Headlight Sandpitting

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
My company truck has sandpits on the plastic headlights. Any easy ways to remove them? Many of us here in the desert have this and windshields, too. On windshields, I wait for a big chip to replace it but, the headlight issue is one I don't know what is best.

Thanks,

RL

Sadden

Enlightened
Replacement OEM headlamps is the best solution. Then I would use a protective film on the headlamps. They oxidise and yellow over time as well, so you need to replace the film (every year or so is okay) but its much cheaper than replacing the headlamps every year or two.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Sadden is right on all counts. Pay especially careful attention to where he says OEM headlamps, that is original-equipment parts, the ones sold by the maker of your truck. All—yes all—of the aftermarket replacements (Depo, TYC, Eagle Eye, Diften, and a whole lot of others) are unsafe junk no matter how loudly (and fraudulently) they babble about "OEM quality", "NSF Certified", "DOT/SAE approved", etc.

Lens pitting severely degrades the headlamps' performance and increases their glare. If replacing the lamps isn't on the budget for now and you need to keep going with the ones you have, you can improve them somewhat with this technique.