XTAR VC2 or Nitecore Intellicharger i2

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I am choosing between two very similarly-priced li-ion chargers (at least, on BrightNite.com.au). I have done fairly extensive research on the XTAR VC2, and a bit less on the Nitecore i2.
I will be using the charger primarily to charge this battery (Olight 18650 3.7v 2600mAh Lithium-Ion Protected). I do not need fast charging time, but I do want reliability and do not plan to buy another charger for a very long time.
I am leaning towards the XTAR VC2 because the display could be useful to me (such as roughly checking the actual capacity of the battery); is there any reason why I should consider the Nitecore i2 and sacrifice this great feature (other than charging more battery types)?
Also note the charger won't be under a high load (more occasional use).

Thanks, Hamish.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought the Xtar VC4 USB charger. It does 4 slots, costs $30, does NiMH and li-ions, charges at 4x500mA, or 2x1A, has displays for mAh input/capacity, voltage and it runs off 5v USB 2.1A wall warts, so if you ever get a 5v USB solar charger, or have a USB power bank with 2A output, you can use it on those. These all make it a pretty flexible and quality charger.

Chris

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the Xtar VC4 USB charger. It does 4 slots, costs $30, does NiMH and li-ions, charges at 4x500mA, or 2x1A, has displays for mAh input/capacity, voltage and it runs off 5v USB 2.1A wall warts, so if you ever get a 5v USB solar charger, or have a USB power bank with 2A output, you can use it on those. These all make it a pretty flexible and quality charger.

Chris
Awesome! Great to hear yours runs well. For those charging time features and the ability to charge other batteries, I'd get a VC4, but here in Aus a genuine VC2 is $30 and VC4 is $60.
I'll most likely but the VC2 over the Nitecore because I don't think I'll worry about NiMH and stuff any time in the next few years.

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened

Chris
I'm also considering the Nitecore again because sometime I might want to charge AAA or AAA batteries, which the VC2 can't. Hmm...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm also considering the Nitecore again because sometime I might want to charge AAA or AAA batteries, which the VC2 can't. Hmm...

$60AU vs. $30AU is a big difference and I wouldn't have paid that for it, but the VC4 is really the way to go for me, someone who wanted a 5V USB SHTF type charger.

I first went with the Xtar XP1 and the Xtar MC1+, about $18 together and I didn't really need to buy those in retrospect, once the VC4 arrived.

Chris

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would absolutely choose the Xtar VP2.

The LCD display is worth its weight in gold.

EDIT: I didn't read the title carefully enough.

I would choose the VC2, then!

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the VC2, VC4 and the Nitecore i4. Of them all, I prefer the VC2-this may just be personal preference like Ford Vs Chevy, but the VC2 is the most accurate at cell readings. Since I am religious about DMM readings when using multi-cell lights that may be part of it. I just prefer the display of the VC2. Granted, it can't do NIMH, but since I have 3 or 4 Eneloop chargers it is inconsequential. Even though I have a lot of flashlights and batteries, it is not that often I need to charge 4 at a time(unless I have been using a four cell light). Any Costco sells Eneloops, and mine comes with 8 AA's, 4 AAA's and a four channel charger all for $29. That and a VC2 and you should be good for a long, long time...

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the VC2, VC4 and the Nitecore i4. Of them all, I prefer the VC2-this may just be personal preference like Ford Vs Chevy, but the VC2 is the most accurate at cell readings. Since I am religious about DMM readings when using multi-cell lights that may be part of it. I just prefer the display of the VC2. Granted, it can't do NIMH, but since I have 3 or 4 Eneloop chargers it is inconsequential. Even though I have a lot of flashlights and batteries, it is not that often I need to charge 4 at a time(unless I have been using a four cell light). Any Costco sells Eneloops, and mine comes with 8 AA's, 4 AAA's and a four channel charger all for $29. That and a VC2 and you should be good for a long, long time...

Well, the VC2 and the VC4 share the same display and one would presume, most of the same CC/CV circuitry.

Unless you need a small USB type li-ion charger and have to have the VC2's size over the bigger VC4, there's really not a lot that the VC2 does over the VC4, if anything.

VC4 has 4 shots, but can charge 2 slots up at 1A. The VC2 is stuck at 500mA as a max charge rate.

The VC4 charges NiMH batteries and charges them pretty well. Both do a good job of charging li-ions, although both the VC2's and VC4's 500mA rate is a tad high for the 16340s and 10440s--still, for the former, 500mA won't kill them.

On a big 3500mAh cell, 500mA on anything but a 2.1A wall wart, is going to be painfully slow. Not so much for the 14500s and 16340s.

If you really need a smaller li-ion charger, the Xtar MC1+ does 500mA and 1A, but is only a 1 slot USB charger.

Chris

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input, everyone.
I'm still making the final decision - I'm worried that in the future I might want to get some AA rechargeable batteries, and with the VC2 I won't be able to charge them. However, the visual display could be a reason to sacrifice that functionality. I'm not sure how useful the display would be to me, but I admit it'd be nice to watch. :p

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened
Also what about this charger?
I can't find much info on it, but does it go at least up to 70mm length (charging bays) and does anyone know if it's decent quality?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input, everyone.
I'm still making the final decision - I'm worried that in the future I might want to get some AA rechargeable batteries, and with the VC2 I won't be able to charge them. However, the visual display could be a reason to sacrifice that functionality. I'm not sure how useful the display would be to me, but I admit it'd be nice to watch. :p

You can turn off the displays if you're tired of looking at them. Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them, right?

The key with the VC4 and the VC2 is the fact that they run off of 5v USB sockets and not 120vac/12vdc. This makes them ideal for the many 5v USB solar panels coming out and to be used in some sort of situation where one's power goes out and one can't use his regular chargers.

The NiteCore D2/D4s are nice, but they don't run on USB's 5v. The UM10, UM20 and VC2 are 5v USB powered, but those three don't do both chemistries--NiMH and li-ion (ICR/IMR.) And the VC4 gets graded highly by HKJ in all but the speed category, but everybody's in the same boat (= < 4x500mA) when it comes to charging 4 cells at once.

Why shortchange yourself if you don't really have to?

Chris

Obtuse Penguin

Newly Enlightened
If you are considering the i2 I would say get the Nitecore D2, its only 4 or 5 dollars more than the i2 ($18 vs $13) and the display is very functional. It shows time charging, current, and voltage. I picked one up off amazon for 15 bucks a few months ago and I have been very happy with it.

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened
Alright. Here, I believe I can get the D2 for $35 or $36 and the i2 for $29 here. I'm planning to get the VC2 and possibly another cheap charger for charging AA cells. The reasons are:
1. Need the extra length of the VC2 if I'm using Olight protected 18650 batteries
2. VC2 display is very informative and simple
3. There might be another reason but if there is, I forgot...

Anyway, I wish I could get NiMH compatibility but sadly that's not an option if I also want the other things. However, I could get a $30 more standard AA charger with eneloops for $30 or find another single-slot charger for less than $15 AUD (let me know if you know any).

USSR

Newly Enlightened
What about opus bt-c3100 2.2 for 38_40 US $ with free shipping? I bought one from aliexpress and got it.. That has more features.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
$60AU vs. $30AU is a big difference and I wouldn't have paid that for it, but the VC4 is really the way to go for me, someone who wanted a 5V USB SHTF type charger.

I first went with the Xtar XP1 and the Xtar MC1+, about $18 together and I didn't really need to buy those in retrospect, once the VC4 arrived.

Chris

Sounds interesting.

keithy

Enlightened
Hamish, if you order either the Nitecore or the Xtar from overseas sellers like Gearbest, it will be cheaper than buying it locally.

If you posted a few weeks ago, Gearbest had the Xtar VC4 on sale for around AUD$27 delivered. Now it's gone back to it's regular price of around AUD$40 delivered. I got mine a while back, and quite pleased with it. Shipping was around 10 days to Melbourne.

I also have the Intellicharger I4 and I2, and at the moment, the I4 with a euro plug (you can just swap it out for a local aussie fig-8 power cable or use a plug adapter) is around AUD$26.

As recommended, the Opus BT - C3100 is a charger with more features than the Xtar VC3. Currently up to V2.2 it's going for around AUD$43 (USD$33).

or find another single-slot charger for less than $15 AUD (let me know if you know any).

