High CRI and high efficacy

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
I've just noticed a bulb with both high CRI (92) and high efficacy (89 lumens/watt). It is the Green Creative Titanium Crisp 4.0. It is also rated for fully enclosed fixtures, has an R9 rating of 60, and is dimmable. Overall the specifications are very impressive. It is an A19 bulb 60 watt equivalent. Available in 2700K only. The price is reasonable at $16/bulb but I can only find it online. Does anyone have any experience with this bulb?

slebans

Enlightened
That's odd. The Green Creative 80CRI bulb data sheet says "Suitable for use in totally enclosed fixtures" ( Product Data Sheet )
but the 92CRI bulb data sheet says "Not intended for use in totally enclosed fixtures". (Product Data Sheet )

Here's a list of LED bulbs for enclosed fixtures on EarthLED: https://www.earthled.com/collection...-fully-enclosed-fixture-rated-led-light-bulbs

EarthLED has a issue with their SKU database. The majority of the bulbs are listed as suitable for enclosed fixtures but when you check the Datasheet it states the SKU is not suitable for enclosed fixtures. I checked several SKUs last night and meant to Email EarthLED but never got around to it.

CoveAxe

Enlightened
I have two Titanium 4.0 bulbs (Not the high-CRI version that you have). Both 4000k. One is 800 lumens and not rated for enclosed fixtures, and the other is 1600 lumens and is rated for enclosed fixtures. I bought them because they are the only bulbs I could find with a 4000k CCT.

I've only played with them a little bit so far but they seem to be reasonably good quality. I put the 1600 lumen bulb in a tiny enclosure that is on for about 10 hours a day to see if it lasts. I figure if it can withstand that for a month or two, then it's built pretty well. From what I can tell, Green Creative is trying to establish itself as a mid-tier LED bulb maker that bridges the gap between the cheap store-bought bulbs and the really high-end expensive ones. Basically what Cree would be had they stayed with their initial product design quality.

I'd just buy one and give it a try. There's much worse things that you could spend $16 on.

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
EarthLED has a issue with their SKU database. The majority of the bulbs are listed as suitable for enclosed fixtures but when you check the Datasheet it states the SKU is not suitable for enclosed fixtures. I checked several SKUs last night and meant to Email EarthLED but never got around to it.

Thanks for pointing this out. I got the specifications, including the supposed suitability for enclosed fixtures, from EarthLED's site.

@CoveAxe: I was put off by having to pay $9.99 to ship one bulb, but I found a free shipping coupon code for EarthLED and ordered one.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I've just noticed a bulb with both high CRI (92) and high efficacy (89 lumens/watt). It is the Green Creative Titanium Crisp 4.0. It is also rated for fully enclosed fixtures, has an R9 rating of 60, and is dimmable. Overall the specifications are very impressive. Available in 2700K only.
I suspect the bulb is using a separate red emitter combined with a greenish-white LED, a strategy that has been used by a few other companies.
(This type of LED technology has gone under the name "TrueWhite" or "Brilliant-Mix")

The particular 92CRI is very indicative of this separate emitter approach. The high efficiency, combined with the mediocre R9 red value is also consistent with this presumption.

There is also an MR16 version of the Green Creative Titanium Crisp, which obviously does not have separate wavelength LED emitters (the individual LEDs are visible), but the CRI on that version is 95, which means it is using a different type of LED.

Last edited:

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
What are the chances this bulb just happens to be exactly 92CRI and has an unusually high efficiency for a retrofit LED bulb?
The L-prize (92CRI) was another retrofit bulb that used separate red emitters. LEDnovation also made one.

The EcoSmart LED downlight (2700K) also uses separate red emitters, and is 92CRI, see this thread.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Actually that efficiency is relatively easy at 90CRI now. Its just a cost play wrt how many LEDs and drive current.

SemiMan

Banned
... And most phosphor 90CRI only guarantee 50+ throwing your R9 argument out the window.