped off and i just didnt really notice since i was so impressed with its output. also the light will not draw as much current at 10.5 amps as it does stock. still, those are small mah batteries. but they are cheap! the only downside is the time to take them apart. i bet it is safe to say though that after three hours it was at least still at stock brightness. so other than blowing the led(hasn't happened yet) it seems like a nice mod to me.

anyways, walmart has two packs of these by the registers in most stores. 2 for less than 2 bucks! it is still cheaper than the stock batteries especialy if you use 5.

i wish i had a digital camera i would take a picture for you folks. unfortunatly every time i save 200 bucks for a camera i find a cool flashlight or soemthing else. i collect lots of stuff.

well, if you get the tail off without breaking anything it looks real cool with the silver bottom and a little groove around the inside where the key loop will now sit. one thing i forgot to mention. don't over do it with the epoxy on the bottom! it will run into the tube and dry and then you wont fit any batteries in there! i have not ruined one yet doing this. i just thought about it real good and prepared the work area like i always do. as i mentioned before, if you do scratch it a little a black sharpie ran along the groves of the body touchs it up great and is rather permanent. if you dent the key loop you can buff it out with a extra fine emry board.

rob.

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Rob,

I did two variations of your mod. Both seem to work quite well. First was to just add a 5th battery. NO spring modifications at all. At first it wouldn't tighten down enough to turn on, but a quick twist with gorilla grip dented the top of the first battery slightly and the light is on. The plastic LED holder seems to be OK, it apears to be some pretty tough stuff! It's about ~20% brighter with 5 batteries in a side by side comparison with a standard 4 battery configuration. (Got 3 at once to save time for when my son wants one too!)

The second mod was to get the A23 battery. The unopened battery is a touch too tall to fit, even with gorilla grip active. The 5/6 buttons fit and worked without the spring mod. And the full stack of bare buttons wrapped in tape also fit and works. There is no "dent" on the top battery at all. I have to question why you go to the trouble of modifying the spring, when it seems to fit without mod?

It is a lot brighter than the factor version! About the same as the LED mode on a Streamlight TT-2L. The only drawback to the A23 batteries is the heat they generate in operation. Yes, the batteries not the LED. I'll see if the heat drops as the batteries die down some.

Anyway, thanks for turning me on to this quick and easy mod!

John B.