What battery chemistry for current (2014-2015) Eagletac D25C?

sander_g

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I'm contemplating a purchase of Eagletac D25C and I'm rather at loss regarding kind of what secondary batteries I would be better off using in them. Please forgive my neophyte questions :), this will be my first Li-Ion light.

1. Is there any reason to run IFR in this light as they are closest to 3.0V or the current version of the driver works fine with ICR/IMR?
  2. Is there any advantage to running IMR in this light or I should stick to ICR for larger capacities? If you run IMRs in this light how do you avoid overdischarging them (I don't see any info regarding buit-in overdischange protection in this light).
  3. Will I lose some modes with ICRs with current driver and if so what modes (in lumens) will I realistically get?
  4. What 16340s are you using with this light and are happy with?

Thanks!

…or maybe I should scratch this idea and run D25C on primaries? ;-)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run red AW IMR 16340s in my ET 2014 D25C Ti. clicky and Sunwayman V11R.

They can handle the higher currents found in both lights. For my lesser lights--my Shiningbeam I-Mini and SWM M11R, I run some older black AW protected ICR 16340s.

AW seems to have the best lifespan in the smaller 16340s and I'll be sticking with them vs. brands like Kinoko and Soshine.

Those didn't last all that long IME.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D25C Ti. clicky is a screamer on IMRs. You don't lose any modes. It even direct drives apparently, but I get a bright 'high' in both groups, I get a low 'moonlight' and 'low' and even 'medium' on my AW IMRs. Nothing is lost and it's a lot brighter than using CR123As.

I can't really tell a difference between 'high' in 'high/strobe' group and the 'high' in the 'low/medium/high' group.

The light seems to run hotter in the 'high/strobe' group, but I can't really distinguish a brightness difference.

I EDC the V11R and the D25C Ti. clicky almost exclusively. They're both great little lipstick lights if that's what you're into?

As far as capacity between the ICR and IMR 16340s, it's probably measured in a few minutes, so pick the one that handles the 2A+ current of your light, on high and carry a spare if you're going to be using it for more than 20 minutes on high.

For my daily needs, I've not run out of juice and then there's always medium.

Chris

sander_g

Newly Enlightened
I EDC the V11R and the D25C Ti. clicky almost exclusively. They're both great little lipstick lights if that's what you're into?

Yes, exactly! I currently EDC Fenix LD01 and prefer the slim form-factor of AAA and AA lights. But the D25C clicky is very close and scrathes my itches for clicky-button and more firepower.

As far as capacity between the ICR and IMR 16340s, it's probably measured in a few minutes, so pick the one that handles the 2A+ current of your light, on high and carry a spare if you're going to be using it for more than 20 minutes on high.

For my daily needs, I've not run out of juice and then there's always medium.
Chris

Thank you for sharing your experiences, that's very helpful! I have some more question though.

How abrupt is the dimming when the battery runs out of juice in D25C? If do run an unprotected battery to this point – will I inflict some damage to it? I will always carry a spare (primary CR123A or rechargeable), so being without a usable light is not an issue.

Thanks!

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, exactly! I currently EDC Fenix LD01 and prefer the slim form-factor of AAA and AA lights. But the D25C clicky is very close and scrathes my itches for clicky-button and more firepower.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, that's very helpful! I have some more question though.

How abrupt is the dimming when the battery runs out of juice in D25C? If do run an unprotected battery to this point – will I inflict some damage to it? I will always carry a spare (primary CR123A or rechargeable), so being without a usable light is not an issue.

Thanks!

If you're running it on the H/M/L group, you'll get a step down from H>M and M>L, so you know. When you're blasting it on the H/S group, you'll notice it dimming. For my first two AW IMRs, I'd just sit out on the patio smoking a cigar and blast away at the ceiling, so I'd notice it. As those cells are now over 3 years old, I notice the step downs and dimming more often.

There is no low voltage cutoff, so if you were to leave the light on low, it will drain the cell and I've done that in the past. With unprotected 'anything' you need to be mindful and charge back up if you drop below that 3v level, in short order. Most cells have discharge points of 2.5v, or 2.75v, so you don't want to go below those, if you can help it.

Lipstick lights and li-ions aren't for the person who needs a dozen, or even a couple hours out of their lights at a stretch.

I carry those combos because I carry a gun, SAK, pack of gum, flip phone, keys and wallet and I need a light that is fairly bright and unobtrusive and those are what these lights give me.

Chris