Driver needed for running 4 Cree XHP 70's

videoman

Enlightened
I am building a light that will contain 4 XHP's (XHP 70) wired in series and powered by a 14.4 VDC li-ion 120 watt/hr brick type ENG battery. I am looking for a boost driver that must have dimming control via a pot (analog type). Anything out there ? I would need to run the leds at 80% their max current cap.

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
I know one wich probanly is capable of driving 3 or 4 Xhp50 in series, wich also has a PWM controll.
What you could do is ask him if there is a resistor you can change to boost output current to neerly 5A

The driver is from german PCBComponents. it`s a boost driver, up to 3A ( I use it in my 7xml dive torch )

https://pcb-components.de/led-aufwa...d-senser-xtreme-200-2050ma-6v-30v-detail.html
there is a PDF file also in english.

Task Led could also have something for you!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
taskled hyperboost, thou it has some limitations, at 6v per led, you will not be able to push 4A thru them, driver limited to 3,2A at output, if your leds are 12v than you only need 2A, and 48v, that will put input current at more than 6A as driver datasheet recomends.

Last edited:

videoman

Enlightened
The driver does not have to be small as it is not for a flashlight. The driver cavity volume within my enclosure is big enough for a 4" X 4 " X 2" ( 32 cu in volume.) I tried the Hyperboost in the past using the same 14.4 BRICK BATTERY and could not get more than about 75 watts going to the leds ( 6- XML-2's in series). I was expecting to run them at their full rated 3 amps but just couldn't reach that. The driver just somehow overheated and burnt out even though I had an internal fan. One of the IC's on the driver was toast and burnt. Also, I am not looking for PWM dimming. I need an old fashion rotary potentiometer to do the 0-100% dimming. My objective is to have a light that is battery driven (14.4 VDC) and outputs in the 10-15K lumens using the least amount of leds.

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
If space does not mather, I would use two of the Senser extreme from Pcb components. https://pcb-components.de/led-aufwa...d-senser-xtreme-200-2050ma-6v-30v-detail.html

I use this driver in my 7 xml2 torch, running at 3A of a 14.8v battery pack. Have had no problems at all!
It even has a termal protection, so it will never burn from its own heat. (will reduce output)
What I like on this driver over George`s Hyperboost is the current output is fixed by solder bridges

I would use two of them wired in paralel at 2.4-2.5A each, to get a total of 5A.!

I am not looking for PWM dimming. I need an old fashion rotary potentiometer to do the 0-100% dimming

About that, I forgot to link, Pcb components sells a separate board, its called "nanodim",wich is compatible with their boost driver (senser extreme), and this accepts rotary potentiometer. I link it below
https://pcb-components.de/led-dimmer-module/nano-dim-v2-mini-pwm-dimmer-3-5v-30v-12-53-detail.html

Cheers

PS: I can only recomend PcbComponents! Currently I have 2 of their drivers working in my dive torches and 2 more on my project board.