Just making sure, lithium safety.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so, I've been working with, using, and charging single cell 18650s, 14500s etc. for a while now since most of my cells are eCycled from comp batt packs. Recently I picked up some imr 26650s for my latest project since it needed +6A.
I'm looking into a new upgrade on an old lantern and I'd like to have 4 26650s in it, all parallel. (Insane runtime).
I only have a duel cell semi cheap charger (uses a phone micro usb input). I'm fairly certain it's not a balancing charger.
Is there a way to balance 4 cells w/o a complex/expensive charger-balancer?
Is it as simple as charging them as close as possible and then using a resistor to bleed the cells into each other in a parallel arrangement?
After they've been balanced, is it safe to store them in the light (0ma parasitic drain setup)?
These are unprotected cells so I'm monitoring them the whole charge time.
I'd just like to build a safe but long lasting (storage and usage wise) lantern for emergencies.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking into a new upgrade on an old lantern and I'd like to have 4 26650s in it, all parallel. (Insane runtime).
I only have a duel cell semi cheap charger (uses a phone micro usb input). I'm fairly certain it's not a balancing charger.
Is there a way to balance 4 cells w/o a complex/expensive charger-balancer?
Is it as simple as charging them as close as possible and then using a resistor to bleed the cells into each other in a parallel arrangement?
After they've been balanced, is it safe to store them in the light (0ma parasitic drain setup)?

Very few chargers actually balance cells (if you mean ensure each cell has exactly the same capacity). But it doesn't have to be perfect...and parallel setups are very forgiving anyway. Cells connected in parallel will automatically balance...

I would recommend you pick up a decent charger if your current one doesn't terminate properly at 4.2 volts (approximately).

Yes, it is safe to store the cells in a light.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The big kicker will be finding a good charger that will handle four 26650s at the same time, or at least two at once. Many chargers that say they will charge a 26650 will only be able to hold one at a time due to the cell's size.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I have a charger that fits them 2x. It's not the greatest but since I monitor them while charging, I'm not to worried. I manually kill it at 4.2v and check it again after 15 mins rest. These seem to be pretty stable holding within .01v after removal. The charger only charges @ .7A for 2 and less then .5A with one.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had the charger for my shaver go pop and then smoke started coming out of it, It` a cheap dynamo rotary shaver, but it comes with an usb charger, I had just plugged it in, and within a minute it went pop and i thew it in the empty sink, just shows not to leave devices charging without being monitored.

John.

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
whos the babe in your avatar tinderbox? every time i see that i think im on the wrong forum section ;-)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is Kate Beckinsale from the Underworld Vampire Movies when she was just starting out, in acting.

John.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_Beckinsale

EDIT: Have you ever see the young Elizabeth Hurley in the movie passenger 57, absolutely beautiful.

whos the babe in your avatar tinderbox? every time i see that i think im on the wrong forum section ;-)

Last edited:

buddyrohr

Removed by his own request
I was not offering to set you up or anything :)John.
well then i withdraw my thanks ;-)

some friend you turned out to be btw

buddy

hah i just thought of a humorous incident on another forum i am a member of there was a guy who had a pretty good sized avatar of a smokin hot chick with a miniskirt. after seeing that for a couple of years i finally asked him who is that babe in your avatar next thing you know the avatar is replaced not with a clown face like here but with something totally unrelated. turns out it was his girlfriend. i think its hilarious the guy would post his girlfriends pic for his avatar regardless of the hotness factor and then get embarassed when somebody asks about it i mean nobody was looking through the guys curtains it was right out there for everybody to oogle.

Last edited: