Infinite variable ring control, 18650 or 123

TLN

Newly Enlightened
Hello all.

I'm new to the forum, have some questions regardless my next flashlight.

I finally decided to get one, so here's list of requirements:
-Small and slim. No need to be tactical and heavy.
-infinity variable. Clicks are ok, if there's many clicks in the range.
-18650 or 123 battery. If would be perfect if I find one with extender, so I can use it with either 1xCR123 or with 18650/2xCR123 with extender.
-Good UI.

As I searched and came to that results:
CR123 18650​
Nitecore SRT3 SRT5/SRT6
Sunwayman V11R V20C/V25C
Niteye MSC10 MSC20
Jetbeam RRT-01 RRT-2

And some drawbacks, I see, may be you can name something else:
Niteye - control ring on the tail.
Nitecore - not sure about QC
Sunwayman v25c - 360 deg ring.

For me, SRT-5, V20C and RRT-2 looks pretty good. Want to hear your opinion though.
And btw, still looking for possible flashlight with CR123 and extender to 18650.

Vic

lumenoftroy

Newly Enlightened
I can't compare it to any of the other lights you listed, but I quite like the V11R that's been living in my pocket for the last month.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only came to warn you that if you get a twist ring light that has tons of modes, IE blinkies, strobes, other colors and such, it is easy to get lost on the ring and activate those. I prefer a variable ring light that only has off and ramps up to its max. Keep it simple. Other wise when you go to turn it off or crank it up, you may end up looking like 5 cops shaking down a drug king pin on the side of a interstate at night.

TLN

Newly Enlightened
I can't compare it to any of the other lights you listed, but I quite like the V11R that's been living in my pocket for the last month.
It seems like a nice edc for me, but I still debating between single 123 and 18650. If there's 18650 extender for V11 or similar 1xCR123 flasg - this would be great!

I only came to warn you that if you get a twist ring light that has tons of modes, IE blinkies, strobes, other colors and such, it is easy to get lost on the ring and activate those. I prefer a variable ring light that only has off and ramps up to its max. Keep it simple. Other wise when you go to turn it off or crank it up, you may end up looking like 5 cops shaking down a drug king pin on the side of a interstate at night.
Hah :)
Can you name a few solid models without extra modes? This is what I'm looking for.
Actually I don't need anything but ring conrol. But I can see possible use for: red light, strobe, SOS light(hope not)

Amelia

Enlightened
I've either owned or handled/played with all of the lights you listed except for the NightEye.

I personally like the Sunwayman V11R the best of the bunch, because of the quality, size, and tint (I bought the Neutral White version). Plus, the super simple UI with no "tactical disco" is nice. Read up on the ring friction grease problem though... it's a big negative of these lights.

The NiteCore SRT3 and SRT5 are a little more versatile (higher high, lower low, strobe, red emitter, etc.) especially if you have both (the SRT3 head on the SRT5 body is the ULTIMATE multi-cell, multi-chemistry light). These lights also have a better magnetic ring design than the V11R, with spring tension instead of stupid grease that eventually evaporates. However, this all comes at the expense of a larger, bulkier light that is just a bit lower quality/fit/finish than the Sunwayman, and has worse quality tint (although the NiteCore SRT lights use some of the better tinted cool white emitters I've seen). They are great lights though - I'm not putting them down, just saying that I like the SWM better for several reasons.

I wouldn't bother with the Jetbeam - their quality has gone way downhill since the days of the 4-position magnetic ring models, and you can't get them in a warm or neutral tint any more - just cool white.

My latest project has been to take a pair of V11R extender tubes to a local machine shop, and get them bored to accept 16mm cells. I got them back 2 days ago, and I've been playing with the setup since... it's great! I can now load my V11R with a 16650 cell, and have approx. 3X the runtime of a 14500 or 16340 cell, and still have the option of removing extender tube sections if I want to run AA or CR123 sized cells. The only light that I have which does "multi-fueling" better is the SRT3/5 lego - which also gives me the 18650 option. The machinist who did my 16mm bore on the V11R extenders did not think there was enough material in the SWM sections to go 18mm, and I really didn't want to risk it. Plus, it would have cost more because I would have had to get the main body bored too. The 16mm 16650 bore job is great though - I'm very happy with it and the V11R has once again become my mainstay EDC.

I hope that wasn't boring, and that you get some value from it all! :)

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple of the SRT7 lights. With the strobe function on one end of the dial, then the colors, there is a detente before the white light on the other end. It isn't hard to figure out where you are at with mode, before turning the light on via the tail switch.

The negative thing on the SRT7 is the length of the light, it's long.

TLN

Newly Enlightened
Amelia, Wow, that's a really helpful post!

