Light Review: ACEBEAM H10 Headlamp (18650, 2x CR123)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The H10 is ACEBEAM's most powerful Headlamp with an impressive 2000lm burst mode (using an IMR 18650) and uses the high power MT-G2 LED array.

06%20H10%20angle%20P1150631.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a more detailed look:

Presentation is good with the ACEBEAM packaging. The box is sealed with a tamper evident tape.
01%20H10%20boxed%20P1150612.jpg

Inside there is a foam liner holding the contents in place.
02%20H10%20box%20open%20P1150614.jpg

In the box there is the H10 (with unlabelled 18650 inside it), spare O-rings, pocket clip, headband and mount, plus the instructions.
03%20H10%20box%20contents%20P1150621.jpg

The headband is fully assembled and opens out like this.
04%20H10%20headband%20P1150625.jpg

The headband mount has two retaining rings that line up with grooves in the body of the H10.
05%20H10%20holder%20P1150627.jpg

Looking at the back of the H10 you can see the shallow heat sink fins on the head, and the domed switch on top.
07%20H10%20tall%20P1150637.jpg

Surrounding the domed switch button is a rotating selector ring.
08%20H10%20switch%20P1150640.jpg

On the battery tube cap, the make, model and serial number are engraved.
09%20H10%20tailcap%20P1150643.jpg

As we will see further on, there is parasitic drain, so for transit (and to prevent accidental activation) as the supplied 18650 is fitted inside the H10, an insulating disc is included to break the circuit and lock-out the H10. You need to discard that white plastic disc to use the H10.
10%20H10%20tailcap%20off%20P1150644.jpg

Inside the tail-cap the negative terminal is a spring. The top edge of the battery tube makes contact with the gold ring-terminal on the circuit board.
11%20H10%20tailcap%20P1150648.jpg

Peering inside the battery tube there is a simple positive terminal surrounded by a plastic insulator.
12%20H10%20inside%20P1150652.jpg

The threads are almost square, perfectly cut, fully anodised and well lubricated.
13%20H10%20threads%20P1150655.jpg

With a large MT-G2 LED the reflector is relatively small and is textured to further smooth the beam.
14%20H10%20reflector%20P1150660.jpg

Looking straight at the MT-G2 LED.
15%20H10%20LED%20P1150662.jpg

Of course the H10 can be used as a right-angle light, but it is intended as a headlamp. Here it is fitted in the headband mount.
16%20H10%20mounted%20P1150666.jpg

At the back, the top strap fits into the headband adjustment loop to help keep it centred.
17%20H10%20strap%20detail%20back%20P1150669.jpg

Though the mount is a soft rubber, the strap is threaded through the mount to keep the elastic strap itself against the user's head. This provides maximum comfort.
18%20H10%20mount%20detail%20back%20P1150673.jpg

Some of the detail in the rubber mount's moulding.
19%20H10%20mount%20detail%20front%20P1150682.jpg

A pocket clip is provided for when the H10 is used out of the headband mount. It clips into either one of the grooves that are used for the headband mount. You cannot leave the clip on and fit it back into the headband mount properly. The clip is stiff to fit and has already marked the anodising.
20%20H10%20clip%20P1150687.jpg

The beam

Please be careful not to judge tint based on images you see on a computer screen. Unless properly calibrated, the screen itself will change the perceived tint.

The indoor beamshot is intended to give an idea of the beam shape/quality rather than tint. All beamshots are taken using daylight white balance. The woodwork (stairs and skirting) are painted Farrow & Ball "Off-White", and the walls are a light sandy colour called 'String' again by Farrow & Ball. I don't actually have a 'white wall' in the house to use for this, and the wife won't have one!

For most purposes, a headlamp benefits from a flood beam, as it is generally used as task light. The H10, with its large LED and small reflector doesn't disappoint, with a wide and even flood beam.
22%20H10%20indoor%20beam%20P1170359.jpg

Moving outdoors...
For the full set of beam-shots, please go to the Exclusive Content at Tactical Reviews, but remember to return to this forum to discuss the review.

Modes and User Interface:

The H10 has a two-stage domed button switch, and surrounding this a selector ring. The selector ring has four tactile stops for the four normal modes (1000lm, 500lm, 200lm, 30lm).

At any time (either from OFF or from any normal mode) a full press of the button gives you the maximum output 2000 lm Burst mode. When the button is released, the H10 returns to the previous state (either from OFF or any normal mode).

