Rechargeable EDC, 1 or 2 18650, tail switch, neutral white (does it exist?)

jpaul

Newly Enlightened
Hi! This is my first post here, and I'm basically a newbie in lights. I want to get a good flashlight mainly for EDC and camping. I don't currently own any 18650s or a charger, so I was thinking that starting with a rechargeable flashlight is a good idea, and later on expanding my equipment with some an Opus charger, 18650 batteries, and a headlamp. Short summary of my preferences: EDC-sized, rechargeable but should work with (and preferably charge) other 18650 cells, should have a tail switch, not be too expensive (is sub-$80 possible?), and come in neutral white. Nitecore MH12 or Klarus XT11S would fit the bill, but I'm afraid their color temperatures will be too cold? Or am I being irrational?

Best regards,
jpaul

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
__x__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
Though is has to ship to Europe.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
__x__Up to $100.

3) Format:
__x__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
__x__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__x__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
__x__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__x__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
__x__I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
__x__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
__x__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
__x__I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__x__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
__x__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__x__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
__x_Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__x__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
__x__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
__x__I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
__x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
__x__I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")

14)Material/Finish/Coating
__x__I don't care.

15) Water resistance
__x__IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
__x__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore MH20 or MH20GT if you want the throw version. These are highly regarded lights and you can charge them over USB. I know it doesn't have a tail switch but it is such a good light that you might think about it. It does come ina neutral version.

Edit: there is also the MH12 that does have a tail switch and comes in neutral white but it is a good 15cm long.

Last edited:

jpaul

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MH20 or MH20GT if you want the throw version. These are highly regarded lights and you can charge them over USB. I know it doesn't have a tail switch but it is such a good light that you might think about it. It does come ina neutral version.

Edit: there is also the MH12 that does have a tail switch and comes in neutral white but it is a good 15cm long.
I hadn't considered the length of the flashlight, and you're right: that's a bit too long to keep in a pocket. The Klarus is also the same length. MH20/MH20GT looks good though, it's a shame about the tail switch, but it's a solid plan B. Any other ideas?

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
The Thrunite TC12 NW fits, but mode selection is done through the side switch.
While it isn't a bad idea to start with a rechargeable flashlight, it won't save all that much money vs a more traditional solution up front. A Convoy S2+, Opus charger/analyzer, and battery would probably cost a similar amount.

jpaul

Newly Enlightened
The Thrunite TC12 NW fits, but mode selection is done through the side switch.
While it isn't a bad idea to start with a rechargeable flashlight, it won't save all that much money vs a more traditional solution up front. A Convoy S2+, Opus charger/analyzer, and battery would probably cost a similar amount.
You know what, I think I'm just gonna go with that. The Convoy S2+ seems great and is cheap, and I'm going to need a headlamp as well in the near future. Thanks for the help! Any thoughts on number of 7135s and color temp?

Thanks to you too, staticx57, but yeah, I really like me a tail switch :)

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
7135s provide a set amount of power to the LED, and S2+ generally use 4, 6, or 8 chips. Less chips means greater efficiency, while more chips means higher max current and therefore brightness. However, since the extra current is linear while we perceive brightness logarithmically, you see a large drop in runtime for not much more light. Colour temp, on the other hand, is quite noticeable. Neutral 'daylight' tint is generally considered 5000k. Lower numbers mean warmer and more incan-like. Higher means cooler/more blue. Among flashaholics, there seems to be a wide range of preferences with the majority in the 4000k to 5500k range. If you haven't really had experience with tints, I recommend around 5000k, but everyone has their own preference (I like 4000k myself). :D
Mountain Electronics sells a Convoy S2+ with 6*7135 and an XM-L2 T6 3B emitter for under $20.
On a side note, there is also the BLF A6/Astrolux S1 that often goes on sale for around $25. It is also worth checking out if you want more modes.

Poppy

Flashaholic
4 or 6 x 7135s is what I would get.
4 would be a lower output but get you better run-times.

about 560 vs 740 lumens on high but you'll get about 1.5 times the run-time on 4 vs 6 on high.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I agree with TheShadowGuy.
The 3B is a nice tint.

I'm not an expert on headlamps, but I just got a Crelant CH10 from GearBest $20
I haven't worn it for hours but only for a few minutes at a time, but I like it very much.
It takes an 18650, has two programmable modes, and a double tap (kinda hidden) strobe, and SOS.

You can ramp the first two modes up or down to anywhere within its range. Moonlight to 480 lumens.
So you can set it to come on low, then high, or high then low. Your preference.

jpaul

Newly Enlightened
Great! I bought a Convoy S2+ with a 4C LED and 8x7135 since that's what they had in stock where I ordered the Opus charger. But it's cheap, so I'll just order a new one if I don't like it. It's going to be fun trying it out! I'll be sure to pick up a Crelant headlamp too.

Thanks!
jpaul

Poppy

Flashaholic
The 4C is also a nice tint that many prefer. It is warmer than the 3B.

On high, with 8*7135s you'll get almost 900 lumens, and about 1 hour 15 minutes run-time. Initially the light may get a little hot, so you'll want to hold it in your hand, to help dissipate the heat.

Once again... I really like the S2+

You can also get a short body for it and run it on 18350 batteries. That makes it a little more pocket friendly.

Enjoy. :)

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad I can help even if it just helped you narrow down what you are looking for. Enjoy the Convoys they are excellent lights easily performing in the range of lights that cost 2-3x as much. I have 5 S2+s and they are all great.

jpaul

Newly Enlightened
Hey, since you seem knowledgeable on the S2+: I've read that there's no step-down on high. What does that mean for temperatures? Wouldn't it be harmful for the light and/or battery since it runs so hot with eight 7135? But: since it'll run on protected batteries, maybe that won't be an issue?

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a modded one with an XPL @ 3 amps.
Your 8*7135 is 2.8 amps.

After a couple of minutes, literally two, the head was uncomfortably hot to hold. The body was still temperate. At four minutes the head was a little hotter. Allowing my hand to absorb some of the heat, probably is enough to protect the LED. I believe that if it is too hot to hold, that you should cut back or risk damage to the LED or driver. I'm not an expert, so if someone corrects me, that's fine.

The battery protection is not for heat, but I don't think it will affect the battery.

I am sure that you will find that medium is high enough for most tasks, when low doesn't quite cut it.

Most of mine are driven at 1400 ma, and I use medium more often than high, but there is no concern about running it on high at that level.

jpaul

Newly Enlightened
Okay! I'll try running it, and if it gets too hot, I should just be able to de-solder two or four of the 7135s. Or maybe just get a second S2+ with 4x7135 :D Or perhaps an Astrolux S1.

jpaul

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, probably. Can't wait to actually receive it and start using it.