I still debate between SRT and V11/V20. Don't want to get V25 because of a 360 ring.
I'm new to flashlights, so my knowledge about batteries and li-ion is limited, but I guess 16650 is a bit less power then 18650.

From your post, I can get that V11 + two AA extenders can accept 16650 after some machine work, and probably can accept 18650, if I shave off 1mm more? right? no problems with LED, driver, ovverheating or antthing else? (I guess no, but still asking).

From what I read, 16650 are less popular then 18650, right? Btw, how does single 16650 compare to CR123? Sorry if this is dumb question.

Amelia

Enlightened
Amelia, Wow, that's a really helpful post!

I still debate between SRT and V11/V20. Don't want to get V25 because of a 360 ring.
I'm new to flashlights, so my knowledge about batteries and li-ion is limited, but I guess 16650 is a bit less power then 18650.

From your post, I can get that V11 + two AA extenders can accept 16650 after some machine work, and probably can accept 18650, if I shave off 1mm more? right? no problems with LED, driver, ovverheating or antthing else? (I guess no, but still asking).

From what I read, 16650 are less popular then 18650, right? Btw, how does single 16650 compare to CR123? Sorry if this is dumb question.

Thank you!

I'll answer your post and questions one point at a time.

First, you are smart to avoid the V25R with 360 Deg. ring. Very stupid idea from Sunwayman - plus it and the V20R are both a little too big for comfortable EDC, at least in my opinion.

16650 can be purchased with capacity (runtime) up to 2,500mAH. 18650 can be purchased up to 3,400mAH... 3,600mAH are made, but are "unobtanium" because of electric cars or something. At least I've never found anyone who has them in stock. So, you'll end up getting about 2/3 the capacity with 16650 that you will with 18650, and they're not as easy to find. However... they are smaller in diameter, which is important for a light like the V11R.

I don't know what the capacity of a new, modern, fresh CR123 primary cell is, I don't use them. However, the rechargeable variant (16340) has a 750mAH capacity for the highest cap. cells I've been able to find and buy. The "AA" sized Lithium Ion rechargeable (14500) can be found up to 840 mAH, but I've never been able to get more than about 810mAH out of one. So, you're looking at about 3X the capacity with 16650, by increasing the length of the light a bit using extenders. There is no danger to the driver or LED from increasing the capacity (mAH) of the battery, only from increasing the voltage. All of the Lithium Ion batteries we're talking about here are the same voltage (4.2V fresh from the charger) and all the lights we're talking about are designed to handle that, so there's no problem going to a larger cell for more runtime.

Finally, it's not as easy as just going 1 (actually 2) millimeters larger in the V11R and using 18650 - for a few reasons. First, you have to bore the BODY of the light (the part with the tailcap switch) if you go over 16mm, and it needs to be disassembled (switch assembly removed) to do this. The machinist who did my extender section boring seemed to think it would be about twice as much work as just doing the extenders, and wanted to be paid accordingly. I passed. Also, boring the body and extenders to 18mm leaves very, very little aluminum left over - there's a very real possibility of the tube breaking when you screw it together tightly (or at least that's what he told me, I believe it!). It looks like if you don't want to ruin your V11R, or at least not severely weaken it, 17mm is probably the largest you should go. However, the highest capacity cell you would use at 17mm (the 17650) is nowhere near as high capacity (1,800mAH) as the 16650 (2,500mAH), so there is really no point in going from 16mm to 17mm bore - and again, you'd have to bore the body too if you go larger than 16mm.

If you really want to use 18650 in your light, the Nitecore SRT5 (or SRT5 with SRT3 head, if you want to also be able to "McGyver" AA NiMH Eneloop batteries with rolled paper and tinfoil) would be your best bet. Just keep in mind that the light will be quite a bit bigger and bulkier than the V11R+extenders, I know - I have both setups and have EDC'ed both. The extra diameter and length don't really seem like they'd be that much, until you actually handle them in person. The SRT5 is the largest light I am comfortable EDC'ing, and it actually goes a little over the line for me personally. The V11R with 2 extender tubes is SO much nicer to carry - it's like a whisper by comparison.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
SRT series by Nitecore are nice lights. I have the SRT5 and have used it for EDC and love the magnetic ring. Long term it would likely be more durable but both it and the V11r are solid lights, just depends on if you want the smaller size or the benefits of the Srt3 like screw on clip and better magnetic ring plus extra modes.

Amelia

Enlightened
SRT series by Nitecore are nice lights. I have the SRT5 and have used it for EDC and love the magnetic ring. Long term it would likely be more durable but both it and the V11r are solid lights, just depends on if you want the smaller size or the benefits of the Srt3 like screw on clip and better magnetic ring plus extra modes.

