Guide to 18650

Vish

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Can any one help me provide some good guide to any website to buy reliable 18650 batteries. I have been into AA flashlights and ended up getting my first 18650 rechargable flashlight from a flea market (Police brand). Its kind of ok but i would like to try using a better brand of 18650 button top. Thank you.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second MTN suggestion. Gear Best has some too. Just stay away from anything with "Fire" in the name, or anything with some stupid high capacity claims.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I've had good results with: Panasonic, Orbtronic, AW, and KeepPower 18650s. I concur to stay away from any "Fire" brands - high chance of recycled/tired notebook batteries repackaged with new wrappers etc.

mdocod

Flashaholic
We may well be getting into a sort of "golden age" for the 18650. It has gone mainstream at this point, with high quality cells from Panasonic, LG, Samsung, and Sanyo becoming widely available. Awesome!

One of the most popular general purpose high capacity 18650's right now is the Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAH cell. In many single cell flashlights that are either buck regulated only, linear regulated, or have low-voltage cut-off to protected the cells, in combination with a good quality charger, you can technically use these cells in "bare" unprotected form. As well as many other quality name brand cells.

For better versatility/compatibility and safety (depends), you may want to get button top protected cells instead, in which case, there are many options:

Here's a list of *some* brands that are offering protected re-branded Panasonic 3400mAH cells: most with a button top or raised top: (there are probably even MORE than this, but this is what I can think of at the moment)

NiteCore
Jetbeam
AW
Olight
Xtar
Keepower
Orbtronic
Eagletac
Efest
Fenix
Intl-Outdoors
Armytek
Zebralight

Some of these brands also offer other high quality cells with different discharge characteristics or charging requirements that may or may not be worth considering, depending on the device in question. Also, pay attention to overall length and the type of positive contact. Flat top, raised top, or button top makes a difference in compatibility with different flashlights, as well as the length.

You can read reviews for many of them here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary UK.html

---------

I used to use and recommend almost nothing but protected li-ion cells, now days, I don't think the protection is as critically important, as we have more single cell options to choose from that are fantastic, and more good quality chargers to choose form a reasonable prices, and the cells themselves are inherently safer anyway, due to advancements in li-ion cell technology.

Chuckhov's recommendation to check out mtnelectronics is exactly spot on. Probably the best selection and pricing of quality brand name cells at reasonable prices, available bare, button top, or button-top with protection in many cases, that you'll find anywhere in the states.

wjv

Enlightened
On Amazon.com

Orbtronic's 3,400 mAh are some of the best bang for the buck in the quality, high capacity cells.

In the budget world, Tenergy makes good (safe and realistic mAh ratings) budget cells.