Review: Acebeam T20 thrower: XP-L HI, 1500 lumens, 1/2 x 18650, (beam)shots / compare

kj75

Enlightened
Recently, my first Acebeam came in, the XP-L HI-version of the T20. This was one of the 2015-releases I was really curious about. Also because it should be, according to the specs, my new thrower king. Let's see in this review how this thrower performs! I will compare the light to some other XP-L HI-competitors too.

the Acebeam T20, long distance flashlight
xledyp.jpg

powered by a XP-L High Intensity LED
k97w9z.jpg

big head, deep reflector
213m42v.jpg

ultimate searchlight
iw3loo.jpg

At first, I'll show you the (manufacturer) specs:

Features:

* Cree XP-L high intensity LEDs with lifespan 20yrs of runtimes
* Max 1500 lumens output (2x 18650)
* Working voltage 3v - 12v
* Max Runtime 1200hrs
* Max beam 1050 meters
* Peak beam intensity 275500cd
* Aircraft grade aluminum body structure
* Premium Type III hard anodized anti-abrasive finish
* Ultra-clear tempered glass lens with anti-reflective coating
* Momentary forward click tactical switch
* Strobe mode for tactical and emergency use
* Smooth reflector for max light output
* Highly focus beam for maximum distance
* Tactical knurling for firm grip
* Streamlined body design
* Electronic reversed polarity protected design
* Intelligent high efficient circuit for max performance and runtime
* Intelligent temperature controlled light output for safety
* Impact resistant 1.2meters
* Waterproof : IPX-8 Standard (2meters)
* Size 251mm(length) x 70mm(head diameter)*25.4mm(tube diameter)
* Weight 290g

And the output specs:

qz17cm.jpg

NOTE: above specs are with two 18650's; using one 18650 will reduce the runtime and output

Unboxing:

The T20 comes in a sturdy carton with a nice print on it in brown, orange and black color. It looks neat and well finished, also inside the carton (with protecting foam), but those kind of lights often come in a carrying case. I would like to see this in future, because it's easier to store the light and the light's parts. The T20 comes including all accessories that are needed, except cells. Please scroll down for some pictures of this package and the contents.

sturdy carton with nice print
2lj5ljc.jpg

protecting foam inside
535s9c.jpg

the contents: the T20, holster, lanyard, spare parts, warranty card, user manual and a leaflet
33xixd1.jpg

Impressions:

First impression: My first Acebeam and I really love it! The build quality and finishing are excellent, the light comes in a nice black color and the anodizing and engraving is well done. No flaws in the reflector or chips at the body and a perfect centered, clean led. The threads are machined and lubed well, and run smoothly. The T20 can't tailstand.
A rather long light, with a small tube. Therefore it fits comfortably in the hand, but it's (by using two 18650's) to long to carry in your pocket. Also Acebeam has solved this "problem": It is possible to use the light with only 18650. This will reduce size….and of course runtime. Powered by one cell it's a very nice compact thrower / searchlight that can be taken often with you. Otherwise you have to carry it in the holster. Please have a look at the pictures below that will give you more details and impressions…

nice thrower in beautiful black color
28rz8tz.jpg

ready for searching and law enforcement
alry4m.jpg

the small, but long tube
nqb4f4.jpg

clean, smooth reflector and well centered led
2v9oo5s.jpg

running on two 18650 cells
2vju8w6.jpg

the T20 in four parts
16birrb.jpg

the output is controlled by two side-buttons. Mind the nice engraving
10cjjva.jpg

the light has good grip
n3uyu.jpg

a close look at the tailswitch
wckbp1.jpg

well machined and lubed threads
xfdsv6.jpg

gold plated springs
b3kh3t.jpg

the impressive head unscrewed
2d7jakz.jpg

a look into the lights head
2i564j.jpg

every part is excellent finished
14mbcbl.jpg

deep cooling' fins, perfectly anodized
fcjk37.jpg

comes including well-fitting holster
2cgjxn4.jpg

the holster won't protect the whole light against damage
9ig590.jpg

the big reflector…
51plyp.jpg

no dust or defects, and a perfectly centered XP-L High Intensity led
1z73slz.jpg

a zoom-in to the knurling
2mxogx.jpg

and a close-up of the tail
2rxfkhx.jpg

the T20 can be powered by one 18650 too
358b1gm.jpg

this will make the T20 a handy, but huge thrower
17a5au.jpg

this size will fit better in your pocket
1z1v3x3.jpg

but the runtime and output will decrease
2e2i5o5.jpg

easier to wear it at your belt
2vkdyty.jpg

with added lanyard
28vvgvt.jpg

the High Intensity led
5podgj.jpg

that has a warm tint
2af0uo5.jpg

User interface:

