Which charger for general Li-Ion charging?

Face

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I have both an Xtar VC4 and a Opus BT-C3100 (v2.2).

I was wondering which of the two above chargers gives the best "quality" charge to the Li-Ion cells; basically I guess which is the better charger?

Many thanks,

Face

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are very few such Li-ion chargers that are so bad that you should worry about the quality of the charge (i.e. that they will grossly accelerate degradation or pose much more serious safety hazards than others). Instead, you should compare them based on other parameters: features, convenience, UI, price/performance ratios, longevity, etc.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
I have had both chargers, although i will not say which is better for "quality", had a vc4 and a nice charger but found it had trouble sustaining even low rates on the 4 bays(0.5a per bay and 1a for 1+4) so it went............The bt c3100 is still here and more than happy with, cant fault other than loud fan now and then(bought a spare just in case ages back for not much more than a $). It copes fine on 1a x 4 bays,often use the 1.5a for my vape cells for a slightly quicker charge. Display is not as fandangly but its functional with the V / mah read out.

So my vote goes on the opus, would I buy another.............hell yeh!

As mr gauss said, your hard pushed these days to find a bad charger, xtar/nitecore are the more well known manufacturers and both make decent chargers. There is the new dragon from xtar on the horizon, not sure yet if its worth the extra money or not. But if cost is not too much of an issue and potentially one of the better chargers, might be worth a little wait............."might".

For not much over $30, the opus still makes a good choice, possibly 1/3 the cost of the dragon and even then makes a great back up if needed(you know as the lights come in and more bays are needed:whistle:)

:)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Ven, I too have both the VC4 and the Opus BT-3400 (US version, same charger) and I think that for $20 more, you'd be better served with the 3100/3400 than with the VC4, unless for some reason, you need it for its USB 5v input--say to run with a USB solar panel.

It does more, does most of it pretty well and I got mine with a 3A cigarette/car adapter, so I'm good there. The VC4 is a good deal cheaper, but I've left mine at my GF's place and use my Opus here, or my Xtar VP2.

She better figure it out quickly, since Hurricane Matthew is blowing through town over the next 10 hours.

I wish her well.

Chris