Minimalist EDC, decided on a Malkoff. CPF discount?

Balog

Newly Enlightened
==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Up to $100.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a selector ring.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

I'm looking for a rugged EDC light with a basic interface. Use will vary between general day to day "looking under the kid's bed" sort of tasks, and "lighting up the mountainside on a night hike" sort of things. I'm looking for a light that can accommodate that variety, at minimum one <100 lumen mode and one higher output mode. I'm looking for something in the range of narrow flood to wide spot, basically as wide a light area as I can get without totally sacrificing distance. Somewhere around a 6 inch overall length is preferred, can do slightly shorter or a couple inches longer. Looking for CR123 x2 as well as 18650 capability. Tailstands well is important. I'll be using it outdoors in western Washington so water resistance is important. I tend to use lights hard so durability is a big factor, although I realize that you get what you pay for so I'm not expecting multi-hundred dollar weaponlight levels of ruggedness. I'd like them but I realize I probably won't get them. ;)

The biggest factor for me is the interface. I hate hate hate hate hate strobes/beacons so if it has that available I want to bury it so deep I'll never accidentally activate it. I also really don't like having to "click through" multiple settings to get to the one I want every single time. I've found in the past that I tend to do things like double click, press and hold, soft press several times, or turn it off and on rapidly either absent mindedly or just as a condition of how I'm using the light. I've been frustrated in the past with lights where I'll accidentally toggle to a mode I don't want then have to fight with it to get it back. One of the infinitely variable ring style lights seems like a good option, but there are not as many options there and some have a strobe that seems like it's a slight over rotation away from popping on. I'm also not sure if that is regarded as having the same durability as a regular witch? I'm very open to something with 2-3 pre-defined modes as long as it's simple and intuitive to switch, and I don't have to cycle it repeatedly to get back to the same mode every time I use the light. I think some of the Solarforce lights are kind of like that, head tight for max and you loosen it for a lower mode, although their website is not clear on exactly how the other modes work.

I'm ok with buying used if need be to get a nicer light that is discontinued or out of my price range new. Also comfortable assembling one from pieces, but not any serious modifications or soldering etc.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Minimalist EDC, some odd preferences

Olight M23, M22, M21X, M20SX.
Some of these are on sale dirt cheap in dealer section.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Malkoff MD2 turnkey is $99. For another 20 you can get the one with hi/lo head.

Takes an 18650 or a pair of 123's. Tail stands and puts out the beam you seek for a good 300'.

On low it'll show you what's what under the kids bed and give hours and hours of around 30 lumen output. On high you get darkness punching spotlight-age with a fabulous amount of spill.

recDNA

Flashaholic

Sunwayman V25C seems to fit the bill.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimalist EDC, some odd preferences

Quark Click QK2L-X burst mode. Custom programmed for the modes and mode sequence you want. Memory mode, forward or reverse clicky. Won't fit 18650s but 2xCR123s and 2500mah 16650s (~2/3rds an 18650) work great in this smaller sized (0.86x4.5") light. Backed by a true US warranty and CS - if you have ever have a problem with this light, they'll swap you a new one in ~week.

The 16650 uniquely pairs well (due to charge voltage) with minimalist Klarus CH1 USB charger/powerbank, great EDC.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

ArmyTek Prime A1 non pro, it uses AA cells but you can also get 14500s to boost the output, it's very tough too, waterproof down to 10 metres, the non pro versions do not have strobe or beacon. If you are very insistent on getting CR123s and 18650s, look at the C1 and C2 range. Cheers.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone, lots of research to do.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone have thoughts on the various Jetbeam ring control lights? Or the Nitecore ring models?

Last edited:

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

If wanting something for the front pants pocket, the JETBeam RRT0SE is a nice place to start. Very nice. And you could look at the Nitecore SRT7 & SRT6 lights, those are sweet. They're a bit larger than the JETBeam RRT0SE but still sweet. In my opinion, the middle ground would be a MH20.

My favorite house light is the Nitecore EC4 but if you want an outside floody light, the companion EC4S is a very nice light. Not quite the throw of the EC4 but definitely a very nice smooth flood light for checking out the roof or backyard.

