A19 Base Homelighting

Sadden

Enlightened
My home has mostly A19 based lamps, I "upgraded" the incans to CFL's, and have never been very happy with the CRI, Reliability or CCT. I was browsing the store and see that LED options are still grossly overpriced up here. And the CRI is still catching up. So with many of the CFL's failing im looking to replace everything throughout the house.

I spotted a slyvania Halogen A19 base bulb and tried out the 100w replacement on my deck and am very happy. Excellent CRI, Perfect CCT and lots of light.

So i guess my question is who makes good halogen A19 bulbs?

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
I've been using Phillips Halogens, but lately i've switched to the GE Reveal. Keep in mind that the Reveal, due to it's filtering, will have few lumens than the equivalent regular halogen.

For example, the 72 watt Phillips (100-watt equivalent) puts out 1490 lumens, whereas the 72 watt GE Reveal puts out 1120 lumens.

For that reason, I've been using the GE Reveal 75-watt equivalent (53 watts/ 790 lumens) to replace my old 60-watt A19s (800 lumens).

On another note, you really need to check the lumens that are on the box, and not the "equivalency" rating. I've found some Phillips halogens that say they are 60-watt equivalent and give off roughly 800 lumens, and other batches that state a significantly lower value (e.g. 615 lumens):

53-watt, 800 lumens, 2780k:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-60W-Equivalent-A19-Halogen-Light-Bulb-12-Pack-465781/207074438

43-watt, 615 lumens, 2720k:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...-Long-Life-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-431502/204983941

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick clarification: A19 is the shape of the bulb: a round bulb approximate 19/8 (2-3/8) inches wide.

The standard screw base that in the US is shared by most bulbs (including A19, BR30, PAR20, etc) is called E26, which stands for Edison screw, 26mm.

Sylvania halogens seem easy to find in quite a few places.

I don't know where you live to guess at availability, but in one of the other threads, several users seem to like the Hyperikon brand of LED's available on Amazon. They include a couple high CRI models.

So far, I'm happy with the Feit brand available from Costco with 90+ CRI and a nice warm 2700 K CCT, as long as they're not used in a fully enclosed fixture (where I killed one).

As for price, in my area, I estimate a $10 LED bulb pays back for itself compared to a halogen in about 3 years (assuming 3 hours per day). Most areas have more expensive electricity than I do, so the payback is faster.

hydro_pyro

Newly Enlightened
I use the Feit "Enhance" or "Performance Series" 90+ CRI 800 lumen bulbs throughout my house. The drop-in recessed retrofit kits are also excellent, and less than $10 each at Menards. All of these bulbs are quick-on with no 60hz flicker. GE Reveal is also good.