Help me find my ideal EDC light!

Prepped

Enlightened
So here's the scoop. I started off EDC'ing a Surefire E1L Outdoorsman with a K1X head on it about four years ago when I first joined the military. I loved it, and still do. I eventually lost it, and picked up an Olight M10 Maverick because of the UI. In my opinion it's almost the perfect EDC for me, albeit a few shortcomings. I usually leave it on the lowest mode, but I love that I am able to quickly able to access the highest output simply by half depressing the clicky twice in quick succession, and then access the strobe by doing it a third time. I like a light that comes in on low mode, because I don't want to blind myself unknowingly, something that a lot of these 'memory' mode lights these days would do (cough *TN12* cough cough). The only thing I feel the M10 is lacking, is a moonlight mode, and deeper pocket clip. It recently quit on me and is being returned to Olight for repair.

So here's what I'm after...

A respectable high output (250 + lumens)
Can run on a CR123
Instant access to low lumen mode
Preferably instant access to high lumen mode
Moonlight mode (1 lumen or less)
Preferably a clicky switch, although I would settle for a side switch if I had to.

What are my options?
Thank you for the help!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
MH20 is pretty much a replacement for E1L, shape wise.
Performance wise, MH20 kills it in output.
It uses a18650, rechargeable in our out of light.
Uses a solid side switch instead of rear, underhand use friendly.
Can access low or turbo from off quickly, memory mode can be over rode when desired to access them other modes.

Jmtc cheers

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what your budget is, but an HDS can meet your requirements, including perfect mode spacing and sequence for you. Pricey, for sure, but cheaper than all the lights that I shelved because... moonlight was too dim, low was too high... UI too slow.... requires 2 hands.....etc, etc.

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened
First, thank you for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate it.

I've grown very fond of my M10 because of my ability to control most of the functionality I need from the tailcap in a very quick and efficient manner. The beautiful thing about EDC items is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what works well for one person, another may not like or find useful. If the M10 had a moonlight mode, it would be perfect for me. I took a look at the MH20 and it's very impressive, given it's size, and the UI is quite good as well - A solid contender, but it lacks the rear clicky switch I so love. The HDS also looks like a solid contender. Another reason for my desire for a rear clicky is that I am in LE, and having the ability to carry the light in overhand is very important to me were I to utilize it in that role. To be honest, the M18 Striker by Olight would fit that role quite well, despite not having a moonlight mode which would be handy to read ID's and credentials a little easier, but I can live without it.

Update: My prayers have been answered. Just took a look on the Olight website and saw they recently released this...
http://olightworld.us/store/flashlight/m1x-striker.html

With the same ability to double tap / triple tap rear switch to access high/strobe respectively and I can leave it in moonlight mode.
Rejoice!

Last edited:

smoking stroker

Newly Enlightened
I too used to love the tail switch until i got a side swith light. The first one i got was the tx25 was and still is a awesome light only issue with that light for me was its hard to find the sode switch sometimes. I fot used to that though by how i position the light on my pocket.
Next i got the zebralight sc600 and i love it so much easier to find the switch and will never come on accidentally due to how far its recessed. Awesome reliability though 0 issues with the light.

Just recently got the mh20 havent had nuch time to carry/use it though its being sent outbto be modded at the moment

In my opinion the sc600 and the mh20 are the two best edc light right now. But thays for what I like you may like something completely different

Prepped

Enlightened
I'm tempted to pick one up to see if I can change my old ways...
I just also learned that M1X has strobe memory, like the M10 did. There were a few times I was in a shady area and preemptively put the light on strobe memory so that if I needed it, it'd be one tailcap switch away. I've heard nothing but good things about Zebralight. I'm going to have to pick one up just to see what all the rage is about.

smoking stroker

Newly Enlightened
Yea you wont be disappointed by zebralight. The sc6002L2 is the only model ive played with sure all the others are on the same level as fas as quality goes. Ill post up more about the mh10 when it comes back from being modded.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've grown very fond of my M10 because of my ability to control most of the functionality I need from the tailcap in a very quick and efficient manner. The beautiful thing about EDC items is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and what works well for one person, another may not like or find useful....

