Review: Nitecore P36, MT-G2, 2000 lumens, 2x18650/4xCR123A: beamshots, comparison

kj75

Enlightened
Review: Nitecore P36, MT-G2, 2 x 18650/4 x CR123A: beamshots, comparison

I'm happy if manufacturers release lights with (not only for me) a MT-G2 led. This led has a lovely tint, a lot of output and gives a nice beam. Nitecore has recently added the P36: For those who are looking for a complete light with stunning output, this can be your choice. I've never had a light that has so much (special) modes…We'll have a look at this one, and compare it to a competitor.

the Nitecore P36
osbamd.jpg

2ljjn9f.jpg

powered by MT-G2 led
295pcnc.jpg

The specifications, given by Nitecore:

• LED: Cree MT-G2
  • Maximum 2000 lumens
  • Ten selectable brightness plus strobe and SoS brings flexibility in operation
    • 2000 lumens (45 min )
    • 1500 lumens (1 hr )
    • 380 lumens ( 7.4 hr )
    • 2 lumens ( 325 hr )
  • Beam distance: 300 meters
  • Beam intensity: 22,300 cd
  • Battery supported: 4x CR123A or 2x 18650
  • Dimensions:
  • Length: 173mm
  • Head diameter: 50mm
  • Tail: 28mm x 42mm
  • Weight: 252g (without battery)
  • Waterproof: IPX-8 (2m submersible)
  • Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
Features

• A multi-functional rotary switch offers unprecedented ease of use
  • 10 brightness levels and 5 special modes for various applications
  • Advanced temperature regulation (ATR) technology ensures stability and longevity
  • High efficiency constant current circuitry provides unwavering and dependable output
  • Intelligent memory function for easy mode setting
  • Features 2 x battery power indicators on the tail
  • Direct access to turbo/ultra-low
  • Utilizes a micro-textured metal reflector for peripheral illumination
  • Stainless steel bezel ring protects core components from damage
  • Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
  • Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum alloy
  • HAIII military grade hard-anodized
  • Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8
  • Impact resistant to 1.5 meters
  • Tail stand capability

Operation:

• Press tactical forward button to turn the light on and off.
  • Turn the rotary switch to adjust brightness level setting. Brightness level is memorized even when the light is turned off.
  • Press and hold rotary switch for direct strobe access.

Package:

The P36 comes in a colorful carton box, like most Nitecores (except the Monster-series) Also, no surprises here. Scroll down to see what's in the box…

colorful Nitecore box
4jswnk.jpg

this looks promising..
2w6gnqe.jpg

contents the light, user manual, warranty card, spare o-ring and button and holster
29vzdle.jpg

Impressions:

First thing I noticed after unboxing the P36: I've seen this kind of light earlier…This shape can be found by other brands too. Just have a look at the Fenix TK35. The light is well anodized, has a clean reflector with a perfect centered led, the engraving is well done. Fits well in your hand, but is little bigger than I expected. It has stable tail stand, but it would be good to have double lanyard holes: like the TM06 has. The tailcap is made of plastic: I hope it withstands some accidentally drop-downs: I can't tell you about my experiences, I always take care of my lights J The threads are well lubed and do their job without scratching. In the light there's a battery magazine: you can insert it in two ways. Overall, this light looks well machined and finished.

a "precise-series" member
s1nwio.jpg

unique: modes controlled by a tail-ring
2md1i0j.jpg

2edd2jn.jpg

some "winter" pictures
2nkoswm.jpg

2dbmm85.jpg

96kd4l.jpg

good to handle with
nyxn9d.jpg

powered by 2 x 18650 or 4 x CR123A
2yorbcg.jpg

it doesn't matter how you insert the battery holder
2ziv72c.jpg

but the 18650's need to be placed correct
:)
2m51444.jpg

these leds will inform you about the voltage
1z1fhgk.jpg

some closer looks: inside the tube..
35cndb6.jpg

the added lanyard..
1sxzev.jpg

the rotary switch
30955qg.jpg

and the lovely MT-G2 led
29lczev.jpg

hidden in the holster
f8gg8.jpg

Modes:

About the modes: The P36 has them almost all! Besides 10! brightness levels, also 5 special modes: Slow flash, quick flash, beacon, strobe and SOS. You've also direct access to 3 modes: Instant turbo, instant low and instant strobe. Great job of Nitecore here, no further wishes!

User interface:

This light can be controlled by one hand: the tail-clicky and rotary-switch are placed side by side. Use the clicky for on/off or momentary and the rotary to cycle through the modes. The advantage of this rotary switch is that you can cycle up and down through the modes. If it takes to long to enter turbo or low, you can have it instant: quick rotate for direct turbo or ultra-low. From off you can do this too: First a quick rotate before switching on. When on, press the rotary switch to enter the special modes: simply rotate to choose the desired one. Press and hold the rotary (from off or on) for instant strobe. Into practice, it works fine. Only thing I noticed, that you now and then have to rotate the switch two clicks for the next mode. Personally, I don't mind. For me, this interface was unknown, but I like it: All modes can be controlled by one hand without troubles.

