The 'rock and roll' Ever Ready range

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Well I call them that! From the late 1950's, and finished in big bright chrome and bright red fronts they demand to be seen!

20231209_215355.jpg

But there's more too them than meets the eye. I think they are some of the absolute best incandescent lights available to normal users - and way better than the plastic tat that came in the late 60's onwards. So let's have a look what you get...

20231209_215750.jpg

Choice of 2.5 or 3.5 inch reflectors, drawn brass body, thick chromium plate, high quality metal reflectors and glass lenses. You get a proper lockout, momentary switch and a choice of battery lengths from 2D to 5D. For road walking the red front glows to the side making you visible to vehicles.

20231209_215631.jpg

Looking at the lights now in 2023 I am still impressed. Very impressed actually. From the mechanism of the switch to the general feel of them is spot on. No flickering. The reflectors are as per the box - quality. The larger head gives a tight spot and the smaller head a fatter SureFire E2 look. Stock is a 2.4V, 0.5A bulb, which while it gives a quality beam its just too weak nowadays. But the 2D size takes a 8AA pack perfectly and with an Edison 9V 0.75A Krypton bulb I love it hits all the right spots for me. Useful spill, strong wide beam and almost no rings.

20231209_215538.jpg

I use while on winter hikes along the canal.

20231209_190546.jpg

The best part is these are never expensive nowadays. And yet they are a genuine useful and handsome - and eye catching light. Keep a look out. They are well worth your money if you, like me, still value a good incandescent torch that isn't some highly strung special that requires nannying with lithium batteries etc.

Hope you enjoyed!

20231209_215735.jpg

20231209_185243.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That one is pretty rare. They were bought out by Bond in the 30's, then Winchester bought Olin/Bond. So by the 40's most were either Olin/Bond or Winchester/Olin/Bond. It was like new when I bought it.

Is Eveready still Ever Ready on your side of the pond @Lowglow? Over here they dropped the 2nd R in the 1920's if I recall correct.

In the 60's and 70's the Eveready Commader had a red plastic bezel, not just the ring like their "Big Jim" line had. They were known as movie usher lights because that was standard issue for them. They were cheap and flimsy but millions sold. They can be found new in box on eBay over here on the Yank side of the pond.

Last edited:

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
That one is pretty rare. They were bought out by Bond in the 30's, then Winchester bought Olin/Bond. So by the 40's most were either Olin/Bond or Winchester/Olin/Bond. It was like new when I bought it.

Is Eveready still Ever Ready on your side of the pond lowglow? Over here they dropped the 2nd R in the 1920's if I recall correct.
Lovely to have good condition without corrosion or crust isn't it! Ever Ready (British) closed up in the mid 1980's so now we have Eveready (one word) branded items but just Chinese items, nothing nice. Cob worklights and similar.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I call them that! From the late 1950's, and finished in big bright chrome and bright red fronts they demand to be seen!

View attachment 53886

But there's more too them than meets the eye. I think they are some of the absolute best incandescent lights available to normal users - and way better than the plastic tat that came in the late 60's onwards. So let's have a look what you get...

View attachment 53887

Choice of 2.5 or 3.5 inch reflectors, drawn brass body, thick chromium plate, high quality metal reflectors and glass lenses. You get a proper lockout, momentary switch and a choice of battery lengths from 2D to 5D. For road walking the red front glows to the side making you visible to vehicles.

View attachment 53888
I have to say, that is a proper flashlight! Wish they were all built with that level of quality.

Looking at the lights now in 2023 I am still impressed. Very impressed actually. From the mechanism of the switch to the general feel of them is spot on. No flickering. The reflectors are as per the box - quality. The larger head gives a tight spot and the smaller head a fatter SureFire E2 look. Stock is a 2.4V, 0.5A bulb, which while it gives a quality beam its just too weak nowadays. But the 2D size takes a 8AA pack perfectly and with an Edison 9V 0.75A Krypton bulb I love it hits all the right spots for me. Useful spill, strong wide beam and almost no rings.

View attachment 53889

I use while on winter hikes along the canal.

View attachment 53890

The best part is these are never expensive nowadays. And yet they are a genuine useful and handsome - and eye catching light. Keep a look out. They are well worth your money if you, like me, still value a good incandescent torch that isn't some highly strung special that requires nannying with lithium batteries etc.

Hope you enjoyed!

View attachment 53891

View attachment 53892

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these lights off of Egay and it had a dutch bulb in it. My neighbour said they are from the 70s.
In the UK they ran from around 1959 up to around 1968 to be replaced by the plastic 'Solar' range. Here's an ad from 1961. I'd be interested to know more about the timelines. How do you find yours?
Screenshot_20231210_181058_eBay.jpg

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the American Eveready version that is a bit more basic. You can find the model on the bay all day every day as Captain as the model name. 2xD with a shiney stainless body and red bezel.

I looked through my pics and found it.

Attachments

• C8E111E8-43AE-4600-899C-E3DF55969AF5.jpeg
    C8E111E8-43AE-4600-899C-E3DF55969AF5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
The UK had similar in the 1970's but made in Hong Kong - but still branded Ever Ready.
20231210_191231.jpg

But it's not reccomeded. Switch is not the best and the reflector is not metal. I wonder if this like the Captain? Does the captain have metal or plastic reflector?

It's all interesting!