Another reason for my desire for a rear clicky is that I am in LE, and having the ability to carry the light in overhand is very important to me were I to utilize it in that role...

With the same ability to double tap / triple tap rear switch to access high/strobe respectively and I can leave it in moonlight mode...

I don't know the Olight UI, but it seems they have a mechanical momentary forward clicky that you reach various modes quickly from OFF depending upon single/double/triple half-presses before clicking on. However, once on, is the UI cumbersome/slow to change modes, esp. in a panic situation?

Pardon my ignorance as I am a practical (not tactical) user, but other than the flash-and-dash technique in a fire fight, I always thought having a lightening fast UI, momentary max specifically, from ON would be ideal for a LEO. In other words, just being mash a tail clicky for max, no matter what lower mode you were using at the time.

For example, let's say you were checking an ID on moonlight and the suspect made threatening moves? Or perhaps you want to shine a suspects face at a low output (ie, without causing him to shielding face/close eyes) to gauge level of intoxication, and he reaches for a weapon? Or perhaps you want to clear rooms in a white-walled home while maintaining your own night vision (to sense peripheral movement), but then need instant max upon spotting a potential perp, etc.

Just curious if such a UI would be beneficial in your line of work? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but most tactical UIs seem to be designed for the flash-and-dash firefight (momentary max from OFF), yet for that, they make a big UI sacrifice in what I would think would be real LEO scenarios.

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened
Looking forward to seeing it!

Also, I kind of differ in my preference from a majority of LEO. I'm a fan of the Olight UI, but I'm always open to new ideas and suggestions!

Prepped

Enlightened
I'm going to be breaking the bank, because I want all of these lights...
I appreciate all of the suggestions and input.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to be breaking the bank, because I want all of these lights...

Unfortunately, that's how it goes. There are so many wonderful choices and only so much room on a duty belt. If you work out of a day bag, you can get a few more samples into the back of the patrol vehicle. Now you have to worry about batteries and keeping them all charged. It doesn't stop. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Prepped

Enlightened
It's all part of the fun, though. Half the excitement is waiting for the light to arrive in the mail and ripping open the packaging.
Ever since that E1L I picked up after boot camp (My DI's told me to get a good one for infantry school and that was the first thing I saw on the shelf that looked decent - Glad I picked it up btw), I've been infatuated with finding the best light for the job. I'm that weird flashlight guy in the group, and nobody can understand why I have so many or get a kick out of what they can do. I think it's because they've never used one when their lives depended on it, or have seen how useful it can be when you need it out and about.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
....and nobody can understand why I have so many or get a kick out of what they can do.

I've been infatuated with with lights since I was about four years old. In my opinion, to be able to take away the dark, is a way cool thing to do. Do I understand? Maybe. :naughty:

Prepped

Enlightened
I'm still waiting to find my perfect EDC light, though. Maybe one day it'll hit me in the face, but until then the search continues. User interface is my biggest pet peeve right now. That, and a lack of moonlight mode, which most people take for granted. My desire for moonlight mode stems mostly from the need not to wake others and retain my night vision when performing tasks. I'm still in the Corps (reserves), and there's nothing a buddy hates more than when you wake them up with your flashlight after standing firewatch.

Prepped

Enlightened
I've heard bad things about the V11R, so I've strayed away from it. It's a shame because I liked the look of it.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard bad things about the V11R, so I've strayed away from it. It's a shame because I liked the look of it.

What bad things? Amelia over rates the problem with the control ring and grease.

I've carried either of my suggestions for almost two years and they've been fine.

In fact, for a smaller, CR123A/16340 lights, it's very flexible and bright.

Chris