Is it OK to leave my zebra light H600w MKii on all night on 3.7Lm mode

a2K

Newly Enlightened
I know this seems like a ridiculous question. But I did exactly this (2 nights in a row - on my nightstand) and I swear when I woke up the color seemed a bit different. I'm worried I'm burning it up or something.

Bonus points - is it OK to do this with the lense pointed down, twords the nightstand, to minimize ambient light while sleeping?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Max

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat at 3.7lm is inconsequential.
Difference in color you perceive might have to do with time of day and presence/absence of ambient light.
Also, your vision needs some time to adjust after you awake.

3.7 lm output and whatever heat is produced are so low, you can wrap it in a blanket and there should be no problems, so leaving it face down should not be a problem.

Last edited:

a2K

Newly Enlightened
Heat at 3.7lm is inconsequential.

Difference in color you perceive might have to do with time of day and presence/absence of ambient light.

This is exactly what I suspected, I just needed to hear it from someone else, out of paranoia.

My perception brings it very very warm like pee yellow almost with a greenish undertone, and we all know what green LEDs mean!

Thanks for your time!

Max

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Max,

I think a tint shift is also quite common at the lower modes, with particular emitters. Your perception of color also changes (is reduced) in lower light conditions as well. So lots of contributing factors resulting in the differences you observed.

Enjoy your light. :)

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Surefire E1L on low was green, on high was white.
I would not worry about 3 lumens. Virtually no heat produced at that level.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your headlamp has some great low modes. I would use one them rather than facing the light head-down.

Here are the numbers for the ZebraLight H600w Mk. II L2. I realize you may not own the L2, but these should be close.

Low:
L1 3.5 Lm (16 days) or
L2 0.4 Lm (2.5 months) / 0.06 Lm (4.6 months) / 0.01 Lm (5.5 months)

Last edited:

a2K

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input, and the welcome guys! I'm glad I don't need to worry.

By the way, I read the L1 lumens, instead of the highest L2 setting for my zebra light... It is actually .4 Lm I leave my light on.

I think I will keep doing that, its nice and easy to find that way. But i will still face it down I think, unless THAT seems like a bad idea. I doubt it could be though, when you feel how the body diasapates heat on H1 I think it should be effective enough heat sinking.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something bugs me about turning on a flashlight, and standing it on its head on a piece of furniture that has a finish that could be damaged. I don't know what the risks are, but I cannot convince myself they are zero. If all you are worried about is damage from heat, then the sub-lumen levels you are talking about will probably produce negligible amounts of heat. I am less certain about damage from light.

Albert Einstein was finally awarded a Nobel prize in 1921. To us, it is still somewhat surprising that he did not win for his discovery of the theory of relativity. Neither the special nor the general theory was ever honored with a Nobel prize. Instead, the Nobel Committee selected Einstein's work in explaining the photoelectric effect. That theory overturned the wave theory of light in favor of the photon-particle theory now current in quantum mechanics.

A central result of the photoelectric effect is that the frequency (or energy) of an individual photon determines whether it is capable of interacting with molecular matter. If a given photon does not have sufficient energy, then no interaction occurs. Adding more photons won't help. Each photon must interact individually, so if one low-energy photon fails to interact, then a million similar low-energy photons will all fail to interact. More photons means more lumens. It does not mean more energy per photon.

Can the finish on wood furniture be discolored by light from a flashlight? Are the photons of visible light energetic enough to alter the chemistry of the finish? If so, then fewer lumens simply means it will take longer for that discoloration to occur. "Longer," of course, could be a very long time.

I suppose you could run an experiment, but short of that, I would probably just put my light on a stand.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something bugs me about turning on a flashlight, and standing it on its head on a piece of furniture that has a finish that could be damaged. I don't know what the risks are, but I cannot convince myself they are zero. If all you are worried about is damage from heat, then the sub-lumen levels you are talking about will probably produce negligible amounts of heat. I am less certain about damage from light.

Albert Einstein was finally awarded a Nobel prize in 1921. To us, it is still somewhat surprising that he did not win for his discovery of the theory of relativity. Neither the special nor the general theory was ever honored with a Nobel prize. Instead, the Nobel Committee selected Einstein's work in explaining the photoelectric effect. That theory overturned the wave theory of light in favor of the photon-particle theory now current in quantum mechanics.

A central result of the photoelectric effect is that the frequency (or energy) of an individual photon determines whether it is capable of interacting with molecular matter. If a given photon does not have sufficient energy, then no interaction occurs. Adding more photons won't help. Each photon must interact individually, so if one low-energy photon fails to interact, then a million similar low-energy photons will all fail to interact. More photons means more lumens. It does not mean more energy per photon.

Can the finish on wood furniture be discolored by light from a flashlight? Are the photons of visible light energetic enough to alter the chemistry of the finish? If so, then fewer lumens simply means it will take longer for that discoloration to occur. "Longer," of course, could be a very long time.

I suppose you could run an experiment, but short of that, I would probably just put my light on a stand.
Just last year was the 100th anniversary of the 'Theory of General Relativity'. :thumbsup:

Latest posts