Diy 12v hunting spotty

Neily

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, My first post so bare with me.
i do a lot of spotlighting for foxes etc around my farm and neighbours, I currently run a old driving light with a eBay 55w hid kit fitted into it to replace the original h3 halogen. I used this to replace my 100w halogen powabeam Spotlight because it's brighter and lighter. This is a through the roof remote setup in my hilux ute, not sure if you are familiar with this setup but I assume most people use these for hunting aswell. So what I'm trying to find out is if there is a way to build or convert my old powabeam Spotlight with a more powerful hid setup. My current 55w setup works ok but more would be better, is it possible for me to build something with say 200w or even more 500w etc? Obviously I'm not very knowledgeable on the technical side of hid, I had wondered if I could for eg fit 3-4 55w hid bulbs into my old powabeam light lol. Is there some way to fit say a 500w floodlight bulb etc and use an inverter to run it off 12v? These questions may sound silly but I'll never know if I dont ask, does 100w compared to 55w result in double the light for eg? Hope someone can help me out, sorry for the long winded post.
Thanks neil.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, 1st off.... Why? What are you looking to have this light do? Shine farther or just generally plop a disgusting amount of light roughly in front of you?
500w HID in an automotive friendly design is going to be extremely tough. I think about 100w 12v ballasts are about as big as they get, after that, you're looking at inverter assemblies and larger AC powered ballasts.....along with some scary heat.

They're large spotlight systems, usually designed for military and nautical usage but they require higher voltages then a car/truck.
Would a light bar (for flood) and separate spot light for honing in work?
If you're just trying to get more light farther down range, more wattage isn't always the best answer. 75w maxabeam hits 2 miles. But that's only ±1100 lumens or so. A 55 watt HID is around 5000 lumens. The light source for HID is larger so it's harder to focus it and project it downrange.

Neily

Newly Enlightened
Hi FRITZHID
i suppose to answer you question I suppose all I'm wanting to do is increase the amount of light down range. I suppose that even my current setup will shine a lot farther than I can shoot, it will show up on trees for eg at great distance but even at 4-500m it's useless for shooting. Currently I have good light out to approx 250-300m all I would like to do is stretch the actual useful amount of light out a bit further, obviously I just assumed more watts would achieve this but it sounds a bit more complicated than I thought. Any advice on how I could go about this?
Thanks neil.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tbh, I'm kinda surprised your current setup doesn't hit the distances you want.
How big is your reflector/light itself? Have pic?
Are you looking to diy this or would a pre-fab light work?
What's your price range?
I know a police style post light can easily hit 1000yds. Would something like that work?
Another thing to ask, would you prefer a light that can be turned on and off quickly? (HID do NOT like that at all)
Are you opposed to LED? There are a few LED lights out there that'll hit the 1000yrd mark.
Lastly, where are you located?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps, Look into ArmyTek and Olight. They have some lights ready to go that have outstanding throw for nighttime predator hunting. Some that will throw 700+ yards.

Neily

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I only have pics on my phone, I'm not sure how to post them. My current light is just an old narva 6inch driving light converted and the old Powa beam halogen is 9 inches. It's kinda hard to explain but the light will shine a long distance but the useful distance is about 300m, I can see a lil bit further through the rifle scope but that doesn't help much when you are looking for things. Basically want to be able to see roos by eye out to 4-500m. Thinking DIY, most hid spotlights sell for around the $400 mark that I have seen so I'm happy to spend at least $500 a $400 light is only marginally better than my $50 setup! I'm not familiar with the police light, not against led but all the ones I've seen only seem to be good short distance-on tractors etc. I'm not to concerned about switching it on and off often, generally I just leave it on. I'm in Australia.

Neily

Newly Enlightened
Yeah that's correct, it's hard wired straight from the battery.

Neily

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if you are familiar with the setup, I have what's called a remote which is just a handle basically that pivots on a ball which is mounted through the roof of the cab which gives you up and down and 360. So you have a handle inside the cab to move the light around whilst driving and the light mounted on top. It's a permanent fixture realy, the light can be removed of the top if need be but I rarely do. It's all hard wired directly from the vehicle battery.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like what most all police cars have on them. They work pretty well.

When they pull me over, they try to shine it into your side view mirror so you can't see what the officer is doing. I quickly adjust the mirror. :)