good 4 foot LED shop light suggestions? Or a place to look for reviews?

SunnyOwl

Newly Enlightened
We have a 1400 square foot garage that currently has four 4 foot fluorescents controlled by a single pole switch (that has a motion sensor on it). Two of the fixtures have gone bad, another is in sad shape looks wise (long story ;) ). My wife dislikes flicker so I am thinking I may as well go with replacing all four fixtures with LED ones. If I can somehow splice into the wires and run about 6 feet of electrical cable from each I'd actually add 4 more so we can get rid of the garage's dark spots.

My google searching hasn't been strong enough to find any good reviews or suggestions. I am guessing I don't want the top of the line (since I assume that would come at hefty price), but I also don't want to go cheap, unless cheap is the best of course. Ideally they'd have a CRI of 85 or higher and be brighter than what we have now. Probably more white (cool) than yellow (warm). Ideally at a place I can get locally in case there are issues, but my local Lowe's didn't have much of a selection. I need to check Home Depot and Menards still.

Thoughts/suggestions on brands, models, or where to go for reviews? And not opposed to ordering on line if that is the way I have to go.

Thanks much!

mcnels1

Newly Enlightened
Instead of replacing the fixtures, how about keeping them and installing replacement LED bulbs? These are well reviewed: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SSNPGSC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

If your fixtures have electronic ballasts those bulbs should go in without any rewiring. If you've got older magnetic ballasts you'll need to remove them and re-wire inside the fixtures. Even if the bulbs are compatible with your current ballasts they will run more efficiently without the ballasts.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
So you are talking about 8 - 4 foot fixtures now? I picked up a 4 foot LED fixture out of a dumpster that was thrown away and I figured out it only had wiring problems (bad connection) and replaced a 4 foot T12 fluorescent fixture with it and it was rated at 5200 lumens but it is considerably brighter such that I my two other 4 foot fixtures in the garage I don't need now as the dark spots that they covered are a no longer a problem.
To put it short if you are going LED I suggest you not go out and buy 8 fixtures right away you may not need that many if you get LED ones that are about the same rated lumens (or more). I've not used the LED "tube" replacements myself but in another thread someone told me even though they are listed as less lumens than the fluorescents they replace in use they are brighter because they don't depend on over half their light being reflected downwards from the top and sides of the tubes.

As mcnels equates if you are considering the LED swaps I would go ahead and rewire all the fixtures taking all the ballasts out of the equation so the future failure of such ballasts is no longer an issue plus the power loss of converting up to higher voltage and down to LED voltage again is also not there too.

Last edited:

SunnyOwl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. One of the fixtures is beat up pretty bad, but maybe I can live with that for not having to replace it.

We only have a total of four fixtures right now, each with two 4-foot fluorescent in them. It may be a thought to convert these before adding what I thought I wanted to do (four new fixtures to make a total of 8).

I'm finding different reports of what is allowed in electrical code or not for splicing into an existing fixture. A lot of people say you can join inside the enclosure of the LED fixture, but I'm also seeing it has to be inside of a box mounted to the ceiling. So trying the convert first may be the way to go, but pondering still.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Not knowing your layout and electrical codes I do have a suggestion in that you could put actual cords on these fixtures and run them to existing outlets like all my lights are in the garage as I'm renting. Most likely the fixtures won't fit 4 tubes each that was an idea but even with LED tubes they may need breathing room between them so a fixture not designed for extra tubes probably won't work well. It may be cheaper if you need more fixtures to buy fluorescent tube fixtures and the LED tube conversions.
I'm not well versed about the tubes and I have seen a recall on one brand of them at the store probably first generation so before considering them double check reviews on them. My fixture is not a conversion I've priced the actual brand/model at over $100 it doesn't have the LED tubes I'm not sure what type/brand of LED emitters are in it but the color is closer to natural white than cool white fluorescent tubes are but nowhere near warm white. I figure it is probably in the 5500K range

SunnyOwl

Newly Enlightened
Well I bit the bullet and decided to get some LED replacements, bypassing the ballast. Hopefully it will work out well. I'll find out in a few days!

Thanks all!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

mbwesner

Newly Enlightened
I recently gutted and refurbished my 24x36 garage, and put these in...

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-P...ommon-4-ft-Actual-3-23-in-x-48-03-in/50352822

I have 6 total. it's like daylight in there, but not too bright. I really like them. garage is heated so I should be okay, but I've seen reviews where they don't like the cold....

I was also looking at these same lights recently and read the mediocre reviews of them in cold weather. I like how low profile they are though. They are just strip lights, but two strips. They don't have very good diffusers on them are are very dense/bright to look at.

I ended up buying 6 40 watt 4-foot LED strip light fixtures with diffusers from amazon, a company called US Green Lighting, an all US company. 5 year warranty. I am hoping they are less harsh to look at (low ceilings in my garage, so I don't want something so intense. These are 5000k

http://www.usglinc.com/specs/USGLSpec_L_SL4FT_40_XU_8X0_F001.1.6cv2.1.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6WQ4ND/?tag=cpf0b6-20

They say they are rated for -22F to 104F.

They are 3.5" or so in height, but that is not much more than the bulb+fixtures that they replace.

I will update with how they work out. I spent quite a while searching for these, it seems quite difficult to get much in terms of good reviews on these things.