Do you have a solar panel?

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
If you have a solar panel setup, post it here.
I have a Goal Zero Nomad 20 connected to an inverter, powering up my battery charger. :twothumbs
I also have a shell solar 10 watt solar panel. Don't know what i will use it for.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My setup is towards the end of the thread to which Norm linked.

I haven't seen many/any other recent builds.

Last edited:

Spork

Enlightened
The guys on this forum were awesome for advise on building mine. I don't have a current pic but its just a sunforce controller and small battery all dumped into a ammo can. I have a maha 12v charger for mine along with some usb adapters to charge other devices. Inverters waste power on a simple solar setup. It could be handy during a extended power outage for keeping batteries charged and for some limited 2 way radio use.

I also like anderson power poles on everything. These things are awesome for this sort of thing and 12v gear in general.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I have several panels ranging from 3 watts to 100 watts. I have several controllers too. Too much gear to remember and list. My main set up is two 100's panels that run into a bank of (8) deep cycle batteries. I use this to charge flashlight batteries, run my p/c, and all my ham radio gear.
I love my solar rigs. I even have a nice portable rig. I use a cottonpicker set up to charge a small SLA battery that goes in a .50 cal ammo can that has various charging cables and power adapters. It makes a nice throw in the car or camper rig. Its like the ultimate back up battery for your cell phone/laptop/ipad.

btw, I use all Anderson power poles too. If you read mine and Sporks post and don't know about them, research them! They are nice.

MrJino

Enlightened
I just started in the solar thing myself.

So far, I have a 15 watt folding solar panel from ravpower, it has 2 usb connectors, that automatically regulate for maximum charge.
Usually I leave it on my dash of my car when I'm not driving, hooked up to a 15000 mah power bank, also ravpower.
I dunno why, i find it a joy to power all my usb toys with free solar energy! Minus the cost of the panels lol

My mom gas a giant solar thing on her property, the electric company actually sends her a check in the mail.
I'd say you could park 2 or 3 cars under it though.

cpf360

Newly Enlightened
I've got about 15 yard light solar panels, I'm planning on making an array out of them.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple setups

Harbor Freight 5 watt, Morningstar "SunLight" controller, old 50ah 12 volt Gel Cell, and three Malibu path lights with LED bulbs in place of the halogen bulbs.

Shell ST-5 CIS, currently not used

Carrizo gold series (Arco ?) 30 watt probably once used on the original Carrizo plains solar project , Xantrex/Trace C-40 controller, 80ah AGM battery, two 12 volt light fixtures, car stereo, cigarette lighter sockets for cell phone and/or a Targus Auto/Air laptop adapter.

Kyocera KC120 120 watt, currently not used

(On a shipping container used for storage behind Uncle's shop) Another Kyocera KC120, circuit board from Sunforce ? controller, Optima Blue top, sometimes an old car alarm, Coleman Powermate inverter, and a fluorescent fixture to light the interior.

^Though about putting solar on Uncle's travel trailer but he recently had the rubber roof replaced and didn't want to drill holes in it just yet.

shiftline

Newly Enlightened
I sure do. I have 4x100w panels that change two big deep cycles in parallel which run all of my outdoor landscape lights

bestellen

Newly Enlightened
Our 2kW system is averaging 8.9 kWh per day over the last 4 years. (Orientation N-E isn't ideal.)
We use 50% ourselves and export the other half at WA's FIT.
So far, the savings have recouped 65% of the initial installation and service costs.
(Note that 4-5 years ago, SPV systems were considerably dearer than nowadays.)

Last edited: