Hi, which one shall I choose?

PoachedEgg

Newly Enlightened
Hi this is my first post, Ive been lurking here now and again and I would be delighted if you guys could help.

At the moment im using a thrunite Ti3 (WHICH I LOVE) for my EDC and I have an old 2008/2009 led lenser police tech which is my main home torch.

I really like the led lenser its a solid as a rock and does the job great and has lasted a long time, the only problem with it is that the light will not stay at its max lumens and will decrease lumens along with the battery life.

I was really set on getting a thrunite tn12 2016 model it seems to fit all my needs and i can get it for £48 with a charger and battery, However after reading some threads on here about it potentially over heating after 10 mins of use and no auto dimming or power regulation on turbo im having 2nd thoughts.

The alternative is the Fenix PD35 TAC 2015 edition which seems to have auto dimming and better power management, over all better build quality and quality control then the tn12. However the fenix pd35 tac will auto dim after 5 mins on the highest setting to prevent damage, so the fenix will still get damage like the thrnite but the only difference is the fenix will go to a lower setting after 5min, but if the user was to go back on to turbo mode on the fenix wouldn't they be able to damage the torch anyway? the same way a user could damage the thrunite by keeping the turbo setting on for to long?

The fenix pd35 tac is also quite a bit more, amazon dont seem to have and everywhere else seem to stock at £59.99 apart from some Chinese site called gearbest.com which are selling it for £46 but im apprehensive getting from them because the Chinese are know to fake torches right?

Anyeay any advice i thank you for, I would be welcome to hear of any her brand torches that fit this criteria.

cheers guys.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Im in UK so £50-70, would be better if it came with a battery and charger

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I don't care - i would like the cheapest version

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want an all round, main torch, for use when theres powercuts, possible intruders, walking the dog and attaching to my bike posible
____SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

I would like both really, somthing that will work with the requirements I have, A good all rounder that has a decent beam and can light up a room or surrounding area

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

it will be my main torch, so it will have to bee good in close quarters as well as longer distances when out walking the odg or bike riding

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
i want it to last as long as posible so the longer the better

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

i like the fenix pd35 tactical's design, with the ability to go into stobe using the back buton, Overall i prefer the back clicky button option ,

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

a strobe function would be handy incase of home intruders, and at least 3 different power modes are needed, to suit each situation

14)Material/Finish/Coatin
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)

_
15) Water resistance
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
____In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)

it wil be in house most of the time but could be in colder condition and i want a torch that can stand up to almost anyhting

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much, just saying, almost all of the retail lights are Chinese. With that in mind, Nitecore EC4. Checkout the price on the British site. If wanting smaller, consider the Nitecore MH20.

Welcome to CPF.

.....:welcome:

Last edited:

PoachedEgg

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much, just saying, almost all of the retail lights are Chinese. With that in mind, Nitecore EC4. Checkout the price on the British site. If wanting smaller, consider the Nitecore MH20.

Welcome to CPF.

.....:welcome:

Cheers for replying, They do you look nice torches, but I should of mentioned that because Im in the UK I need a website that can dleiver to you and has UK plugs etc, http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/nitecore-mh-series/nitecore-mh20-led-torch.html here I have found a site that does the torches you recommend how ever they are £63-70 without any battrieries or charger, quite a step up compared to the thrunite which is £48 with a battery and a charger.

If theres anyone from UK or europe who could share a decent site with good prices, I would appreciate it.

I found this chinese site which does the Fenix PD35 2015 tac model for the a very good price of £46

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_203303.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CMHbvMry6sgCFSMIwwodLjUGFA

and the site seems to be legit according to google reviews here:

https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/p...d=0CIgBEM1KMABqFQoTCOaMjcfy6sgCFQM6FAodEtII5A

Has anyone ordered flashlights from gearbest? there a Chinese online warehouse retailer and fenix is made in china which is probably why they can get a cheap price?

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there , the pd35 is a popular choice and for good reason . At £13 more in uk that's what I would go for as you would be waiting 3+ weeks from GB. Not to mention if any issue its easier to resolve if local and the difference saved can soon be lost. The tn12 also is a popular light with a lower low than the pd35(if that's important).

Reg run run times in turbo, well that mode really is for short bursts rather than prolonged uses. Most lights will step down due to size/mass of a single 18650 light and 1000lm output . The 400ish lm mode of the fenix is plenty bright enough for most tasks and some. Also when using turbo it should never be left unattended so in hand it will get quite toasty. Even before step down(never should be relied on anyway) if getting too warm then requires dialling down a mode or 2 . The tn12 may run for 10+ mins , but if it's getting warm at 4mins as an example(will vary depending on ambient temps etc) then would require knocking down a mode/s.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either, but bare in mind a couple of decent cells will be around £12 and similar again for a charger (Xtar /nitecore) . So allow that into your budget and avoid any lights with *****fire chargers and cells as part of a package.

Good luck with your choice:)

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is something I posted the other day. Might apply in your circumstance.

Before you spend too much, take some time to read up on neutral tint and high CRI (color rendering index). Tint is measured in degrees Kelvin, and is sometimes called CCT (correlated color temperature) in the flashlight world.

[Balance of message follows, without italics]

Most LED flashlights have a "cool white" tint. Their beams have a slight blue tint, like some of the blue headlights you see your rearview mirror. Early LED flashlights were cool white. Even though it is now possible to make flashlights that have a neutral-white beam, the biggest seller by far among buyers in the general public is still cool white.

Among flashaholics, the story is different. There are no scientific polls that I know of, but we do have the example of the recent custom flashlights made by BudgetLightForum. They were designed by, and sold to, the members of BudgetLightForum. Those folks are serious flashlight addicts. The flashlights were offered in cool white, neutral white, and warm white.

By far, these flashlight experts preferred neutral white and warm white over cool white. Of the 1000 buyers in the first run of the BLF A6 Special Edition flashlight, fully half bought neutral white (including me). Another sixth chose warm white. Only one third selected cool white.

The numbers are even more lopsided in ongoing signups for the BLF X6 Special Edition, version 2. So far, 268 have selected neutral white; 48, cool white; 26, warm white; and 14, undecided. By a ratio of five-to-one, neutral white is the most popular.

In the USA, one of the larger flashlight dealers is Going Gear. Owner Marshall Hoots is a well-respected member of CPF. Some posts at CPF report that Marshall is on record acknowledging that the overwhelming majority of the flashlights he sells are cool white. I guess he should know. But note, for the most part, his customers are not flashaholics. They are members of the general public. Marshall, on the other hand, is an expert. What tint did he choose for his EDC? Neutral white. Here is a snippet from a YouTube video where you can hear him say so himself.

The Fenix flashlights mentioned in this thread are all cool white. That is not surprising. Fenix targets the same general public that Going Gear does.

There is no right or wrong in tint preference. You have to try them all, and see which ones you like. You may discover that you are one of the flashlight experts who likes cool white. But you should take a look at the alternatives before you spend your whole budget.

Here are a few other tips I hope you will find useful.

Don't buy everything at once. Buy a light, and then take some time to plan your next purchase.

Buy lights that fill different needs. Don't buy too many lights that are basically the same. Small pocket light for EDC. Keychain light as a main or backup EDC. General purpose light for household tasks and walks. Lantern for power outages and camping. Emergency light for your car. Nightstand light capable of sub-lumen levels so you don't ruin your night-adapted vision during middle-of-the-night visits to the kitchen or bathroom. And so on.

Get a headlamp. Zebralight makes some of the best. It's handheld lights are equally popular among flashaholics.

One thing most buyers do not need is a specialized thrower. Those are, however, some of the most interesting flashlights. Although they are hard to resist, the truth is that most of us have little use for one. If you are the exception, you should already know that. Search and rescue, LEO, security personnel, boaters, ranchers, etc., are just a few of the folks who might decide they need a dedicated thrower.

A "mule" is a flashlight with neither reflector nor focusing optic. Mules produce wide, unfocused beams that do not have a hot spot. They are great for closeup work and many indoor tasks. Do you need one?

Lithium primary batteries are good for emergency lights that do not get used very much. They can be stored for very long periods, up to 20 years even. They survive extremes of temperature better than other batteries. Thus, they are perfect for a flashlight or headlamp you leave in a vehicle.

At CPF, Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries are widely regarded as the best AA and AAA lithium primary batteries. For CR123A lithium primaries, buy any of the made-in-USA CR123A batteries. I read in a post at CPF that all CR123A batteries made in the USA come from the same Panasonic factory. Energizer, Duracell, Panasonic, Surefire, etc., they are all the same. CPF member and flashlight reviewer selfbuilt cautions against using CR123A batteries made elsewhere.

For rechargeable AA and AAA batteries, buy Eneloop brand. Get a charger that received a positive review by CPF member HKJ. A bad charger can damage your batteries.

Do your homework on Li-ion rechargeable batteries. They are used every day in mobile phones and laptop computers by hundreds of millions of people. They are, in general, very safe. Rarely, however, and usually only after they have been abused, they vent with smoke and flames. I am sure you have read about some of these incidents. In a sealed flashlight, these venting episodes are dangerous because they can result in a rupture that sends the tail cap and head flying off at high velocity. Learn how to care properly for your Li-ion batteries.

Do not buy the cheapest Li-ion batteries you can find from random sellers on Ebay and Amazon. Buy from a seller you trust. In the EU, I have read that NKON.nl is such a seller. That is only hearsay to me, however, because I have never done business with it. Get a quality charger for Li-ion. As above, check the reviews. A bad charger can cause your Li-ion batteries to catch fire. In my opinion, you should not use xxxx-Fire batteries or chargers.

Flashlights are exciting and useful tools. Once you get started in the hobby, it's hard to stop. I hope we'll be hearing more from you.

:welcome:

RickZ

Newly Enlightened
There is a right and wrong. For air penetration, less light is scattered the closer to inferred you get meaning more throw. But cooler light results in higher efficiency.

So balance throw, efficiency, and whatever you prefer.

Other thing is some flashlights decrease in lumens slower than others, but only modulated will maintain the same, but at a terrible price, and also have less runtime value unless they have a modulation cut off in which case the light will continue to burn after batteries get too low to hold modulation.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are long past the time when you had to select cool-white in order to get high output in a general-purpose flashlight.

For any lumen requirement you may have, up to 3000 lumens and more, I can find a high-quality, mid-priced, neutral-white flashlight that meets the need. The only exception is dedicated throwers.

I say choose the tint you like, and then find a flashlight that gives you the output levels you want. Works for me, anyway.

Last edited:

PoachedEgg

Newly Enlightened

ven

Flashaholic
Just bare in mind those light will perform poorly on alki cells, recommend AA eneloops/pro's to get the best out of the lights.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
Ta for the responses guys.

I think im gonna go with a AA torch because I have a load of AA's and dont want to fath about with rechargeables.

I think this might be the one

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-tn4a-cool-white/#ProductReviews

However with it being a thrower I'am bit concerned it wont give enough flood for household indoor use?

maybe this would be a better option?

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-archer-2a-v2-cw/

I actually have the Thrunite TN4A Neutral White. It's an excellent light that has a wider spill than other pop can style throwers. Indoors, you can always use the "ceiling bounce" method or use some sort of diffuser. It is a bit smaller than a pop can, but its thickness may make it hard to solidly attach to your bike. On the flip side, it has a wide spread of useful modes and can throw light to look at distant trees and whatnot. I find its moonlight mode enough to get around indoors in the dark as well. You would have to invest in some Eneloops or lithium primaries though to get the most out of the light (though it isn't terrible if you avoid turbo, but there are MANY other reasons to swap to quality NiMH). Lithium primaries hold their charge for a long time, so if you stockpile some they will be ready for emergencies, and you can use Eneloops for daily use. A good smart charger can be had for a decent price, and it is well worth it. There are Eneloop packs that come with a Panasonic charger for a reasonable price.
I digress. I really do like my TN4A, and it is a great light. The primary drawback here is the size, especially if you want to mount it to your bike. The Archer is much slimmer, but doesn't get nearly as bright.

PoachedEgg

Newly Enlightened
I think I am going to go with this now

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014GXLA9Q/

its ticks all the boxes, and even though the battery it comes with might not be the best, I have only seen positive praise on the tn12. I have also not heard of any battery's exploding off tailcaps etc.

If there are any problems it has a 2 year warranty and buying through Amazon is safe for me