Vape device burst into flames mid-flight

ArmoredFiend

Newly Enlightened
When i first learnt that Vape will be utilizing 18650, i know it's only a matter of time before things like this would happen.

I mean, i have read of flashaholics who understands the danger of li-ion, uses multimeter and reputable chargers/cells and rely only on protected li-ion, yet accident still occurs.

So when Vape users that couldnt differentiate the difference between an Alkaline AA and li-ion 18650, apart from bigger size start using them..it's really inevitable something bad will happen.

It's a good thing the owner was awake when it happen mid-flight and only suffered burns on thighs. Happened in Malaysia.

Excerpt of news :
PETALING JAYA: The incident of a passenger's vape battery catching fire inside an aircraft has been blown out of proportion, said Malaysian Organisation of Vape Entity (MOVE) president Samsul Kamal Ariffin.

It could have been avoided if he had basic knowledge on how to handle the equipment, he said.

"We believe it was a case of ignorance," he said yesterday.

A passenger on Malindo Air, which was flying from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur on Saturday, suffered burns on the thighs and left hand when the e-cigarette battery inside a case placed on his lap suddenly burst into flames.

He was treated by a doctor who was also a passenger on board. The crew put out the fire and the aircraft landed safely that night.

Link to the news for further read : http://m.thestar.com.my/story.aspx?...ews&id={749643C7-5F3B-49D2-8669-CDF31955CF85}

markr6

Flashaholic
You can take an 18650 on board which could do some damage if someone had that intent (not in this case), but you can't take 4oz of Listerine for fresh breath :rolleyes:

akhyar

Enlightened
They even have society for vape users?
So what colour t-shirts are thmembers wearing for their gathering? LOL!
Not even sure if the society is even registered with the ROS.

Hopefully this stupid incident won't make the airlines to ask us to remove the li-ion battery from our torchlights before we board the plane