I think most users will prefer the longer version because of the bigger output and runtime. But if you want a compact and handy thrower, that can be taken with you in your pocket, go for the short version. The short version is easy to handle with and has also impressive output.

The T20 is controlled by the tail clicky and two side-buttons. Use the tailclicky for on/off or for momentary-on. When on, cycle through the lights modes by using the round-shaped side button. The button is not that big and not illuminated, but rather easy to locate in the darkness.The triangle-button above the mode button has only one function: It will give strobe as long as you press the button. It should be better when this function could be locked: Self-defending while holding your thumb at the lights' button is not handy. This mode can only be activated when the light is on, the T20 has no instant modes from off.

Modes:

The T20 has five, well-spaced normal modes. The light starts in FIREFLY, after that you'll get LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO. Last used mode will be memorized. There's one special mode: STROBE. There are no instant-modes from off. I would like to see this in future, because a light like this needs a direct turbo mode or direct and constant strobe from off.

Size comparison:

I've compared the T20 to some lights in the same class, with almost the same length. All showed lights can, if needed, run on one 18650 cell too. Have a look at some comparison pictures showing the Acebeam T20, the Armytek Barracuda Pro LI and the Olight M3XS UT-Javelot.

18650 cell, Acebeam T20, Olight M3XS-UT and Armytek Barracuda Pro Limited Edition
52yquh.jpg

Acebeam T20, Olight M3XS-UT and Armytek Barracuda Pro Limited Edition
25p07qp.jpg

Acebeam T20, Olight M3XS-UT and Armytek Barracuda Pro Limited Edition
slo8ll.jpg

the heads: two XP-L HI's and one XP-L dedomed in the middle
2d9ea6x.jpg

the tails: Acebeam T20, Olight M3XS-UT and Armytek Barracuda Pro Limited Edition
2jg0wsg.jpg

Beamprofile:

This little led combined with the deep and smooth reflector will give the light a real "throwy" beam. A clear hotspot and almost no corona, but, thanks to the big head, a lot of spill. This clearly visible at my outdoor beamshots. The profiles' quality is very good: No rings or defects can be found in the beam.

Tint:

The tint of the T20 is not neutral, it's real warm. I've compared the T20 to some other lights driven by the same led. The Barracuda has a (ice) cold tint, the SR52UT's tint is coolwhite.

k1qnao.jpg

Beamshots:

Now, let's see how this thrower performs in real life. As usual, we start by projecting the light at a white wall. The distance to the wall is about 1,25 meter.

camera settings: ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
2nlxmyc.jpg

2hqb04x.jpg

157km06.jpg

2qk0xuq.jpg

2n72t6h.jpg

GIF-picture
2qc3szm.jpg

And now, going outside. At first, the five modes of the T20 shown here, and after that a comparison to some other throwers. I took the Barracuda Ultimate Edition and the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot with me, because they are in the same "distance-class". The Olight has the earlier XP-L dedomed led, this gave the led the typical greenish tint. I think it won't surprise the firefly-mode is hard to notice at the beamshots.

camera settings: ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4 sec, 35mm
2gsic2b.jpg

2zisn5w.jpg

4kyxjk.jpg

2a6m5a8.jpg

15exmid.jpg

animated picture
zwm9ew.jpg

Here's another picture that shows the throwy beam of the T20. Mind also the big spill!

i3s2mv.jpg

the T20 compared to the Ultimate Edition of the Armytek Barracuda Pro
f0cc3m.jpg

a shootout against the Olight M3XS-UT Javelot
2ihl44g.jpg

Conclusion:

This is my first Acebeam, but I can tell I'm really impressed. Actual, this is one of the best throwers you can buy. The built quality, finishing, anodizing are excellent. In the one-18650-version the light is easy to carry, but for heavy tasks, I recommend the longer version.
I like the well spaced modes, and especially the economical firefly mode. In emergency, you could use the light for weeks in this mode. I would like to see an instant and constant strobe in future. Personally, I like the warm tint, also because of the good color rendering, but I think other user will prefer a more neutral tint.
Overall I'm happy with this impressive, high quality thrower!

