Recommend a Spot Light

blown04gt

Newly Enlightened
I have responsibility over 6 100k sf warehouses and we have a requirement to keep a disaster recovery kit onsite at each facility. The current kit contains a very cheap d-cell battery spot light that is probably a $10 light and would shatter if it hit the ground from hand height. I am looking to replace these cheap plastic lights with something that's a little more robust and has better light coverage. I am not as concerned about the battery type, but if you have any recommendations for something that would suit better for a disaster scenary, I'm all ears.

Can you guys recommend a better option for a good spotlight for under $100? Thanks!

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have responsibility over 6 100k sf warehouses and we have a requirement to keep a disaster recovery kit onsite at each facility. The current kit contains a very cheap d-cell battery spot light that is probably a $10 light and would shatter if it hit the ground from hand height. I am looking to replace these cheap plastic lights with something that's a little more robust and has better light coverage. I am not as concerned about the battery type, but if you have any recommendations for something that would suit better for a disaster scenary, I'm all ears.

Can you guys recommend a better option for a good spotlight for under $100? Thanks!

You are likely looking for a good quality LED light for that application, I am sure someone can make some suggestions.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you brought up dropping the light, I'd look at a light a Streamlight poly tac light powered by a primary lithium ion battery due to shelf life.

It will provide enough light to search out problems but not so over powering as to blind ones self.

Purchasing any light powered by alkaline batteries is a disaster waiting to happen. Lithium batteries have long storage life and will provide hours of run time.

blown04gt

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestion, definitely looks like it would survive a drop for sure. And for $40 it is definitely affordable.

Since you brought up dropping the light, I'd look at a light a Streamlight poly tac light powered by a primary lithium ion battery due to shelf life.

It will provide enough light to search out problems but not so over powering as to blind ones self.

Purchasing any light powered by alkaline batteries is a disaster waiting to happen. Lithium batteries have long storage life and will provide hours of run time.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do what we did at work when making up an emergency kit. Get a simple rugged AA penlight for a few dollars, load it with lithium primaries, and fasten it to the outside of the emergency kit. Then in the kit get something like the Streamlight 4C Waypoint or the Rayovac 4C lantern and a couple of sets of quality C cells. Do Not Put the Cells in the Light. That way, if they do leak, they won't damage anything. Either light should be more than enough to meet your needs without costing a lot.

blown04gt

Newly Enlightened
Great idea on the penlight! We've had to use our kits in one location before, but it wasn't a lights out scenario so we didn't really have to use the lights. But great point, how can you look through the kit to find the light if you don't have a light readily available? I like the look of the waypoint, but right now that might be a little large for the kits. Definitely some things to consider for sure, appreciate everyone's feedback!

Do what we did at work when making up an emergency kit. Get a simple rugged AA penlight for a few dollars, load it with lithium primaries, and fasten it to the outside of the emergency kit. Then in the kit get something like the Streamlight 4C Waypoint or the Rayovac 4C lantern and a couple of sets of quality C cells. Do Not Put the Cells in the Light. That way, if they do leak, they won't damage anything. Either light should be more than enough to meet your needs without costing a lot.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Rayovac 4C lantern. It reminds me of the six volt lantern battery lights that were the creme of the crop when I was a kid. It is a nice size, and the handle is nicely balanced for ease of carry. It has two brightness levels so if you don't need a light of light, you can save the batteries. Best of all, it only costs around $25.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight has their line of HazLo in many of their products. I have a couple of 3xAA and 4xAA and they are great. I also had their lights in C battery format, ProPolymer line. If you want to to go overkill there is the Tektite ABS Expedition XML 500 lumens for about $60. Only thing is it has a very tight beam, not much spill but good if you need to reach far.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Remember that since many different people will use this light under high stress conditions during an emergency, you will need a light with a simple, foolproof UI, possibly only a single level. You don't want a light that people can't figure out how to turn on, or use on a low level because they don't know if it has or how to switch to a higher level.

Last edited: