Enercell, Bushnell and UST

ericjohn

Enlightened
I have my eyes set on several different flashlights at the moment and I am wondering if anyone on here (CPF) has any experience with them.

First of all I have the Enercell LED Flashlight Combo Pack en-route to me. I also plan to buy another pack as gifts for family members. How are these? The 2D and 2AA models give off 20 Lumens while the 1AA gives off 10 Lumens.

The next light I have in mind is a Bushnell Pro 100L. I have been overall pleased with my other Bushnell lights, except for their short runtimes. This new one boasts 100 Lumens for a little over three hours. Almost as good as my AAA LED Mini Maglite.

Finally, I am interested in the UST Moon Force 2AA and 2AAA models. Gives off 80 Lumens on High. How many on Low? I haven't decided if I want the Glow model or the regular model.

The Enercells seem to be a decent choice for glove compartments or electrical work (despite their hard to spot black color. How impact resistant or they? They also seem to resemble the same body as the "modern" Rayovac Industrial Incandescent, but they are LEDs.

The Bushnell seems to me like a decent backup LED that is tactically correct.

The UST flashlights seem to me as if they would be an all around flashlight.

Has anyone else tried any of these?

Thanking everyone in advance for their input...

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably won't get a lot of input from this bunch on these lights. If you haven't figured it out yet, we're a bunch of prima donnas we like to walk on the leading edge, if not bleeding edge, of flashlights. You would probably have better luck going to Amazon and checking out the user reviews on the various lights there. I tend to ignore the five stars, as most of those reviews seem to be of the 'hey it works it must be great' school. A lot of the one stars are people who didn't know what they were doing or had unreasonable expectations, so I don't pay a lot of attention to those as well. I find that the two and three star reviews are the best place to find out if there are any major problems, and then compare the total number of four & five star reviews with the total number of all the rest. If they are anywhere close to being equal, then that product is not for me.

You can also find a lot of higher quality lights for not much more money if you look in the right places. Battery Junction has a deal going on for two TerraLUX Lightstar80 AAA penlights for $25. TerraLUX has a good reputation, and the four I have have been doing great. The Streamlight Microstream is a good everyday carry light for under $20. Nitecore has the MT06 two AAA penlight with 150/32 lumens for around $30. Nightcore also has the Tube, a $10 keychain light that will do five lumens for several hours, and 45 lumens for about 45 minutes, and is USB rechargeable. Except for the Tube, these are all all-metal, built to take the knocks type lights that will give years of service.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ericjohn,
Sad to say I agree with my colleague above(although I don't remember becoming a PrimmaDonna)... I just don't have any experience with the lights at the entry level. One word of advice-regarding batteries rather than lights, using Nickle Metal Hydride(NIMH, Energizer rechargeable, Sanyo Eneloops), or Primary Lithiums(NON-Rechargeables) like the Energizer LL91(AA, 10 year shelf life), will last longer and avoid the risk of leakage associated with Alkaline batteries.

There is another forum, Budget Light Forum, that may be of assistance that could help you. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

ericjohn

Enlightened
You probably won't get a lot of input from this bunch on these lights. If you haven't figured it out yet, we're a bunch of prima donnas we like to walk on the leading edge, if not bleeding edge, of flashlights. You would probably have better luck going to Amazon and checking out the user reviews on the various lights there. I tend to ignore the five stars, as most of those reviews seem to be of the 'hey it works it must be great' school. A lot of the one stars are people who didn't know what they were doing or had unreasonable expectations, so I don't pay a lot of attention to those as well. I find that the two and three star reviews are the best place to find out if there are any major problems, and then compare the total number of four & five star reviews with the total number of all the rest. If they are anywhere close to being equal, then that product is not for me.

You can also find a lot of higher quality lights for not much more money if you look in the right places. Battery Junction has a deal going on for two TerraLUX Lightstar80 AAA penlights for $25. TerraLUX has a good reputation, and the four I have have been doing great. The Streamlight Microstream is a good everyday carry light for under $20. Nitecore has the MT06 two AAA penlight with 150/32 lumens for around $30. Nightcore also has the Tube, a $10 keychain light that will do five lumens for several hours, and 45 lumens for about 45 minutes, and is USB rechargeable. Except for the Tube, these are all all-metal, built to take the knocks type lights that will give years of service.

The Fenixes, 4Sevens, etc don't appeal to me. I simply don't care for them. Streamlight does appeal to me sometimes and I am looking to get a few of them in the not so distant future. SureFire does as well, but the initial cost and upkeep of say a 6P is out of my price range at the moment, the A2 really calls out to me, but that is even father out of my price range. I really wish there could be an A2 that would run on AAs or C's.

I have seen others on here (CPF) give reviews of lower end lights, that is why I posted this in the Budget Lights section (but it was moved.)

ericjohn

Enlightened
Hi Ericjohn,
Sad to say I agree with my colleague above(although I don't remember becoming a PrimmaDonna)... I just don't have any experience with the lights at the entry level. One word of advice-regarding batteries rather than lights, using Nickle Metal Hydride(NIMH, Energizer rechargeable, Sanyo Eneloops), or Primary Lithiums(NON-Rechargeables) like the Energizer LL91(AA, 10 year shelf life), will last longer and avoid the risk of leakage associated with Alkaline batteries.

There is another forum, Budget Light Forum, that may be of assistance that could help you. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

I haven't really had leak issues with Alkalines and even if I did, I buy the name brands, so in the event of a leak Energizer/Duracell will repair or replace what their product damaged. I check my batteries several times a week anyway.

I also buy the Industrial Alkalines in bulk every few months at my local Motion Industries branch. Maglite says not to use rechargeable, so I don't.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I bought the Bushnell Pro 100L Wal-Mart for ~$20 (can't find it online to save my life.)

I also have the Enercells on ebay for ~$6.

I am extremely pleased with the Bushnell and the Enercells are halfway decent.

Now, all I have left is one of the UST MoonForce flashlights...

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
After you've had them for a bit, I'd be interested to hear what you think about them, ericjohn.

ericjohn

Enlightened
After you've had them for a bit, I'd be interested to hear what you think about them, ericjohn.

I sure will. I like my other Bushnells, but the runtime for them is too short. They are good, however, if someone is being attacked. You could scare the attacker away by pressing the power button repeatedly. This will make it cycle through white, red and blue (police colors.)

I am enjoying my Enercells for the most part and I must say that they are pretty bright for their size.

In the [hopefully] near future, I plan to get one of the 2AA or 2AAA UST MoonForce lights.

Again I ask, has anyone used one of these?

This thread was originally posted in the Budget Lights section, but for some reason or another it was moved to Reccomend Me a Light For.

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a UST AAA light. It has a 5mm LED and a glowing rubber sleeve.

Seems like a solid light. I bought mine on sale for under 5$. At that price I couldn't resist, just to try.

The threads are smooth and the head is fluted so you can grip on it.

I think it's worth 5$.