Just making two points clear. These lights have many settings including the flashy settings, the ones you hate but the good news, they're a secondary or hidden setting. Second, based on what you wrote, you'll need a second or third light to get you where you want to go. In it's own, each of the lights are beautiful lights but they have their good and bad points. To the best of my knowledge, there's no "one light does it all" so you'll have to pick-n-choose.

In the beginning, start with either the JETBeam RRT0SE or the Nitecore EC4 for daily duty purposes. For night-walks in the woods, a headlamp like a Nitecore HC30 and a back pocket light like the HC4S.

Myself? For night-walks, I use a Nitecore HC90 and a handheld EC4 or a Nitecore TM16 to light the edges of the pathway. The point, in my opinion, there's no single light that's going do everything you're asking for.

Last edited:

Balog

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, that's very helpful. With the ring lights that have blinky functions as part of their range of motion, is there a click or detent or some type of indication that you are going past the variable control phase? I wouldn't necessarily mind them being there as long as I knew I was about to go too far and select them.

Last edited:

Balog

Newly Enlightened

So this thread has me thinking about flashlights again, and it occurred to me that I still have a Surefire Z3 Combatlight from when I went to Iraq. Original incan and all. If I need a multiple flashlight solution, maybe a dropin or new head (and new clicky tail cap, any recommendations for that?) for the Z3 as the sort of big outdoors in the woods light and then a different light for EDC?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

To the best of my knowledge, they're called drop-ins and other than that and Malkoff, I pretty much know nothing about drop-ins. As you see, at this time and point, I'm a Nitecore fan. Welcome home and good luck.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

To the best of my knowledge, they're called drop-ins and other than that and Malkoff, I pretty much know nothing about drop-ins. As you see, at this time and point, I'm a Nitecore fan. Welcome home and good luck.

I watched selfbuilt's video review of the SRT7 (that guy is awesome) and I likie the positive detents on the ring control. I assume the SRT6 is the same way just without the extra color LEDs. I'm leaning towards that or the Jetbeam at the moment.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my opinion, one is better off with new lights rather than using drop-ins.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

....I'll be using it outdoors in western Washington so water resistance is important. I tend to use lights hard so durability is a big factor...

I don't have any experience with the NCs you're looking but I do have a V11R and followed the HDS rotary series too. Keep in mind that a variable ring is an additional "system" that can impact reliability/durability, and represents an additional moving part (with grease) that is subject to dirt and water ingress and requires additional maintenance. Magnetic rings also consume power, and often more than the LED itself at low outputs, which may impact your emergency runtime. Magnetic rings are a wonderful UI, but is there are some trade-offs.... just something to think about.

Balog

Newly Enlightened

In my opinion, one is better off with new lights rather than using drop-ins.

Looking at the price to get a new switch and drop in you may be right.

I don't have any experience with the NCs you're looking but I do have a V11R and followed the HDS rotary series too. Keep in mind that a variable ring is an additional "system" that can impact reliability/durability, and represents an additional moving part (with grease) that is subject to dirt and water ingress and requires additional maintenance. Magnetic rings also consume power, and often more than the LED itself at low outputs, which may impact your emergency runtime. Magnetic rings are a wonderful UI, but is there are some trade-offs.... just something to think about.

Interesting, have there been reliability issues reported with the ring interface?

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not from this end of the Web. Personally, I think they're wonderful to play with. Myself? I'm a bit partial.........to all flashlights. Pretty much, I love them all.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting, have there been reliability issues reported with the ring interface?

I've seen some, that's why I mention it (more an issue of water and grit ingress, than failure though). I'd say HDS has the most robust variable ring design (single point of potential entry, dual o-ring) yet it is currently being retooled for, among other things, more robustness - see post #4796 in the HDS thread. My V11R consumes more power on 0.001 lms than my good clickies do on 3 lumens, I wouldn't take it camping due to dirt, weather, and efficiency. Again, I haven't followed NC's offerings, so I can comment on those.