XP help: Office XP on the blink

guncollector

Enlightened
Okay, about 20 min. ago, my computer's MS Excel & Word programs started going on the blink. I'm running Windows XP on a Dell 8200 1.8GHz with 512MB RAM.

After multiple reboots, neither program is loading properly, either loading very slowly or not at all (getting "Not Responding" messages).

Do I now try uninstalling and then reinstalling the programs? I have the original disks.

I can't think of what may be causing this except some type of corrupt file that launches the Office XP programs.

Any/all help greatly appreciated!

was_jlh

Enlightened
May not help, but when I'm around a pc where Word is barfing, the first thing to do is rename the NORMAL.DOT file to NORMAL.OLD ( or whatever you wish ), then restart Word.

Look around ( here, google, pc software support forums ) before reinstalling.

Neko2

Newly Enlightened
Persoanlly if all you're reinstalling is office, I'd say go for it. It's painless enough and usually fixes most of the gremlin like problems.

N2

was_jlh

Enlightened
Guncollector, did this mysteriously fix itself? Just curious, symptomatic of the NAV / Verisign problem, right timeframe.

Joe

guncollector

Enlightened
Actually, it turned out to be a problem with the Norton Internet Security 2003's Office XP plug-in!

I finally deactivated it (the plug-in), and the Office programs whirred back to life.

Despite calls to Norton's fee-based tech support, they were unable to trouble-shoot the problem with the plug-in. What a surprise.

HTH!

was_jlh

Enlightened
Glad it worked out, you're not alone with your feelings on Norton, a lot of people not happy with Symantec lately.