If you live in the Eastern states and have access to an Ikea, they are having a "Ikea Family" sale price on their 4 independent cell NiMH charger for $15. HKJ has reviewed it here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Ikea Ladda YH-990BF UK.html And if you are there as well, they also have their Ladda LSD batteries for $4 for a 4 pack.

Last edited:

Obtuse Penguin

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure where you are buying the chargers but they should be the same price on the internet/amazon, minus the difference in shipping. They shouldn't be $35 or $29 unless the shipping is ridiculously high or you are paying extra to get them from a brick and mortar store. Both the D2 and the i2 should be able to handle most 18650 batteries and are also NiMH/NiCd compatible. If you are looking for an only NiMH charger and you don't want functions I recommend the BQ-CC17 charger that can be bought with 4 eneloop batteries for about $18. If you want a lot of functions I highly recommend the ambient weather BC-2000. It has a variety of functions and is $35 on amazon (aka free shipping, don't know how that works in Australia though).

ven

Flashaholic
Been using the opus bt-3100 v2.2 for a short while now and pretty good!!! I like the option of charging all 4 cells at 1a,also in bays 1+4 the option at 1.5a(or 2a)which comes in handy for my IMR cells in need of a quick charge.

The modes work pretty good too,display has various info from V to mah,refresh etc ,not as crisp as the Xtars vc4 though.The only down side of the bt-3100 for me is the fan noise,kind of.......well ridiculous :laughing: ,luckily its not on all the time..........would drive me mad! Well i am sat near it.........

I like the vc4 a lot,but have struggled with a USB plug to cope with the A ask charging. In fact i have spent quite a bit more than the charger on 5v 2.1a plugs to cope............my various apple chargers wont cope after 10 mins,charge drops down. I have even spent equivalent of $20 on one plug alone to no avail:ohgeez: Probably a charger issue i guess!

Out of all the chargers i have(opus x1/nitecore x1/Xtar x6/AWT x2) the Xtar's are of a nicer quality imo,the vc4 has to be one of their most solid chargers along with the vp2/vp4(heavy and better quality plastic).

For a jack of all trades,good value(but not quite the Xtar quality) the opus bt-3100 v2.2 is a good option imo . Main reason for me is the higher charge options with 2 or 4 cells.........

:)

Last edited:

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened
Hamish, if you order either the Nitecore or the Xtar from overseas sellers like Gearbest, it will be cheaper than buying it locally.

If you posted a few weeks ago, Gearbest had the Xtar VC4 on sale for around AUD$27 delivered. Now it's gone back to it's regular price of around AUD$40 delivered. I got mine a while back, and quite pleased with it. Shipping was around 10 days to Melbourne.

I also have the Intellicharger I4 and I2, and at the moment, the I4 with a euro plug (you can just swap it out for a local aussie fig-8 power cable or use a plug adapter) is around AUD$26.

As recommended, the Opus BT - C3100 is a charger with more features than the Xtar VC3. Currently up to V2.2 it's going for around AUD$43 (USD$33).

If you live in the Eastern states and have access to an Ikea, they are having a "Ikea Family" sale price on their 4 independent cell NiMH charger for $15. HKJ has reviewed it here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Ikea Ladda YH-990BF UK.html And if you are there as well, they also have their Ladda LSD batteries for $4 for a 4 pack.
Thanks! I might have a look at Gearbest.

Wind100100

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure where you are buying the chargers but they should be the same price on the internet/amazon, minus the difference in shipping. They shouldn't be $35 or $29 unless the shipping is ridiculously high or you are paying extra to get them from a brick and mortar store. Both the D2 and the i2 should be able to handle most 18650 batteries and are also NiMH/NiCd compatible. If you are looking for an only NiMH charger and you don't want functions I recommend the BQ-CC17 charger that can be bought with 4 eneloop batteries for about $18. If you want a lot of functions I highly recommend the ambient weather BC-2000. It has a variety of functions and is $35 on amazon (aka free shipping, don't know how that works in Australia though).
The chargers cost that much because I'm buying from Australia. Can't purchase any from Amazon.