Is it just me, or is nobody making anything worth buying anymore?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to start looking around for an 18650 pocket light. Nothing too fancy. Only wanted a few "have to haves".

1. Moon light mode.
2. High cri
3. Deep pocket clip
4. Tail standing.

Nothing.

And after looking around at the usual makers, the product lines are horrible. Literally nothing interests me.

I'm trolling the For Sale section for something from a few years ago that I might actually want.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately that might just be you. I keep wanting to not find stuff but things keep popping up.
I decided to start looking around for an 18650 pocket light. Nothing too fancy. Only wanted a few "have to haves".

1. Moon light mode.
2. High cri
3. Deep pocket clip
4. Tail standing.

Nothing.

And after looking around at the usual makers, the product lines are horrible. Literally nothing interests me.

I'm trolling the For Sale section for something from a few years ago that I might actually want.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you mean by high CRI? Is that 80+ or 90+ you're looking for? Are you looking for a compact 18650 light or medium sized one? I can think of a few options out there like the Zebralight SC63 with 80+ CRI, the Convoy S2 lights with Nichia 219 emitters. It's possible ZL may produce a 90+ CRI light also although that would be later this year and they have confirmed a 93-95 CRI light with 5k tint using XHP50 emitter.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
......... Literally nothing interests me.......
Probably a little truth in what you're saying for me too and I guess that could be a good thing. I'm finding that I'm personally getting too picky. 75% of all the lights I have ever bought have been sold. After being in the hobby for over 10 years, I pretty much know what I want and like..............because I've seen the good and bad...............or I should say that which appeals to me and that which doesn't, I don't have to buy it out of curiosity sake anymore.

One of the problems I encounter are specs that when tested don't match what they said. For example, I really want to like the Nitecore MH20, but going from low to the next step up is like double the output of what they state in the manual. There are many other examples of misrepresented lumens either too high or too low. Then there are the tint issues. And one of the most important for me is the art of an efficient driver. So I have to say that not all LED lights are created equal. And that is one of the reasons its a hobby I suppose.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Although I still have a whole list of vintage torches that I want, there is virtually nothing new of interest to me right now.

Last "new" (current, modern) light that I got was actually the MecArmy SGN3. Reasonably pleased with that, although there would be a few things I'd change, if I could.

After experiencing literally hundreds of different types of flashlights, I too am really selective and demanding about what I want in these lighting tools ....

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I'm quite pleased with my moderately priced lights (from Fenix & Olight)... Although I've only been into flashlights for maybe 5 years or so - so perhaps I'm not coming from the same place as you...

I've got (2) Maratec AAA Rev3's on the way and I'm waiting to see if Fenix will release an updated version of the LD12...

The Olight S2 is my compact 18650 light which I like a lot... However it doesn't have a high CRI and the pocket clip is below average (I'm using a 3rd party pocket clip on mine instead).... It's got Moonlight mode and can tailstand though....

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other than the newer knurled Fury I picked up second hand recently, all my recent purchases and wants have been for lights released 3-5 years ago. I just recently re-acquired a Surefire G2X and 6PX.
So I'm in the same boat as you. Nothing interests me.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eagletach D25LC2 nichia is pretty close to what you are looking for.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the problems I encounter are specs that when tested don't match what they said. For example, I really want to like the Nitecore MH20, but going from low to the next step up is like double the output of what they state in the manual. There are many other examples of misrepresented lumens either too high or too low.

Should 100% agree regarding the MH20. Already have been blinded at least twice when in total darkness instead of switching off jumped to the second level from ML. Had an "honor" to observe a halo, burned out in a retina, for a minute later :)

guitarhero

Newly Enlightened

1. Moon light mode.
2. High cri
3. Deep pocket clip
4. Tail standing.

Nothing.

Zebralight SC62d

I have the standard Neutral White version and it was the last flashlight i bought since 2 years. Yet to find a better Light.
Maybe also the HDS EDC. It is semi custom and available with High CRI. Have not handled one though.