I agree. The SRT3 has the best pocket clip out of all the options. I really like the red emitter too, for night vision preservation and map reading. The Nitecore SRT series lights really are very nice - if a bit bulky. I really like my Nitecore CU6 Chameleon with UV secondary emitter too... though it doesn't have a magnetic ring and the twin-emitter head is pretty huge. They are all excellent lights with good quality and features.

What I really want from the Nitecore is a SRT3 with 2 extender tubes, all bored to 18mm. THAT would be a nice multi-fueler! :)

Last edited:

TLN

Newly Enlightened
If you really want to use 18650 in your light, the Nitecore SRT5 (or SRT5 with SRT3 head, if you want to also be able to "McGyver" AA NiMH Eneloop batteries with rolled paper and tinfoil) would be your best bet. Just keep in mind that the light will be quite a bit bigger and bulkier than the V11R+extenders, I know - I have both setups and have EDC'ed both. The extra diameter and length don't really seem like they'd be that much, until you actually handle them in person. The SRT5 is the largest light I am comfortable EDC'ing, and it actually goes a little over the line for me personally. The V11R with 2 extender tubes is SO much nicer to carry - it's like a whisper by comparison.
I got the same idea. One one hand 18650 is quite popualar and ncie capacity. On the other hand it might be quite big for EDC. I plan to carry CR123 when in the city(occasional use), and add extenders and 16650/18650 when going outdoors or traveling.
I got maglite with 2xAA in it, it was like 18mm body with 25.4 head. For me it's quite slim. 1" body will be just fine, I think.

I agree. The SRT3 has the best pocket clip out of all the options. I really like the red emitter too, for night vision preservation and map reading. The Nitecore SRT series lights really are very nice - if a bit bulky. I really like my Nitecore CU6 Chameleon with UV secondary emitter too... though it doesn't have a magnetic ring and the twin-emitter head is pretty huge. They are all excellent lights with good quality and features.

What I really want from the Nitecore is a SRT3 with 2 extender tubes, all bored to 18mm. THAT would be a nice multi-fueler! :)

Exactly, my thoughts. SRT-3 with extender(may be longer extender for 18650) will be perfect. And I like those red led for night photography.

If you really want to use 18650 in your light, the Nitecore SRT5 (or SRT5 with SRT3 head, if you want to also be able to "McGyver" AA NiMH Eneloop batteries with rolled paper and tinfoil) would be your best bet. Just keep in mind that the light will be quite a bit bigger and bulkier than the V11R+extenders,
Hm... I've checked the website, and it looks like SRT-3 and SRT-5 hae same head. They have same modes, same pics on a webiste. It might look different, because of a length.

Last edited:

Amelia

Enlightened
...Hm... I've checked the website, and it looks like SRT-3 and SRT-5 hae same head. They have same modes, same pics on a webiste. It might look different, because of a length.

The heads are definitely different, they just look the same. My SRT5 head will not light the main emitter on Eneloop (NiMH 1.2v), only the red emitter. My SRT3 head runs the main emitter just fine on Eneloop. Also, the SRT5 head goes up to 700 lumens brightness, the SRT3 only goes to 550. Same battery voltage (4.2V), so there's something different going on there. One last thing - I haven't tried it (for obvious reasons), but I suspect that 2X rechargeable 123 would probably KILL the SRT3 head... I'm not anxious to find out! :)

P.S. Your first quote is broken. Needs a closing bracket after my name.

Last edited:

TLN

Newly Enlightened
Considering that I'm new to flashlights and used quite simple maglite before, what do you think better to start with? SRT-3 (or v11r) or SRT-5? Smallest one is easy to carry, pack of CR123 will probably last several montths for me, and it probably will be enough for the beginning. Or grab bigger one with 18650 and more lumens?

Amelia

Enlightened
Considering that I'm new to flashlights and used quite simple maglite before, what do you think better to start with? SRT-3 (or v11r) or SRT-5? Smallest one is easy to carry, pack of CR123 will probably last several montths for me, and it probably will be enough for the beginning. Or grab bigger one with 18650 and more lumens?

You really won't notice much difference between the 550 Lumens of the SRT3 and the 700 Lumens of the SRT5. The only reason I bought the SRT5 was 18650 battery support, but I already had a ton of other 18650 lights, batteries, and chargers. If I was starting out and mainly wanted to use CR123 primaries (non-rechargeables), I'd be happy with either the V11R or the SRT3... for different reasons.

