Regarding Cree XP-L HI V3, What are actual benefits?

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Fenix flashlights, with various LED's. I have ordered a TK20R which has a "Cree XP-L HI V3". What are benefits that this new LED brings to the Fenix table (or any other table I guess)? Is it just runtime? Max lumens? I see it has no dome on it, are there implications? I am really curious to know more about what wonders this new Cree XP-L HI V3 makes possible.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Fenix flashlights, with various LED's. I have ordered a TK20R which has a "Cree XP-L HI V3". What are benefits that this new LED brings to the Fenix table (or any other table I guess)? Is it just runtime? Max lumens? I see it has no dome on it, are there implications? I am really curious to know more about what wonders this new Cree XP-L HI V3 makes possible.

The domeless emitter increases throw/CD rating. It also increases tint uniformity across the beam profile compared to domed emitters.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do we know if they are coming out with any new PD range 1x 18650 lights any time soon? Usually I stick to PD range but this TK20R coming out and only be like 1cm taller than the PD35 TAC and a slimmer head than my TK15, I had to order it. But I would be interested in a PD down the line if there is sufficient benefits like massive flooder or a beautiful neutral LED or dramatic runtime on high modes or something. Any news anywhere?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The domeless emitter increases throw/CD rating. It also increases tint uniformity across the beam profile compared to domed emitters.

Yep, this really is it in a nutshell. Well stated :thumbsup:

Do we know if they are coming out with any new PD range 1x 18650 lights any time soon? Usually I stick to PD range but this TK20R coming out and only be like 1cm taller than the PD35 TAC and a slimmer head than my TK15, I had to order it. But I would be interested in a PD down the line if there is sufficient benefits like massive flooder or a beautiful neutral LED or dramatic runtime on high modes or something. Any news anywhere?

I don't know the answer to your question, but the Fenix Store subforum on CPF is a great place to find the latest info on Fenix products. Whenever I have Fenix questions, the subforum moderators seem to answer them pretty quickly.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely more throw. I used the hi throw in two lights, one so I can get more runtime : you can see more with less current on a thrower light. . The other light was a headlamp with 12500 candela at 2 watts 2s18650 30mm smo:i can see dust and overspray ghosts on roof at 45 foot high and 80 foot distant. I failed thrice trying to do my own dedoming.

I have two xpl his. The second has beam color uniformity. . But, the first is horrible, very purple in center, nearly as bad as the 2012 pyramid Cree animal, whose name escapes me.

I have not noticed beam uniformity issues on my domed leds, either. . I do like, in theory, a perfectly uniform pool of 15 degree Hotspot, for white wall inspection. Beams below 8 degree are obnoxious. Above 12 degrees, impractical due to runtime and form factor limits. . 12 degree covers most of the eyeball cones.... I don't use a protractor, just a tape measure and trig calculator.

Last edited: