Do different UI's get frustrating for anyone else?

Do different UI's mess you up?

• Yes, it boggles my mind.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, I am the master of any and all UI's.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • UI's? What's that? Single mode only (or can act like one) for me!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
My worst examples are from a Fenix HL-55 and a ZebraLight H600 headlamps, but I imagine the same issues are found in handheld torches as well. I'll get used to the UI on the Fenix, where I have to hold the button down for 2 seconds to turn it off, then intuitively do that to my ZebraLight, resulting in it staying on (low) without me knowing it, all day. I realize battery drain is minimal, but it's more annoying than anything, and utilizes too much of my minimal mental capacity to think about.

Then I'll get used to the ZL, and when I don the Fenix, I end up constantly cycling through all the modes trying to turn it off. It's become enough of an annoyance that I'm thinking about ditching one of 'em, to free up my consciousness a little bit.

Does the configuration of the user interface come into play when you consider buying a light? Is it a deal-breaker for anyone else, if it's too different from what you're used to?

On all my lights where you change modes with a quick depress of the button, I end up cycling through the modes almost every time I use it. Counting the steps, to figure out where I am. I prefer the ability to set the brightness before turning it on, and it staying there no matter what I do with the button, until I change it via a control ring, or maybe a separate button or switch. My only lights that work like that are the Fenix E-11, E-21, SWM V10R/V11R, and my single-mode flashlights. I adhere to the K.I.S.S. rule when I can, as anything smarter boggles my mind.
:shrug:

ven

Flashaholic
Sometimes yes,lights that have to be cycled through(no memory) every time to go through a strobe as one example. Luckily its more cheap lights with that type of UI !

I quite like the tm06 UI,although the rear clicky imo is not perfect for the size,the ability to fully press the side button to advance modes,1/2 press to drop back modes is great.........again imo. I do like the ability of a physical lock out..........well ideally not unscrewing the tail cap 3 turns or so anyway. Like on some,not even 1/4 turn on tail cap and locked out,no accidental activation if carried/stored etc etc.

Yes UI does become part of the factor for me,its kind of like a package,be it for a specific use,tint/led/build/fuel/UI/brand etc (in no specific order).

Having a good few lights all with different UI does not help,but getting used to them then i am fine with most UI's. From the mm15vn UI which takes a little getting used to,to others that are very user friendly from the start(sr52 for one example,similar to the mm15 with press/hold to ramp up modes,but no extra clicks and being strobed :laughing: ).

SRmini i find good,double click to advance,but its a "burst" type turbo with a hold power to access(no delay like with the fenix burst lights,its instant),soon as released it reverts to the mode you were on. Some like,some hate..........Guess there are enough UI's out there to meet most peoples needs,hard to find a "perfect" one for all though.........

Depending on the light,in general i prefer mode memory,others i dont want memory and to always start in low........so the UI plays a more important part in some light purchases over others.

Although some of SF's simple UI of 2 modes(low/high) is not much use for my requirements,i can certainly see advantages in others(law enforcement etc)where cycling through modes is not an option!

kj2

Flashaholic
Not really frustrating but does annoy me sometimes. For most of my lights, I know the UI and have no problem switching On/Off and changing modes. But with lights that I don't use that often, I have to think twice about the UI.

Berneck1

Enlightened
In the beginning I was all about the lumens, but as I got more lights and learned the UI's I realized the importance of a good UI. Some UI's have become a deal-breaker for me, no matter how good the specs. I particularly like to get to the highest and lowest setting from off.

There are some UI's where I just shake my head and wonder, what the heck were they thinking! However, for every UI that one hates, another loves it.

Not too many years ago there was one UI, on and off. The fact that we are even able to complain about this is a good thing. It means there are a lot of choices, and that's a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Amelia

Enlightened
The only perfect UI is the forward clicky magnetic ring - but it comes at a cost (decreased runtime, and larger dia. lights).
Everything else is just something I have to put up with in order to use a light - a necessary evil that I've learned to deal with. It's kind of a "whatever" for me when I read the specs - never a deal maker or breaker.

I care WAY more about tint, beam profile, runtime, and mode spacing than I do about UI.

Having said all that, there are a few UI choices by manufacturers that leave me shaking my head in disbelief! Sunwayman D40A - H-M-L... Uhhh... what? Sunwayman V25R full 360 Deg. ring with no stops. Seriously? Nitecore SRT red/blue flashing "cop mode"... Hmmm.... why not a battery level indicator instead?

Last edited:

Eneloops

Newly Enlightened
The only perfect UI is the forward clicky magnetic ring - but it comes at a cost (decreased runtime, and larger dia. lights).
Everything else is just something I have to put up with in order to use a light - a necessary evil that I've learned to deal with. It's kind of a "whatever" for me when I read the specs - never a deal maker or breaker.

I care WAY more about tint, beam profile, runtime, and mode spacing than I do about UI.

Having said all that, there are a few UI choices by manufacturers that leave me shaking my head in disbelief! Sunwayman D40A - H-M-L... Uhhh... what? Sunwayman V25R full 360 Deg. ring with no stops. Seriously? Nitecore SRT red/blue flashing "cop mode"... Hmmm.... why not a battery level indicator instead?

Forward clicky, magnetic control is my favorite as well. Been loving my V10R Ti+ so much, I ordered a black aluminum V11R just for redundancy. The Fenix E-11 and E-21 are similar, except only two modes, and it's not a magnetic ring (I don't think), but you twist the front to change its two modes. Close to the Sunwaymans, but without as much variability. Not bad for the price though, while still being somewhat similar.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I don't have enough lights to have too much trouble, but most of mine have similar UIs which I'm sure helps. I also have passed on some interesting lights that I may have bought if they had a different interface.

Kalpn

Newly Enlightened
I have no problem withe general IU across the various brands. However, I tend to forget how to access the hidden modes such as strode etc.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no problem withe general IU across the various brands. However, I tend to forget how to access the hidden modes such as strode etc.

That's a good point I forgot to mention also. I definitely have some lights for which I have no idea how to access strobe, but that's fine with me because I don't care about those modes.

markr6

Flashaholic
I feel like a master. Maybe with the exception of some of those EagleTacs where you have to twist the head back and forth 8,194 times to program :banghead:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel like a master. Maybe with the exception of some of those EagleTacs where you have to twist the head back and forth 8,194 times to program :banghead:

+1. I have no problem to speak of with different interfaces, but I simply despise twisty lights in any form except single mode, and even then I'd rather have a rear switch.

markr6

Flashaholic
+1. I have no problem to speak of with different interfaces, but I simply despise twisty lights in any form except single mode, and even then I'd rather have a rear switch.

I'll go low>med>hi all day with something like an L10, but throw in blinking modes and programming and I'll pass.