The Acebeam T20 provided for review

Special thanks to Cora for the support!

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, kj75!
Would pick the T20 over the Olight and Armytek hands down.
If only US dealers carried Acebeam...
Any chance you will be able to do runtime tests?

LessDark

Enlightened
Thank you kj75.

Could you say a little bit about how you like the T20 compared to the Barracuda?

kj75

Enlightened
Could you say a little bit about how you like the T20 compared to the Barracuda?

I would pick the T20 because of its much better throw, bigger spill and better UI.
Go for the Barracuda if you need a narrower beam and cooler tint. The Armytek is also IP68 rated.

How does it do 1500lm?

I didn't measure the output, I only used the specs given by Acebeam..and its a neutral version also..

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the fantastic review, acebeam has certainly come on in build quality. Must admit the beam looks pretty amazing on the T20, just the form factor is not for me.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review. As I posted in Acebeam's subforum, I only wish that they made a 26650 tube for this light. There is clearly enough room for that possibility. I want this light but I just don't like long skinny lights. I like the size, feel, and balance of 2x26650 lights, like my Eagletac SX25L2.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the great review. As I posted in Acebeam's subforum, I only wish that they made a 26650 tube for this light. There is clearly enough room for that possibility. I want this light but I just don't like long skinny lights. I like the size, feel, and balance of 2x26650 lights, like my Eagletac SX25L2.

Same here, just too long an skinny...strange form. But the 1x18650 is a nice option. But you're close to 50% output after 40 minutes or so. Better than nothing I guess.

BTW, 4000K is too warm for me

LessDark

Enlightened
Have you considered the T25 from Acebeam? it's 2x26650 and looks exactly like the T20 only that it uses a XHP50. Let vinh do his magic on it and it will throw quite well.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Nice review. I love mine. I am not much of a throw guy but I like to have a couple around. I purchased the Acebeam K60 a couple of months ago and was really impressed and thought it would be my lone thrower, but when I saw this one with the 4000k color temperature, I snapped it up. Love the tint.

There is one thing that bugs me(isn't there always). There is a slight delay from the time I push the tail switch until the time the light comes on. It is not noticeable when clicking it on. The LED lights up as you are releasing the switch(when clicking it on) and seems normal but when using the momentary action, it is very noticeable.

At first, I thought that I had a wonky switch but then realized there was this delay. I guess when I use my other forward clickies, I subconsciously push forward until I see light and then stop. With the delay, I found myself continuing to push until I reach a full click. I have to consciously think about its action to operate it correctly. I tried to do SOS and it was like trying to pat your belly and rub your head at the same time, kind of disconcerting.

Love the light though. I love a single mode forward clickie and have several. That's the way I will use it anyways. On a light like this, I see no reason for the lower modes. They are there if I need them though.

Last edited:

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, Andreas!
I'm surprised that it appears there's almost no difference between the T20 in its 1x18650 configuration and the ET M30LC2. The ET advertises only around 90k CD, while the T20, over 270k CD in its 2-cell configuration. Unless its output on 1 cell is only half that on 2 cells, which I believe is not the case, the T20 specs are very inflated, and the M30CL2's are conservative.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks, Andreas!
I'm surprised that it appears there's almost no difference between the T20 in its 1x18650 configuration and the ET M30LC2. The ET advertises only around 90k CD, while the T20, over 270k CD in its 2-cell configuration. Unless its output on 1 cell is only half that on 2 cells, which I believe is not the case, the T20 specs are very inflated, and the M30CL2's are conservative.

M30LC2...awesome light on just one 18650. I'm regretting selling mine a little, but it just didn't get used.

Extremely useful shots BTW!

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me how yellow the beam is in actual use? Is it comparable to an Armytek wizard(warm)?