Trax Useful Fog Lights

Sadden

Enlightened
Alrighty, so I upgraded my wifes trax with 9011 highs and Phillips Xtremevision +100% H11 lows. the stock fogs are pretty well decorative only although they take an H11 as well (stock, presumably Phillips H11LL)

So i am looking to do something with the foglights. They will serve two purposes.

A) Foglight Duty Obviously

B) Foreground and width Lighting. This may raise some eyebrows here.

We live in northern AB Canada. My wife knows well enough not to use foglights at highway speeds. But her lows have extremely low almost nonexistent levels of foreground light and width. Which makes them great at highway speeds but in poorly lit urban areas it can be hard to place yourself in corners, especially with the brown sloppy roads that we have. It hides the lines and curbs. My wife has already curbed both passenger side tires taking right hand turns.

As foglights are supposed to illuminate close and wide i think that putting a quality foglight in place of the decorative foglight will give her something to use in town and inclement weather.

So am looking for everyones thoughts on a quality replacement. The hella micro DE foglight seems to come up again and again. But what about the 120mm or 90mm units?

I do have some requirements
-No LED sorry but im not a fan of the high Kelvin LEDs flooding the market, even in quality lamps, and LEDs dont deal well with the snow and slush we have
-5.5" diameter/width max. Would like to keep them in the oem position to get the maximum width and leave room up front for additional driving lights in the future.

So any quality suggestions besides the hella units? Of the three mentioned hella units which ones would work best for us?

I would really like to try something like these but these are the only quality ones I know of, and they are LED so are a nonstarter up here.
http://www.rallylights.com/hella-90mm-l4060-led-fog-lamp-module-with-cornering-light.html

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
But her lows have extremely low almost nonexistent levels of foreground light and width. Which makes them great at highway speeds but in poorly lit rural areas it can be hard to place yourself in corners, especially with the brown sloppy roads that we have. It hides the lines and curbs. My wife has already curbed both passenger side tires taking right hand turns.
I'm going to say that real cornering lights would be better than trying to use the fog lamps that way-- and eliminates dealing with forgetting to deactivate the fog lamps.

Sadden

Enlightened
I'm going to say that real cornering lights would be better than trying to use the fog lamps that way-- and eliminates dealing with forgetting to deactivate the fog lamps.

Thats the thing though, they need to be left on at town speeds (less than 50km/h). Even when not cornering it can be hard to place yourself in your lane, with the lines covered and the road a big brown sloppy mess you cant see your lane, or where the curbs are. We also have patchy streetlighting, compounding the problem as your eyes are constantly in and out of light, never giving them time to adjust properly.

fastgun

Enlightened
Osram makes a LEDriving Fog. Dot and ECE and to quote Osram: "An innovative all-rounder: fog light, daytime running light and cornering assist".

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
the stock fogs are pretty well decorative only although they take an H11 as well (stock, presumably Phillips H11LL)

Upgrade them if you really want with another set of these...which will last for years and years, because the fog lamps should almost never be turned on.

We live in northern AB Canada. My wife knows well enough not to use foglights at highway speeds.

Good.

So am looking for everyones thoughts on a quality replacement.

If the H11XV bulbs don't improve them enough to suit you, then put in these.