Regards from Germany
guitarhero

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would echo the Zebralight. I don't own the SC62d but the SC62w and SC63w. Both are more neutral than high CRI, but I DO have a Zebralight headlamp in the 'd' category - can't remember which one, but it is high CRI. The clip isn't necessarily deep pocket, but its bezel down with the clip far to the tail, so maybe you could call it bezel down. As for moonlight and tail standing, both are home runs on the Zebralights. Don't know where you are in 'Bama, but if you are ever around T-Town give a shout and I can show these lights to you.

D6859

Enlightened

1. Moon light mode.
2. High cri
3. Deep pocket clip
4. Tail standing.

If you accept these "multi-flashlights" Armytek Wizard Pro (warm CRI90) seems to match your criteria.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking at the Zebralight sc62c. I used to have one but I've not been impressed with the overall reliability and construction with Zebralight, considering their cost. They're not bad compared to the current competition, but they aren't great either. It's discontinued but they can still be had. I've also looked at the Eagletac D25c, but it's a bit cooler than I like. I would probably be very happy with an HDS high cri with the the 4000k nichia 219b, but dang, I'm just not going to spend that much money on a light at this point in my hobby.

All of these newer lights just seem to be all bells and whistles and lacking in real, solid, simple, engineering. Everythint's side switches and seeing how many lumens they can put on the box regardless of whether they can only run for 2 minutes before getting back to a reasonable level. The really frustrating part is that because they are chasing lumens they are sticking the biggest emitters they can find into them and making almost impossible to find a newer light that can even be modified for a useable high cri emitter. Even 4sevens stopped making the traditional Quark. I'm still using one of the 2x123 high cri xpg models and I can't find a thing out there that beats it. And I'm trying.

Seriously, I'm perfectly happy with a 200 lumen pocket light. In fact, I don't really want it to be brighter than that. It's not necessary. If you really need that much light, you need a bigger light.

I'm rambling now.

My two most used personal lights are an obsolete Quark and Surefire E1L. I also have an Oveready 6P that is great, but due to size doesn't really get carried. My keychain has a ss Peak high cri xpg Eiger and I have a copper high cri Beta. As far as I'm concerned, they are still at the top of the pack.

I also have a smattering of other Surefire G 2/3's and Quarks lying around the house. They just don't make them like they use to.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
If you are looking for the D25C with better tint and higher CRI, Vinh (V54 / Sky Lumen) sells a D25Cvn with an N219c emitter. That mod is called the "Spec 3" I believe.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do actually hear what you're saying Brasso. The lights i'm looking at now are Malkoff products. I like the MDC AA because it's crazy simple and super stout. The 2AA version should be here tomorrow. I'm strictly AA and AAA lights so that limits what I look at but what interests me now is simple and bomb-proof. The 115 lumens from the MDC AA is plenty of light for me and the sub lumen is handy every night. In all reality, not being able to find a new light that you like better than what you currently have isn't a bad thing! It means you've got what you need!

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm easily pleased. I have old lights and I have new lights and I can't wait to purchase newer lights. The point, it all depends on who and what you are. Me? I'm easily pleased.

My current set of lights are by Nitecore: HC90, EC4S and the TM16GT with a TUBE key chain light for an EDC.

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had not bought a new light in years, and I DO means years; until the new FourSevens Smart lights came out. The new Navi & Quark Smart QSL-X got me all excited.

The last new light prior to these that I bought, was the Dark Sucks/Promethous Blue Label that I ordered. I have been happily carrying my McGimzo Haiku for years now.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
No sure if there are any worth buying but it isn't stopping me from trying thats for sure!

I have been relying on ZL in pocket for 3 years or more,I beat the hell out of them and so far they have been tough as nails.

Is your experience different Brasso?

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brasso, you should take a look at Vinh's post about tearing down the MK3 by Zebralight. He considers it one of the best engineered 18650 lights and there was literally nothing he could do to improve the light. Coming from Vinh that's pretty impressive and durability of their lights is usually very good. I work a warehouse job some during the week so my SC5w gets beat up, dropped, banged against stuff and still works perfectly fine after a year.