• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

LE Storage?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I use this nearly extinct contraption ...

LLtOtET.jpg

... since the new version doesn't work quite so well ...

TqSltlZ.jpg

:D

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
The film can on top...I went through hundreds and hundreds of thousands of them, and still have a few fuji ones left, what is the bottom item?

I think these are something that need protection.

Thanks for your help, and if I run across a bag of them in my archive store age in LA, I will give some of the out here for free, I may have kept some there when film collapsed.

Thanks, also while I have your attention, I am going to get a UV LE and a new Sun Drop head, and I want to keep the UV out until I want to use it and was going to get one of the new HIVE LE's - which do you like for a SunDrop? Or should I put the new XPG2 HIVE in my XPG R5 Haiku, and put that LE in the Sun Drop? I still like my older Haiku' color Temp. Anne thought of leaving it be.

dssguy1

Newly Enlightened
He was joking with the last picture. That is a SD or Compact Flash case. The things that killed film!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
:grin2: ... [emoji106]

By the way, I could definitely use some more of those film cans, if you find some to spare. Cheers !
Sure no problem, also the different boxes slides came back in were nice too. I have no problem sharing this stuff, let me look around, after the time lapse they could be pushed back somewhere.

Wish I saved more, I would leave 60 of these on arrivals at big events and another 50 in the press room for years. Never thought someday I would need or want them. Although even in the film days we still used a few them for small parts and things but, I did not need 10,000 of them in the studio, we always had a few, on hand as they were good secure storage.

If I had somehow saved everyone I ever had I could supply this form with these things for a century.

Before our time they were made of metal with a twist on cap. 35mm film was used for decades.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any other ideas...there has to be things that size which come in something to protect them, the pill storage is a good idea, too.

Something else is Nalgene bottles. I have used these for years, if you travel a lot, professional travelers know what these are, and there will never be a surprise mess upon arrival, and they make some small ones that I think would be perfect.

These would be the ones that snap closed not threaded. If you don't know about Nalgene bottles, you are in for a nice surprise, they are very high quality.

And not expensive either.

Other ideas welcome please, these are just something I just thought of.

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Footnote on Pill bottle storage: I write on a piece of paper that is taped to the inside of the pill bottle what drop in or LE it is. That way I don't mix them up or have to open each one. The pill bottles work well because I can see through them. The other thing I use for flashlight parts is the small & medium Gerber baby food containers. I keep all the fruit and veggie ones. They are so freaking handy.

I used to keep the bottles separated by voltages one group was 3 volt & under, the other was 3 to 6, then 6 plus. Now I just toss them in and fish around. I also keep old foam from shipping stuff and cut it in circles to fit. The pill bottles work great to stack Led boards and drivers too.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Footnote on Pill bottle storage: I write on a piece of paper that is taped to the inside of the pill bottle what drop in or LE it is. That way I don't mix them up or have to open each one. The pill bottles work well because I can see through them. The other thing I use for flashlight parts is the small & medium Gerber baby food containers. I keep all the fruit and veggie ones. They are so freaking handy.

I used to keep the bottles separated by voltages one group was 3 volt & under, the other was 3 to 6, then 6 plus. Now I just toss them in and fish around. I also keep old foam from shipping stuff and cut it in circles to fit. The pill bottles work great to stack Led boards and drivers too.
I remember having my old garage with the Gerber bottles attached under shelving with parts.

Pill bottles I think are a good idea the orange ones filter UV, not that we need that. I have a fear, a minor fear, and that some authorities will see a RX bottle and want to inspect it and take out the light engine and damage it, however you can get them in many colors! I have seen some nice green ones and clear which may avoid the LE being taken out.

Again these are minor fears, but you want to be the one to deal with your LE, not someone else and unintentionally do damage to it. It seems the more you ask officials of the state to be careful they get nervous. But, I don't think many of us travel with LEs, I travel a lot and take what ever lights and my flashlight service kit, and Oveready now has 2cc of Nyogel, perfect for travel.

A little OT but I to the pharmacy or chemist for our friends in the UK, and ask for the large pill bottles and make small first aid kits out of them, and put blue SAK classics in them and give them out. Just simple things, however nice when you need them and print a label with the date.

Keep these ideas coming, lots of good ones so far.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any other ideas for LE storage, I have my archives in Los Angeles, CA, and have not made it up there recently. However, if I have any of the old film canisters I will offer them up here, free, of course, to McGiz collectors/users, as we use our McGizmos - right!

In my later years of shooting film it was Fuji, and they had opaque ones, while Kodak had gray and a black cap. I am sure mine would be Fuji, as most of us switched to their ASA/ISO 800, wonderful film...then BANG! Digital! Overnight!

If find any I will keep a couple and offer the rest to the McGizmo users community. Give me a little time as unless I get a film era request, I don't go to my archival storage until I start working in my book but, I will at some point, and announce it here, these would be perfect for the storage and care of our McGiz, LE's.

Somehow, I remember a big bag of them, so I will advise. If I had known these would have been useful in the future, I would have saved more, as I have well over a million 35mm negatives. As for digital, my IT would have to figure the digital amount which would be in the tens of millions on our servers.

If anyone has a better idea, for storing our LE's when not in use, I would love to hear what you have to say and what you use.

Best wishes,

RL

As a PS... We, the journalists, would leave thousands of these containers on the red carpet and press room ground on, say, Oscar night, and many other events... Just an old film FYI. You could have gone the next day and collected thousands of these very nice canisters, how everything has changed...

Last edited:

Exeter354

Enlightened
I converted this antique French artist's box into McGizmo storage...it's logical, right? I'm sure this was the original intention of the maker of this box back in 1922:

IMG_7292_zpsgfms4fx1.jpg

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much. I also have a flat panel tv housed in a turn of the century armoire. I love the juxtaposition of old and new.
I agree. We live in a mid century modern home, and having a couple old pieces add to the design and break up the look which can go wrong fast, and it works with our lights, and equipment, too.

Last edited: