Is the Thrunite Ti usually as bad as the one I just got?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a Thrunite Ti to replace my Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi which died a couple of weeks afo after being carried on my key chain daily for several years. I *thought* the Thrunite Ti looked like a suitable replacement until I got mine today.

ROUGH threads- actually machined that way and not grit in the threads. Flickers on and off once I turn the head down, which makes it change modes quickly so I never know what mode I'm gonna get. I love the knurling which is way better than on the IlluminaTi but the IlluminaTi had MUCH better machining overall.

Just wondering if this is par for this light or did I get a dud. I love the form factor and modes of the light but was hoping for the quality of the IlluminaTi.

Dubois

Enlightened
I've bought at least a dozen of these lights as giveaways to friends and relations over the last year or so. I love the simple UI, and never had any complaints from the recipients. I tested all before I handed them over, and only one was dodgy, and didn't work properly. It was promptly replaced by Thrunite with a working model. I'd say you got a dud.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've bought at least a dozen of these lights as giveaways to friends and relations over the last year or so. I love the simple UI, and never had any complaints from the recipients. I tested all before I handed them over, and only one was dodgy, and didn't work properly. It was promptly replaced by Thrunite with a working model. I'd say you got a dud.
Okay, cool. I was going to send it in for exchange (got it on Amazon) but was thinking about trying something different if my first experience with one was the norm. I'll exchange it and hopefully get a good one.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a thrunite ti Xmas that was very gritty and is now smooth as butter. I just bought another one. It is also gritty, and I also know how to make it smooth. I take off the O ring and remove the battery, and work the threads back and forth, being careful to not overtighten. Do this with your favorite grease, put the grease only on the battery end, etc. Wipe out the head of the light with alcohol. The grease interferes with the modes, as does the interaction of the threads being gritty, and how much push or pull pressure we use to turn it on.

anyway, I Love my Tis, they are uniquely L4 instead of G2, and they have a really low firefly, .04, imo the .5 is a typo, see pic, left to right, maratac, olight, thrunite
IMG_6972.JPG
IMG_6830.JPG
IMG_6579.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6742.JPG

I prefer the tint of my G2 olight and Maratac, but the Titanium definitely has a claim to flood the most and has the lowest low. And like you I really like the knurling. I use one on my keychain with a Lithium.. 22 grams of fun.

If you decide to swap out, I highly recommend the Olight i3s, the threads are outstandingly smooth, and I really like the low level, and everything about it, except the lack of knurl..

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I got the replacement today and it's only slightly better than the first one. My experience with these two Thrunite Ti's has pretty much insured I won't purchase any Thrunite light in the future although others have probably had a different experience with the brand. If I get TWO samples of the same light and BOTH are basically junk, that speaks volumes to me. Maybe I was just spoiled with the way my IlluminaTi always worked perfectly from day one and did for many years until it died. Oh well, live and learn. This one is going back as well.

I'd be all over the Olight i3S if it came on in low instead of high- coming on in low is a must for me on a keychain light and most of my other lights as well.

After doing some research, I may try the Sunwayman R02A. I love the fact both modes can be reached instantly depending on which way the head is twisted.

After doing about an hour of research, I remembered I have a Preon 2 in titanium that I also purchased the single AAA body for, but have no tail cap since the Preon 2 came with a tail switch. I'll see if I can still order a tail cap for the Preon 1 body and I'll be all set since it comes on in low. I had completely forgotten the Preon 1 was a twisty originally.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received another Thrunite Ti. The color is slightly less green but it is also gritty, but only with a battery in it. The grittiness imho is from the battery positive contact. On my user Ti, this contact has worn in and my light is super smooth. If you have not sent it in already, I suggest you confirm for yourself that the threads are actually quite smooth without a battery. Im using a generous amount of dielectric grease on the threads.

you mention wanting Low to be first on your lights, I hope you find one you enjoy. I have another thread about mode sequences, in which I point out the word low, moonlight, and firefly, are all different lumen values. see
single aaa mode sequences, L-M-H, M-H-L, M-L-H practical applications

imho, the .5 lumens of the Olight i3s is ideal for most needs. The Thrunite Ti is a .04 lumen firefly, only good in pitch dark. Ive had your same concern about low first, however I invite you to share what lumen Low you are actually looking for. I now consider the Lumen Value of the Low, to be more important than where it is in sequence.

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
The second one also had poorly machined threads but that wasn't the only issue and it's already on it's way back for a refund. I had to crank it down HARD just to get the light to come on which rendered it completely useless as a one-handed light (the way I usually use my key chain lights). I turned it off and on probably 50 times and the result was the same every single time. It turned fairly easy until the last 1/8 of a turn to get it to turn on. That was the last straw for me with Thrunite. If I get 2 samples of the same light and both are horrible quality, I'm not trying anything else from a company like that.

I've been using/collecting flashlights for over 40 years and for a little $30 dollar light, I expect it to at least work correctly out of the box.

My favorite low lumen level would be 2-3 lumens and it DOES need to come on in low for me or at least have last level used memory so I can set it that way.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix ti is 4-27-100, but no pocket cllip

you might like the L-M-H
Titanium Innovations Illuminati CA1,
3-35-132, you get the pocket clip, and the keychain like the Olight. Titanium is optional, not required, and the light uses PWM, same as the Maratac Rev3 copper, whose sequence is 40-1.5-138 that I review here
First impressions, Maratac Rev3 aaa Copper - Candle Power Forums
Im not sure PWM is necessarily a bad thing, my Maratac has much nicer color than my Olight 20-80-.5 that has no PWM.

but for my Low, I like the 0.5 of the Olight best. I like my Thrunite Ti for the Titanium, and my Maratac Copper for the Copper, but I like the Olight for the Low, and it also has the nicest threads of the three. Ive never tried an iluminati.. let us know if you do

Last edited:

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix ti is 4-27-100, but no pocket cllip

you might like the L-M-H
Titanium Innovations Illuminati CA1,
3-35-132...

...Ive never tried an iluminati.. let us know if you do

Well, as mentioned in the first sentence of my op, the IlluminaTi is what I'm replacing since it died after many years of use. Absolutely loved that light but don't really want ro spend that much on a keychain light again.

Thanks for the info on the E99 Ti. I had discounted it because from all my research, it appeared to come on in high. Good to see it comes on in low. I might get one just to add to my collection and/or carry it.

I have a couple of Sunwayman R02A's on order thinking that might be the perfect keychain light for me with twist one way for low and the other for high.

Last edited: