Did Surefire ever

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did Surefire ever make a clicky tailcap for the G2 or 6P? I have one of each, and would like to get clicky tail caps for them, but want to stay stock Surefire if I can.

If they didn't, where is the best place to buy a McClickie? Either already installed in the appropriate tail cap or just the insert for me to install.

Thanks for your help!

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire will give me a replacement tactical tail cap for either one FREE! How can they charge $40 for a clickie? That is more than I paid for the G2, and about what I paid for the 6P. I guess I'll just get a McClickie kit and do it myself. Where is the best place to buy one?

Celt

Newly Enlightened
They go for scalper prices, when you can find them, but the surefire z48 and z49 tailcaps are pieces of over-engineered awesomeness

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I got a second tailcap for both the G2 and the 6P from Surefire, and two McClicky switches from Illumination Supply. Since I don't have a large nail or a punch, can I cut away the existing boot, and use my Dremel to drill out the rivet? The switches came with new boots, so I will still have one to use if I cut up the original. Any reason why this shouldn't work?

scout24

Flashaholic
Small finishing nail works fine. Or a screwdriver from one of the small precision micro sets of 8 or 10. I have once or twice been able to pull the boot out, but it's work. Yes you can cut it... Good luck!

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Small finishing nail works fine. Or a screwdriver from one of the small precision micro sets of 8 or 10. I have once or twice been able to pull the boot out, but it's work. Yes you can cut it... Good luck!

Pulling off the boot is pretty easy once you get the technique down. You wont have to use a punch anymore. If you can grab the edge of the boot with your forefinger and thumb and have a pretty strong grip its just a matter of working out the flared end out of TC. A bit of tugging and pulling will remove even the most stubborn rubber boot. I used to use the 1/6" punch myself when getting ready to install one of Don's wonderful creations but now its off in about 30 seconds to tugging working around the circumference. The main problem of doing a McClicky swap in a Nitrolon TC is getting that darn plastic retainer off without applying surface damaging heat especially if you have never done one before. Do not use a flame device. You will make the exterior crispy in short order.

BTW a word of advice to the OP about your G2 tailcap. If you have the newer G2 tailcap it will not be long enough (OAL) to fit a McClicky and the brass adapter. All the ones I have owned/ seen are the shorter versions and not adaptable to a switch. The older G3 TC's came in the longer OAL and work the best. Just my observations.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have one of the original G2 non-lockout tail caps. It definitely is too short to use with a McClicky! The new tail cap I got from Surefire and the one on my G2 are noticeably longer, and look like they should work just fine.