To turn onto a normal mode, half-press the button and hold for 2s. The H10 will then come onto the mode set by the selector ring. The mode can be pre-selected before turning on, or selected once the H10 is on.
To turn OFF, half-press the button and hold for 2s.

Batteries and output:

The runs on a supplied LG18650HE2 20A 2500mAh IMR 18650 cell, but can use any button top 18650 or 2xCR123, both of which will limit the maximum output.

To measure actual output, I built an integrating sphere. See here for more detail. The sensor registers visible light only (so Infra-Red and Ultra-Violet will not be measured).

Please note, all quoted lumen figures are from a DIY integrating sphere, and according to ANSI standards. Although every effort is made to give as accurate a result as possible, they should be taken as an estimate only. The results can be used to compare outputs in this review and others I have published.

For Detailed output measurements, please go to the Exclusive Content at Tactical Reviews, but remember to return to this forum to discuss the review.

Peak Beam intensity measured 6800 lx @1m giving a beam range of 165 m.

There is parasitic drain at and average of approximately 62uA (it varies between 32 and 93uA) which would mean a fully charged 2500mAh cell will take 4.6 years to drain.

Due to the extreme nature of the 2000lm Burst mode....

For the runtime graph, please go to the Exclusive Content at Tactical Reviews, but remember to return to this forum to discuss the review.

Troubleshooting

This section is included to mention any minor niggles I come across during testing, in case the information helps anyone else.

No issues were encountered during testing.

As per the description of this section, this information is provided in case anyone else finds a similar 'issue' that might be fixed in the same way.

The ACEBEAM H10 in use
Two highlights of the H10 are its lovely smooth flood beam and the neutral/warm tint of the MT-G2 LED. These features allow you to focus entirely on the task you are doing and not even think about the headlamp.

A single 18650 makes for a comfortable weight to have head mounted, and thanks to the use of a top-strap as well, you don't need to have the headband very tight for it to stay securely in place. A top-strap really does improve comfort. With the strap routed through the mount so that it is the strap itself that is against your forehead, again comfort is very good.

What I don't like are interfaces that make you wait for the light to come on or go off, and unfortunately, the H10 requires a half-press, wait, and 2s later the light comes on (with the same for off). If you fully press the button by mistake you get the full 2000lm burst output, which is not a nice surprise, and you have to try again to get the H10 to come on. For every day use, I'd much prefer the on/off to be controlled by a simple click, and the burst to require a longer hold, but perhaps only 1s before it activates.

With gloves on, or with cold hands, I found the half-press unreliable, or at least my ability to find the half-press position. 2000lm when you wanted 30lm is not good.
Still, that beam is worth the wait when you are not rushing to do anything, and once on and running, the H10 melts away and you just have light.

Depending on how many lights you use, you might also not hit the right mode first time. There are no marks on the selector ring to indicate which mode you have chosen. A few simple marks would make the pre-selection of modes so much easier. If this was your main light you would quickly learn the positions, and there is a stop at each end of the selections, so you can simply turn it all the way one way until it stops, then count the clicks back to the mode you want.

Parasitic drain is acceptable, but with fully anodised threads you can lock-out the H10 easily.

The optional clip can be fitted into either groove on the body to give up or down positioning. Fitting is very stiff and does mark the anodising, so depending on if this bothers you, you may choose to make it a dedicated right-angle light or leave it as a headlamp. Swapping between the two will scratch the H10.

The H10 gives its specified outputs effortlessly including the impressive 2000lm burst mode (as long as you use IMR), and has not had any issues with heat. In normal use and for indoor jobs, I find the 1000 lm output too high so use it on 500lm or below. When outdoors I have ramped up to the 1000 lm mode but the added airflow seems to cope with the extra heat easily.

The lowest mode is named 'firefly'...I would not want to meet the firefly that provides 31 lm! that 31 lm output with the flood beam is a great mode, and one I use a lot, but I'd prefer it if there was a 1lm or lower mode as a true firefly level.

Review Summary

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Things I likeWhat doesn't work so well for me
______________________________________________________________________________________________
2000 lm Burst mode.Half-Press-and-Hold for 2s to turn on and off.
Smooth flood beam.'Firefly' mode a bit bright at 31 lm.
Secure and comfortable to wear.Mode selector ring has no markings.
Well regulated output.Pocket clip scratches the anodising.
Nice tint from the MT-G2 LED.Needs IMR for best performance.
20A IMR cell supplied.
Well spaced modes.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! Wow! Constant 1000 lumens for 45 mins with a 2500 mAh cell. Even Zebralight can't match that. Is the MTG2 that much more efficient and generate that much less heat, or has Acebeam ignored the need for temperature control?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review! Wow! Constant 1000 lumens for 45 mins with a 2500 mAh cell. Even Zebralight can't match that. Is the MTG2 that much more efficient and generate that much less heat, or has Acebeam ignored the need for temperature control?

Just to clarify, when carrying out static runtime tests, I have to use a cooling fan. It is just a small USB powered brushless fan, but keeps the air moving well enough. Without this fan the runtime might well show temperature controls kicking in. I'm not really happy to run these tests without cooling as they are normally unattended once I start them off, and I am running them in my house.

I was very impressed with the H10's performance.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
Thanks for the review.

Some questions though.
1)Are you able to do "1 handed" mode changes? Meaning is the ring selector smooth enough to change modes without altering the direction of the beam. I do a lot of note taking in the dark, don't wanna blind myself.
2) What is the max output with protected cells? I rather use my high capacity protected cells for runtime than shear power (I got other lights that can do that)
3)Will it fit the larger/longer batteries?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.

Some questions though.
1)Are you able to do "1 handed" mode changes? Meaning is the ring selector smooth enough to change modes without altering the direction of the beam. I do a lot of note taking in the dark, don't wanna blind myself.
2) What is the max output with protected cells? I rather use my high capacity protected cells for runtime than shear power (I got other lights that can do that)
3)Will it fit the larger/longer batteries?

The slight delay in replying was me going to check a few things:

1) Yes, no problem. As you do it, the whole mount moves a tiny bit, but returns to where it was once you let go.
2) I'm not going to measure this as the rig is not set up right now, but I would suggest that the Burst output will be limited, but the 1000lm output should be fine for as long as the cell can keep up.
3) The longest cell I have is an Xtar protected 18650, and this fits without any issue. More than that I cannot say.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
The slight delay in replying was me going to check a few things:

1) Yes, no problem. As you do it, the whole mount moves a tiny bit, but returns to where it was once you let go.
2) I'm not going to measure this as the rig is not set up right now, but I would suggest that the Burst output will be limited, but the 1000lm output should be fine for as long as the cell can keep up.
3) The longest cell I have is an Xtar protected 18650, and this fits without any issue. More than that I cannot say.

Koo, very interesting indeed. Thanks once again.

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
3) The longest cell I have is an Xtar protected 18650, and this fits without any issue. More than that I cannot say

Excellent review. I think the stock battery length is 65.3mm. Keeppower 3400mAh size is about 68.8mm. If this much long battery can fit and work, I will go ahead and buy H10. Dear can you confirm the length of your Xtar battery or alteast tell us the model so we could google and see its length in order to establish if the keeppower battery would fit?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
3) The longest cell I have is an Xtar protected 18650, and this fits without any issue. More than that I cannot say

Excellent review. I think the stock battery length is 65.3mm. Keeppower 3400mAh size is about 68.8mm. If this much long battery can fit and work, I will go ahead and buy H10. Dear can you confirm the length of your Xtar battery or alteast tell us the model so we could google and see its length in order to establish if the keeppower battery would fit?

I'll have a look at this as soon as I can. If it is shorter than the 68.8mm I may have a couple of thin magnets I can pop onto the negative terminal to make it longer and give it a true test. Please bear with me...

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so it turns out the Xtar is 69mm long and I had one that beat even that cell (a Nextorch one) at 70mm if you count the bumps on the negative contact. The Nextorch one looked too long as it was about 1mm from being level with the end of the battery tube, but the tailcap did go on and it worked. So with the sample I have a 70mm long cell does just fit, but I wouldn't go any longer than that.

khaleeq

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so it turns out the Xtar is 69mm long and I had one that beat even that cell (a Nextorch one) at 70mm if you count the bumps on the negative contact. The Nextorch one looked too long as it was about 1mm from being level with the end of the battery tube, but the tailcap did go on and it worked. So with the sample I have a 70mm long cell does just fit, but I wouldn't go any longer than that.

Thankyou. Much appreciated. It has made it a lot easier to make buy-decision.

Latest posts