Landscape transformer tripping gfci every 2 days

werdna

Newly Enlightened
I have a kichler landscape 12V transformer with a timer function which is connected to a GFCI circuit. Recently, I have to always reset the GFCI every 2 days. Whenever I reset the GFCI, the timer will be at the 'turned off' position/time. I found out another weird thing - if I turn the timer 2 rounds, the GFCI automatically trips again.

Anyone able to troubleshoot the problem? I'm not sure if the GFCI needs to be replaced or there's something wrong with the transformer?

ChrisJ

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a transformer issue unless the transformer doesn't have secondary breakers. Kichler transformers have a pretty solid warranty so I would turn it in for replacement and go from there. As a side note, GFCI outlets are super sensitive so it could possibly be moisture intrusion but I doubt it based on your explanation. Turn it in under warranty and let me know if that doesn't solve the problem.

SemiMan

Banned
I have a kichler landscape 12V transformer with a timer function which is connected to a GFCI circuit. Recently, I have to always reset the GFCI every 2 days. Whenever I reset the GFCI, the timer will be at the 'turned off' position/time. I found out another weird thing - if I turn the timer 2 rounds, the GFCI automatically trips again.

Anyone able to troubleshoot the problem? I'm not sure if the GFCI needs to be replaced or there's something wrong with the transformer?

Unless the insulation has failed, the output of the transformer will not cause a GFI fault. I would be carefully looking at all the wiring leading up to the transformer and making sure there are not issues.

mds82

Enlightened
i have seen instances where the GFI outlet starts to go bad and will trip for no reason. i know GFI's are expensive, but you may want to pick up another one and test it out. If it does the same thing in a new outlet then just return the one you just purchased.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
What else is on that line? Where I live, most builders install a 10amp GFI. I find as they age, the will trip easily under 10amps. I had to upgrade my outdoor ones to 20amps. Solved my Christmas & Halloween GFI tripping light issues.

James1095

Newly Enlightened
GFCIs aren't expensive anymore, I think the last one I installed was around $10. I suppose it could be the inductive spike created when the timer contacts open but that's really weird it happens every other time.

GFCIs don't trip based on the amps drawn through them, they measure the amps passing through hot and through neutral separately and trip if the difference is greater than 5mA indicating leakage to ground.

Qship1996

Enlightened
What else is on that line? Where I live, most builders install a 10amp GFI. I find as they age, the will trip easily under 10amps. I had to upgrade my outdoor ones to 20amps. Solved my Christmas & Halloween GFI tripping light issues.

10 amp? not sure they make anything below the standard 15 amp model.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had gfi breakers/outlets trip for many reasons. One big one is with large induction devices (I.e. motors, ballasts, TRANSFORMERS, etc). Your gfi may be a little worn/sensitive and smaller induction loads are enough to trip it.
Inductive loads can cause a large enough surge thru the N line to trigger them.

werdna

Newly Enlightened
The transformer is connected to probably 10 landscape lights. Previously it had no issues with gfci tripping. I'm going to switch out the GFCI over the weekend and see it that solved the problem. Oh recently, I switched out the halogen bulbs to LED bulbs, I'm no sure if that would affect anything though? It works for 2 days and trips when the timer turns off the lights.

ChrisJ

Newly Enlightened
Just yesterday, ironically enough, we changed out a 600w Kichler transformer because something was tripping the breaker in the panel. We installed this lighting system 10 years ago, but he only started having this issue within the last 6 months. Every time the irrigation came on, the breaker in the panel would trip. I have beat my head against the wall about this because I couldn't find the problem. Initially, I insisted that moisture was getting into an outlet, maybe not the one the transformer was plugged into, but certainly another one on the same circuit. This is the only logical assumption that made sense. We even brought an electrician into the equation to assist us, but he couldn't find anything either. After all else failed, I exchanged the transformer under warranty. After the change out, we ran the irrigation through all zones multiple times and no trip. Later in the day, it rained.... and rained..... and rained. Still, no trip.
I still have no clue as to why the new transformer fixed the problem, but the fact is that it did. Problem solved.... finally.
Take my advise. Turn in the transformer for a new one. What's the worst thing that can happen? Maybe it won't turn out to be the issue but I'm betting that you will thank me. My 2 cents

werdna

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so i replaced the GFCI and looks like it has not tripped for 2 days. I guess the GFCI is the culprit.

Thanks

James1095

Newly Enlightened
They do seem to get a bit twitchy as they age, I suppose that's better than getting less sensitive and not doing their job. I don't think I've ever taken one apart but I suspect they contain a few electrolytic capacitors that fail. That's one of the few electronic components that really wears out with age/use.

SemiMan

Banned
They do seem to get a bit twitchy as they age, I suppose that's better than getting less sensitive and not doing their job. I don't think I've ever taken one apart but I suspect they contain a few electrolytic capacitors that fail. That's one of the few electronic components that really wears out with age/use.

And LEDs, opto-couplers by extension, transformer insulation, etc.