Tint:

The P36 has, as expected because of the MT-G2 led, a nice neutral tint. Compared to the Olight SR Mini that has XM-L2, you can see clearly what I mean. Take a look at the picture below…

the warm MT-G2 and the cool XM-L2
24wsq2o.jpg

Size comparison:

The P36 is little bigger than its competitor, the Fenix TK35UE, and has a larger reflector. The pictures show differences, but the concept is almost equal. Compared to its brother, the TM06, shows how compact this Tiny Monster is!

slight differences
m96l4p.jpg

between these competitors
nygs4h.jpg

P36 has a larger reflector
24fdvkj.jpg

19nzep.jpg

Nitecore P36, Fenix TK35UE and Nitecore TM06.
2073xps.jpg

the heads
4g5do5.jpg

and the tails
29fw8j6.jpg

The beam:

The P36 gives a nice "big" beam. Because of the deeper reflector it has a nice mix of flood and also throw, most useful until max. 50-75 meters. Therefore this light is a real "all-rounder": I can recommend you this one if you can only carry one light :)

Beamshots:

At first, projected on a white wall. NOTE: I've skipped some modes because it takes much space: For all modes scroll down to the animation picture.

camera settings: 35 mm, ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec.
11j0hoh.jpg

1zzqh5z.jpg

2dj485x.jpg

vf4vk.jpg

animation of all brightness levels
2dlkemf.jpg

And now, the outdoor pictures of 5 output modes. For all modes, please scroll down to the animation picture. As you can see, there's more difference in low modes than in the higher. After that, also a comparison to the Fenix TK35UE and the TM06.

camera settings: 35 mm, ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4 sec.
n65n2t.jpg

2s7uou0.jpg

2rc31xe.jpg

34fd1g3.jpg

2cxhov9.jpg

animation of all brightness levels
1se26w.jpg

Beamshot at location 1, compared to Fenix TK35UE and Nitecore TM06. As earlier in my TM06 review, you can see how floody this light is. All lights on turbo mode.

15wgb3d.jpg

73nnsn.jpg

2ug2jxw.jpg

Again those lights in a direct shout-out at location 2. Those pictures better show the throw of the lights.

against Fenix TK35UE, both lights on turbo mode
fwpyk5.jpg

against Nitecore TM06, both lights on turbo mode
4j18qq.jpg

Conclusion:

I love the P36! Although it is little bigger, it's easy to handle, not that heavy, offers a bunch of (special) modes and has a nice tint. That makes this light an almost perfect all-rounder that you can carry in your coat pocket. I can't tell you about the durability of the tailcap and the rotary switch, but until now, it works without problems. It would be great if Nitecore launches a (compact) Tiny Monster MT-G2 version of this light. We all look forward to it!

* Thanks to Nitecore for providing me this sample! *

Last edited:

YAK-28

Enlightened
thank you for the review. i have been thinking about this light and wondering how the rotary switch works.

kj75

Enlightened
thank you for the review. i have been thinking about this light and wondering how the rotary switch works.

Rotate left/right for brightness level. Quick turn to enter turbo or ultra low. Press for special modes or (hold) instant strobe. I've explained this in the review :)

YAK-28

Enlightened
thanks again for your review. after reading it, i called a local dealer and confirmed they had them in stock and took advantage of my day off work to pick one up. i love the rotary switch, so much easier to pick you level. the switch seems like it should hold up to normal use. i'll have to wait to tonight to take it out for a test.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for this review! I have been interested in this light since it was announced not too long ago, and I have been searching for illustrative reviews on it.

Outdoor comparative beamshots are what is needed when new lights are announced, and your shots are much more informative than many words.

I may just have to grab one of these, to see for myself how it compares with the SX25L3 MT-G2, carry-wise and power-wise. My guess is sweeter to carry than its Eagletac counterpart, with the trade-off of less power, but how much less remains to be seen.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

YAK-28

Enlightened
how did the nitcore batteries fit/remove from the carrier? i have found my panasonic's had to be removed with a screwdriver. the springs kept catching on the edge of the plastic sleeve. i need to find a little shorter battery.

kj75

Enlightened
how did the nitcore batteries fit/remove from the carrier? i have found my panasonic's had to be removed with a screwdriver. the springs kept catching on the edge of the plastic sleeve. i need to find a little shorter battery.

Original Nitecores are easy to remove and they fit well. No screwdriver needed ;)

markr6

Flashaholic
Rotary switch...hell yes! A while back I posted something about manufacturers making something similar to the switch on a Dermel for quick, instant access to any mode. This sounds just as good, or better.

While the TK35UE does not have a real low mode (not even close at 25lm), I like their mode spacing and runtimes much better.