Brad's E2 LED

Brock

Flashaholic
Brad\'s E2 LED

Well I just got it and I am impressed. Brad I have to say you have done a much nicer job than I would have guessed. It looks like it was made in a machine shop!

Now it is brighter than the Photon and I would say identical to the Streamlight Stylus. The "Brad LED" has a nicer output in the E2 than any single LED light I have. I believe this has a lot to do with the reflector in the E2, and Brad has done a good job exploiting it.

I measured the LED pulling 90mA on new 123's. I though this is going to fry the LED in a short time so I left it burning while I set up the camera and got the other lights ready. I took the shots with the light still running and then took it apart after about 30 min of constant on, it was just warm, not hot at all. So now I am wondering how much of that 90mA is going in to the resistor and how much is getting to the LED. I am sure we can figure it out, Brad what was the resistance value in this setup? Either way I thought it was going to be too much but now I don't think so. Also if there is any heat build up the metal parts dissipate it from the LED to the body of the flashlight itself. Very nice.

Brad you might make the LED stick up just a bit less. I think the LED in mine might actually be touching the lens. I know you probably want the entire LED inside the reflector to get more light, but even 1 mm lower would do the trick.

e2-led.jpg

Brock

Re: Brad\'s E2 LED

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cyclops942:
Brock,

What's the reason for the apparent difference in the E2 LED beam between the comparison with the E1 Incandescent and the Photon?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have to guess it's an auto-exposure camera... White balance is different on the E1 pic, because of the "yellow" light.

My 2 cents...
smile.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

Woops, ok, I just re-took the shot locking the camera to the same settings, I forgot in the first image and it auto color corrected. So now the camera was set the same both times. No color correction and 1/6 sec. Anyone reading this now never saw my first goof. Thanks for catching that Cyclops. Gadget, you are correct!

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brock,

I'm glad you liked the lamp. It's using a 22 ohm 1/2 watt resistor. I tried a 10 ohm resistor and it was pulling 110mA. I lowered the LED a little in my other lamp so it doesn't bump the lens. Thanks.

Brad

White balance strikes again! (I think...)
smile.gif

I think the camera sees the bright yellow-ish light of the xenon bulb and corrects color for it. Since all pics are now shown at same setting, LEDs look blue compared to the incredible brightness of the xenon bulb.

Brock, your thoughts?
wink.gif

Do I get a prize?
grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

I`m not sure why but on my laptop screen the Photon beam looks whiter, wider...maybe even brighter. I know that`s not possible. Were the comparisons taken with them both running at the same time, in the same pic or seperatly? Is your labeling maybe reversed? Is it just my screen?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I just re-took the shot locking the camera to the same settings, I forgot in the first image and it auto color corrected. So now the camera was set the same both times. No color correction and<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why I asked. He said there was no color correction, but it's not clear whether they were taken at the same time. Even if that were true, it still shouldn't color correct when shot against the Photon.

KenB: I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 17" monitor, and it appears that way on my screen too. It would have to be brighter than the Photon, though. I've done something similar with an Infinity light and 2 CR2 batteries that are just smaller versions of the 123s. It's definitely brighter than the Photon, and I know for sure since I'm using the Photon II turquoise LED in it. Plus there's no way the Infinity reflector is as good as the E2. Maybe a longer exposure would help.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes. The Photon case parts are sitting in my closet, but the LED is in my Infinity light. You may not be familiar with a thread a couple weeks back, but I dissected mine. In fact, the CR2 batteries ran low, so I've been using a 544 battery in it with some crumpled up aluminum foil to make up for the space in the shaft. I would say it's still brighter than the Photon (atleast when new) but the 544 battery doesn't last very long.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

-Just an idea 4 you, Guy
How about using rechargeable 1/3 AAs (x3) -giving you a total of 3.75-4v for your turquoise LED? (Batts. have about 110mah capacity)
-I tried this in my Infinity and
they fit absolutely perfectly.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did you leave the original head in it with the coil? When I hooked the original head up to a 123 battery it kicked butt. Bright as hell, but I assumed it was blowing the LED. Plus it made it look turquoise (the LED was green).

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guy
What's the voltage of that 123?
(and were you referring to Brads
E2 conversion or to the Infinity)?
confused.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

On the Infinity....
The batts. were put into the Infnity with the unaltered head. (stock)
-I like your idea about converting the Infinity over tothe strong turquoise LED I got from B.G.Micro.
p.s.-I sure don't see ANY voltage/overload problem with no
more than 5 volts -on the true green LED (InGan)-unless you'd b
using HUUGE batteries.
grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

The "Brad LED" does look more blue compared to the Photon. The photon is dimmer, but slightly wider and whiter in color. I think the E1 makes the LED appear more blue, your eye sees the yellowish color and then the white seems to turn more blue in color.

I guess to me all white LED's have a bluish tint and it just is more obvious when comparing them to an incandescent lamp.

Brock

Brock

Flashaholic

I have 4 white Photons and of the 4 that is the brightest and whitest. They are all a bit different. I also did have new batteries in it, under 15 min run time. I would agree that the E2-LED is definitely brighter than the Photon, maybe it didn't show up as well in the photos, but it is. The light is on its way to Craig (Telephony) as we speak. So hopefully he will get it and give us some more details on the LED itself.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brock,

The LED I sent you is the nice white one from B.G. Micro. The cheaper LED I used before was way more blue and had a small X shape in the center. I wonder why the Photon is whiter. I'm going to buy new batteries for my photon tonight. I know I had less then an hour on them. I thought those batteries were going to last 12 hours or so.
Either the kids were playing with the light and left it on or my batteries were defective. The E2 LED lamp was way brighter then my Photon but not yours. I will check again with the new batteries tonight.

Brad