Best All-Arounder?

pooneej

Newly Enlightened
Wondering what everyone suggests as the 'best all around' light? That is, great throw along with great flood (crazy bright for pitch black conditions when no moon on desolate roads), runtime on turbo/high for at least 1hour. I see that all lights do a stepdown from turbo, which ones stay on turbo the longest (assuming it will be 20 degrees out or colder).

My application will mainly be for outdoor - running, walking dogs, working around the yard at night, store in car for emergencies, etc.

I am kicking around the idea of these -
Thrunite TN36
Thrunite TN40
Thrunite V5 (is it just a thrower with not much flood?)
Acebeam K60
Niteye/Jetbeam T6
Fenix TK75

I have a really small collection which consists of Klarus G30, Olight SR Mini Intimidator II, Niteye Eye30. Gave away my Klarus ST12 which I didnt find adequate for my needs. Great light but needed 'more'.
Of the ones I do still have, I may just prefer the Klarus G30 over the others because of the throw and spread but I rotate them when I do my early morning runs. The Niteye Eye30 I love for the ring selector. When its pitch black out and when its cold out, its kind of tough to fumble for a switch and selecting what mode/level.

With that said, which of the ones I'm considering would you guys suggest? thank you

arKmm

Enlightened
Malkoff Hounddog MD4?

A truly great but simple torch. Enough lumens (1000) for almost all tasks, great beam that can throw a respectable distance but also spills enough.

Its considered a great purchase for LEOs for its ability to do all tasks well, and it's simple UI is great.

There are brighter torches out there for sure, but when you step up into the 2000+ lumen camp, you start to have a heavy trade off with battery life and also heat sinking meaning turbo can't go for more than a few minutes.

ven

Flashaholic
Tough call, you have a nice list going there, the k60vn is a nice option for sure
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?401941-K60vn-First-XHP70-Thrower
mist in the air(pics obv dont do justice, just a rough idea)

Big-ish light so does pretty good in the higher outputs, really if you want turbo to run you need mass. Bare in mind turbo is just that, a quick burst/bonus mode and not meant for long duration's. Look at the lower modes, the high and medium on lights, these types of levels are more sustainable for lengthy periods.

If you get a dual 18650 light thats is 2000lm, chances are you might get 1000lm continuous..........Buy a 6000/7000lm pop can type light(say a tn36 as one example) you may get a continuous 2000-3000lm output, light/size dependent.

The tn36UT or tn36UTvn(13k lumens) reaches out far through sheer power, enough to reach across a field easy and light the whole field up.
tn36vn(MKR version bumped to 8300 OTF lm)

For a smaller more easy to carry light, the r50vn with an xhp50 shaved dome............very nice all round beam and can slip in a pocket(without clown pants)

Mass and run time on high output, rc40vnT (also an rc40vnF version with 6x xhp70's which reaches out very far with a wall of light)

rc40vnT 8000lm and 500kcd-ish

Where as the tn36 will get hot after a while at say 7000lm, the rc40vnT will carry on running..............

So you will struggle with most lights on 100% output, think of a rough amount that you might want and can see what flashlight might fit close to an all round type beam and run at a sufficient output.

Out of the list, the k60 and t6 stand out to me, also the tk75 all be it a bit boring in standard trim. I would go to the vinh side, the tk75 is turned from a 4000lm 100kcd light to a 5000lm 360kcd beast. This has been superseded by the t6vn at 6300lm and 430kcd
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?417421-T6vn-Favorite-High-Output-Thrower

Fine for walking, dogs,gardens etc but not for running or maybe real long walks as the size will probably end up being left at home. Then a smaller light will end up being reached for convenience .......
ec60vn is another option here for a more convenient carry, but may not be enough output from your asks
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?423121-EC60vn-26650-XHP35-)

Think down the line, what you would be happy carrying for a long duration , the new out 26650 lights seem a pretty good happy medium IMO.
tk75vnQ70 size

tn36vn size

r50vn(26650 size) turbo 2600lm(factory around 2300)

Just thoughts

ven

Flashaholic
TN36UTvn or K70

Both great lights for sure, but one is a flooder and the other a thrower. All rounder needs to be good at both, decent throw and spill.................the k70 though is not too bad being 2600lm in v54 guise. The spill is usable, but would put the k60vn for a better all rounder imo anyway.

k70vn

pooneej

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for suggestions from experience :)

I'm narrowing it down to the TN36 and K60. Running with a 2lb flashlight isn't too big of a deal for me, I've been doing 7 mile + runs with my Niteye EYE30 which loaded is probably close to 2lbs. The TN36 I like because of the output and heat that should help keep hands warm when cold out. The K60 I like because of the selector ring.

I'll probably end up getting the K60 first then a month or so later (cold December mornings) the TN36.

thanks - Ven: great selection of lights you get to choose from! I'm building up my collection. slowly.

ven

Flashaholic
Both are great lights, both super useful ! Best way, that way you get to enjoy the light some before getting distracted with the next...........

Look at the vinh version with the shaved dome, really does make a nice difference (k60vn)

pooneej

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah forgot to mention - a day or so after my original post I picked up a Nitecore SRT7 off of ebay just for the heck of it (price was nice and I was itching while making up mind on the other lights). It would be just about perfect if it had longer runtime on high as well as crazy throw and spill. Its my new favorite light right now because I just got it and mostly because I love the UI. That ring is just right for my needs - easy scrolling thru modes on the 'run' with adjustable output. No need to click a switch for output modes.

thanks Ven = will check out modded vinh lights. :)

ven

Flashaholic
I like the control ring UI myself although its not for everyone
Off the top of my head, ones i have or had with the UI
K70vn
K60vn
tn32UTvn

SWM v11r(nichia 219C) infinite control so no steps like the others

HDS rotary

x40vn(infinite)

pooneej

Newly Enlightened
Update - - well it took about a month kicking it around but I ended up with a stock K60. Absolutely love it so far. Right now, it is perfect and exactly what I was looking for. It's got great spill into some distance and is crazy bright for pitch black morning runs. Its really not heavy or cumbersome for running (for me). An added benefit which I was hoping for was that it does generate some heat ( It doesnt get as hot as other reviews mentioned, at least from my perspective although it was 32 degrees F out that morning) and helps warm hands.

I did try to save some money a week before getting the K60 by purchasing a Thorfire S70. Specs on it were good and price was almost 1/3 of the K60. Thing is, I never got to really try it. It worked for all of 3 seconds. Turned it on to check it out. was very bright. Went to go run with it and it never turned on again. Returned it 1 day after purchase.

thanks again ven for your suggestions . Another month or so maybe will pick up the Fenix TK75 or Thrunite TN36 :)
or a Nitecore TM03 or Jetbeam BC40GT or.. hahha you know how it is.

ven

Flashaholic
No probs, the tk75 is another nice light but it will not reach out as far as the k60, nor is the beam as nice with the 4 reflectors. Output wise is also a little lower than the k60...............so i would look at another type tbh.

The tn36UT is a good pop can, floody and decent reach in a more compact package. tm03 ............not keen on many things there. Would be better off with an olight r50 pro or acebeam fed on 26650 fuel.
Check some of vinhs lights out, the olight x7vn is pushing 16,000 lumens of craziness:D

ven

Flashaholic
Thats a damn good deal staticx, rude not to for that amount :D

Its a nice light, no question there, added flexibility with the run time kits............decent light to have around the house/property or for emergency uses.