V11R Pros
-----------
Small size (shorter, smaller dia.)
Lighter Weight
Available with Neutral White emitter
Extra simple interface - no blinky modes
Higher quality fit/finish

V11R Cons
------------
Ring becomes looser due to grease evaporation
Extender tube for AA costs extra
Not quite as bright or dim on high and low
No red emitter or strobe, if you like those things
Pocket clip is "snap on" - comes off unintentionally too

SRT3 Pros
------------
Better ring friction design, no grease evaporation
Has extra colored emitters, if you like that
Has "blinky" modes, strobe, beacon, etc.
Brighter high, dimmer low
AA extender tube comes with light, not an extra purchase
WAY better pocket clip, screwed on
Available with either black or dark gray anodized finish

SRT3 Cons
------------
Heavier, larger, bulkier
More complex to operate, might be a problem under stress
Super worthless "cop mode" designed by, and for, idiots
Fit and finish not quite as good

The price of both is roughly the same, but the V11R will cost more (for the optional extender tube) if you plan to run AA batteries.

So there it is. Both lights are really excellent - you can't go wrong with either. Keep up the interest in flashlights, and you'll probably end up with both anyway! :)

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amelia says:
"SRT3 Cons
------------

Super worthless "cop mode" designed by, and for, idiots"

That sums it up for me.

See post #3 again. :)

Berneck1

Enlightened
Amelia says:
"SRT3 Cons
------------

That sums it up for me.

My four-year-old son doesn't think it's worthless lololol

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

desmobob

Enlightened
I really like my Jetbeam RRT0SE. It has the strobe and SOS modes at the opposite end of the ring from the variable output with a detent at "standby" to separate them. It comes with an extender; not for 18650, but for AA. It has a very floody beam and lots of output with an RCR123 (16340).

I find it very easy to know where the ring is set and what the output will be when I turn it on. I got the light as a gift. It's not one I would have picked out myself, but it now rides in my cargo pants/shorts pocket as my after-work EDC light.

Take it easy,
Bob

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it were me, between the two I would go with the SRT3 to start out with. The biggest cons to me of the v11r are twofold: first the possibility of the magnetic ring loosening up with time. I've seen that most people who use their light frequently have to send it off to be repaired, that means back to China. You're talking about 1-2 months without your light which means you'll have to buy or use something else in the mean time.

Another big con is the pocket clip. Clipons like the v11r typically do not retain quite as well and have more potential to get lost. I actually have a real life experience where this happened. I was outside with one of my lights working and chopping wood as it was getting dark. In the process my light worked its way out of my pocket and the pocket clip came off. A few mins later I realized what had happened and searched for my flashlight and the pocket clip. I finally did find the light but the pocket clip I never did. In a real life situation where one is working or doing a lot of activity, the clip on has a far greater chance of working loose or popping off if suddenly hit and then your flashlight might get lost. Those two cons are the reason I consider the SRT3 superior despite its larger size. The operation of it is simple and the quick access to sos or strobe are very easy to learn.

Amelia

Enlightened
If it were me, between the two I would go with the SRT3 to start out with. The biggest cons to me of the v11r are twofold: first the possibility of the magnetic ring loosening up with time. I've seen that most people who use their light frequently have to send it off to be repaired, that means back to China. You're talking about 1-2 months without your light which means you'll have to buy or use something else in the mean time.

Another big con is the pocket clip. Clipons like the v11r typically do not retain quite as well and have more potential to get lost. I actually have a real life experience where this happened. I was outside with one of my lights working and chopping wood as it was getting dark. In the process my light worked its way out of my pocket and the pocket clip came off. A few mins later I realized what had happened and searched for my flashlight and the pocket clip. I finally did find the light but the pocket clip I never did. In a real life situation where one is working or doing a lot of activity, the clip on has a far greater chance of working loose or popping off if suddenly hit and then your flashlight might get lost. Those two cons are the reason I consider the SRT3 superior despite its larger size. The operation of it is simple and the quick access to sos or strobe are very easy to learn.

The clip on my V11R has only popped off once - snagged on my bag strap. Once is once too many, though... I'm looking for aftermarket screw-on clip options now that I've found a reasonable local machinist who's willing to work with me.

The magnetic ring grease issue is a big worry, though. Probably the biggest "Con" of all with these lights. Mine has loosened considerably, but is still functional and has enough friction to still work OK. If it gets much worse, I'll probably have to get it fixed - I've bought 2 extra V11R's with neutral tint emitters just in case I'm without my main one for a while.

To the OP: The SRT3 is a really nice light, I'm sure you would be happy with it. You might be better off not trying the V11R though - you might become addicted to it like I am, and need to resort to all kinds of measures like I'm forced to take in order to keep using it! :)

TLN

Newly Enlightened
Amelia says:
"SRT3 Cons
------------

That sums it up for me.

yea, but what can I do with that if it turns out to be a better here and there?
Just avoid turning "cop mode" on :)

The only thing prevents me from buying this one - there's V11R on the market for a nice price. But it's used, grease ring, cool white, so SRT3 still looks better to me.
And for some reason, SRT-5 is cheaper. :shrug:

Last edited: